Note to New Members ×

Carving progression

najserrot

2 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Yes, a little bit.  But what I am saying is I don't think it is enough to where it will affect how you feel when you are riding.  So your back foot is a mm towards the heel and your front is a mm towards the toe, I don't think you'll feel that in your hips.

I agree.  I just do it for boot to board edge alignment.

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 4:22 PM, corey_dyck said:

Your front foot is pretty far back.  May I suggest putting your front foot right on the middle 4x4 insert pack?  The board makers have dialed in their boards around that foot position.  

Ok, did this today on the SL... and it felt sooo freaking  WEIRD! Moved the front bindings to the middle 4x4 so that the screws are directly in the middle of the binding. The back binding is still scrwed where it was the last time but had to move it towards the nise to get the same stance width

On to the positve side.... looks like i have been installing bindings on the board incorectly all theese years. The board felt more responsive to input. And much easier to ride. Took me quite some runs to get used to. But this is the way to go. On top of that i was able to ride twice as long as before. Everything just felt effortless  and i got less fatigued. 

On the flip side, since i went on mucking about with bias, I moved  back to theold setting where both toes and heels are equaly flushed on the edges and not minding the centered-boot-to-binding.

Just fir refference. When you guys say no heel over hang, which part of the boot is the "heel"?

20170113_173635.jpg

Adjusted the bindings like the pic above end ended up more or less close to the original setup i had. Wont be messing more with it.

I was able to ride a dedicated freecarve board the otherday. Was able to do all the things you guys mentioned to control speed. It was somewhat eye oppening in that i realize that there are things that i cant do on a race board.And that they want to go fast and i just needed to get comfortable with it and that while  the speed it rides is high, it is still stable and will hold crazy levels of edge.

Went back to my racebaords with this in mind and it just clicked. Learned to get comfortable with the speed... no more chatter. Over all a good ride. Will probably take more days to fully get comfy. 

On another note. I have been experimenting with stance width. Today. Im 164 cm. Stance is 45cm. Been trying narrower and wider. I somehow feel like all the stance between 40- 45cm were riddable. Hkw do you guys find your stance? I mean is it what you feel is more stable/less tiresome/ etc.? I was mkre stable at 45cm but more quad burn. 40 was less tiresome but less stable for me.

On 1/18/2017 at 0:37 PM, najserrot said:

On another note. I have been experimenting with stance width. Today. Im 164 cm. Stance is 45cm. Been trying narrower and wider. I somehow feel like all the stance between 40- 45cm were riddable. Hkw do you guys find your stance? I mean is it what you feel is more stable/less tiresome/ etc.? I was mkre stable at 45cm but more quad burn. 40 was less tiresome but less stable for me.

check this out if you haven't already -  http://www.alpinecarving.com/binding_setup.html

I am 5'11" and my stance is at 22" or so (almost 56cm). I do not like a narrower stance. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I could not even attempt to carve with that many people around...so I think you are doing great...maybe try, first on the chair, to get a run without anyone else to think about...I marvel at the people here, who call for others to take up the Carve, reality is that you cannot Carve freely with to many others on the slope...across the hill is dangerous with large numbers of people involved, especially those who are not aware of what you are going to do and thinking just going straight and fast is an indicator, that they are good...so Bravo to you !!! for your courage and love for the Carve  :biggthump

• Like 1

Hey Najserrot my biggest suggestion for your video is that you should have been in Kongsberg this weekend!  :cool:  No way I would have felt comfortable doing full c carves with that many people around! 

The conditions on sunday were excellent up at Funkelia and the crowds were pretty manageable.  Give me or tanglefoot a note if you get a chance to come up. Not sayin' that we'll have much input to improve your skills but maybe you'll look just that much better in comparison?

@nitroAre slalom courses for skis comparible to slalom courses for snowboards?  There are always courses set up at my local hill and I'm somtimes tempted to give one a try when they are using short gates.  I'm assuming the technique for riding gates is different then just pure carving?

Mind you, had to check uphill on every other turn. But anyone wanting to bomb the hill got discourged that day. At leat i didnt see any from the chair.

15 hours ago, nitro said:

Looks like some gates were set up on another run, maybe try to get some of that action....

That is a very steep slope slope. 35-45 deg on the uper top part *300m. Been practicing on this one and its scary as hell without the gates already. Plus norwegians take they're skiing seriously. They dont want no snowboarder disrupting their training =)

14 hours ago, st_lupo said:

Hey Najserrot my biggest suggestion for your video is that you should have been in Kongsberg this weekend!  :cool:  

Wrote tanglefoot last week since I thought of going up there. But decided to stay in Oslo after he described the weekend crowd. Will drop a message when im in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

So i've been playing on the black slopes lately after getting comfy on the blue lines. Cant find a descent red slope.

Something is happening once on every single run! Its during a heel side turn and towards the end just before the board gets perpendicular to the fall line. 

Somehow the tail releases its hold on the snow. I dont get over pressure anymore or chattering after learning to pressure at the beggining of the turn. But the tail just releases while the nose is still carving. I always end up falling down while the board is still turning so that when everything is done, im on my back and my head is pointing downhill and and the board base is pionting uphill.

For the life of me, i dont know what i happening there. I mean everything happens so much faster on a black line. Any ideas?

On 1/10/2017 at 6:12 AM, Jack Michaud said:

For toeside:

http://www.bomberonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/The-Toeside-Problem.pdf

As for centering your boot on the binding, it's really just personal preference, and a completely different issue than on skis.  Some people "bias" their bindings so the rear foot is more forward on the binding and the front foot is more rearward on the binding, or vice-versa.

Thank you Jack, this is great.  This describes me spot on. Nailing every heelside....struggling with toeside.  Hitting some....but just not consistent at all.  Thanks again!

• Like 2

Had a try at it again. was trying to be consciously aware on how my weight is Distributed on the Board. when i was warming up in the blue run, i notice that i automaticly load up the tail early. But on the back slopes my weight is mostly on the front leg during the Whole turn as suggested by Beckmann. I tried to make it it an effort to shift back, but it was not easy. Ended up taking off the inward canting of the back legg and have now purely lift on both legs. Somehow this made it easier

• Like 1

toes down "rips it" for me!!   you can take advantage of the whole range of motion in your calf muscle...A couple clicks of outward cant on both feet created a time warp on hs edge for me...

I found that Inward cant & toe lift kinks me up,, over pressuring the boards edge ,, usually well be 4 my weight can properly balance out the desired angulation...

• Like 2

On 1/18/2017 at 8:12 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

40 is very narrow by modern standards.  I ride 49.5 (19.5") at 184 cm tall.  For your height I think 44 would be roughly equivalent to what I am doing, assuming our inseams are proportional to our height.

I ride a 163 Donek FreeCarve, with a stance at 19.5".   My  height is  65.5" (166cm), the distance from the floor to the mid point of my kneecap is 18.5".  Is my stance too wide? Should I adjust my stance to closer to 18.5"?

4 hours ago, McKarver said:

I ride a 163 Donek FreeCarve, with a stance at 19.5".   My  height is  65.5" (166cm), the distance from the floor to the mid point of my kneecap is 18.5".  Is my stance too wide? Should I adjust my stance to closer to 18.5"?

we are about the same height. On a board with flat bindings I have 45 cm stance and on a board with heel/toe lift i have 47cm. I found this to be ideal for me after trial and error

Always unlucky with the crowd on days i bring the camera along. But got some clips to scrutinize.... this is cruising mode on a relatively easy slope

I really dont know what to do with the back hand. Most of the time it has a mind if its own

P.S. im only skimming my hand on the snow because my camera man insists =)