Note to New Members ×

Carving at Jackson Hole - Questions

Mister Sandman

Hi to all

Beginning of year I have the possibility of spending a couple of days riding in JH.

Never been there before and I am fairly new at hard boots and carving. Been focusing at (trying) learning PureBoarding style.

I heard that slopes are rather steep, mostly powder, not too wide. Not really ideal for Pureboarding.

Is this accurate? If so, and considering my limited carving experience, would you recommend I take my Coiler and Heads from NY all the way over there or it will not be worth it and might as well just rent softies?

Thanks to all!

Mister Sandman

I've never ridden there either, so I feel fully qualified to tell you that there is good grooming and carving in some of the runs off the Casper quad, not too steep perhaps.  If you will be there for just a couple of days, it will be a gamble of whether or not good carving conditions exist during that window. 

• Like 1

I've spent a few days at Jackson Hole two years ago and can offer some perspective.  Most of the blue runs are cat tracks across the mountain.  The blacks are rarely groomed and are like chutes, narrow and steep.  Bring an "all mountain" board and ride soft boots for the versatility.  Leave your race deck with plate system at home.  Hope for snow and bring a powder board just in case.  You CAN use the Pureboarding style anywhere, but as a self proclaimed new to hard booting snowboarder, stick to what you know. 

Jackson Hole can be an awesome experience with the right equipment and mental outlook, but if you go there thinking there are wide open runs at moderate grade and perfect grooming, you will be disappointed.  There is one area that is PERFECT for carving and that is off Casper's lift, but that's about it.  Going there with a board that can handle groom, chop, and fluff in one run, being prepared for a skier's mountain with moguls almost everywhere, you can have a lot of fun.

• Like 1

My experience with Jackson is way different. There is reall y good carving off aprevouz,Casper,thunder, the gondola and sublette chairs We have over 20 trips to Jackson and it is outstanding for carving. Sure it's outstanding for all types of skiing and riding. If you get freshies that's even better

• Like 1

Jackson hole is a great resort. As you face uphill it goes from mild to wild from right to left. On the far right are many green and easy blue nice wide open runs for easy carving and as you progress across the resort it it's steeper and narrower and much more difficult. I certainly would not recommend taking the gondola all the way to the top on your first run. I think you can have fun on pretty much any equipment at Jackson hole and would highly recommend taking your carving gear along with you. If you decided to switch to softies you could rent a set up for a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I echo the comments from powdahonz and drschwartz exactly. I happened to go to Wyoming for a week two years ago where all we had was sun and no fresh snow. There were lots of great groomers at both targhee and jh. The runs off the tram at jh were brutal for me at that time - steep and hard packed bumps. But otherwise lots of runs for carving. Imo a great place to bring a carver and a pow ride.

Timely question, as I am planning to take my son out west again this year.  He's an 18 year old intermediate/advanced skier. We had a good time at Vail and Breck last year. We're thinking of Big SKy, Whitefish or JH this year.  I prefer the wide blue groomers, he prefers the bowls/glades.    Of these 3, which in your experience would be the most "blue groom" friendly for me while giving him sufficient bowl/glad skiing?

We are in the NJ/NY area, so availability of limited-stop (or non-stop) flights is key, too.

thanks

Of those 3, I've only been to Big Sky, but I'd give it a recommendation.  We are having a weak early season, but things should pick up.  The only obvious disadvantage of Whitefish is the lower elevation.  Big Sky and JH are similar in elevation, but Big Sky has over twice the acreage of JH, and lots of it is blue groom.  Big Sky has a bunch of steep stuff that I don't plan on attempting myself.  You have to fly into Bozeman, rent a vehicle and drive some 40-50 miles to get here.

I spent 10 slope days there last February.  Its hardly a carving mountain.  Sure, its so big you can find good slope but that is blowing the Jackson Hole experience.  Honestly, there is so much gravity there that the mountain is downright tiring (since you are either carving hard to shed speed, or skidding hard to shed speed).  And that applies to any slope grade there.  "Flats" is not in the Jackson vocabulary.  And remember, there are really high end athletes there ripping that mountain at mach 11.  You better look behind u as they will fly out of the woods and be on you like an F16.   Attached is "three tower chute".  I did it the run before the pic.  No, I did not carve it.  One misstep and its your life.  Kick ass mountain !!  :)   Highly recommended.

three_tower_chute.jpg

Edited by sic t 2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Received an e-mail . . . 

Golden Ticket Promotion in effect Jan 11 thru Jan 31, 2016

"In honor of our 50th Anniversary, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort is offering our Golden Ticket Promotion.

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort is welcoming all skiers and snowboarders who own a winter resort season pass ANYWHERE in the world to come to 'The Big One' and receive a very special rate. Travel to Jackson between Jan 11 – 31, 2016, show your season pass from any ski resort worldwide and receive a 50% discounted lift ticket based on the valid in-resort, single day rate. Ski as many days as you like at 50% off the daily ticket rate during this time.

*Not valid with other offers or for JHMR Grand Pass holders. Not available for purchase online. Must show Valid Winter Season Pass 2015/16 and photo I.D.

Pass must be 10 days or more. Promotion is valid for passholder only. Non-transferable. Not For Resale. Please go to the season pass office to redeem."

1-888-DEEP-SNO