Note to New Members ×

TD3 SW with small boots?

AcousticBoarder

Just wondering if anyone knows for sure if I can use UPZ m25s with the TD3 SW? I have read about problems in fitting the standard TD3s on small boots, I presume there will be similar issues with the sidewinders? The boots are marked 258/279mm on the shell.

Will there be similar problems with Fin-Techs?

You'll have issues with Fintecs/step-ins. I use size 27 UPZ boots with Fintecs on TD3 SW. I can just barely center my boot over the edges of the board.

The problem is that you can't flip the TD3 Step In heel blocks around like you can on the bail bindings. Stick with bail bindings and you'll have more adjustment options.

Just fitted my mp27 upz. Barely fit my sidewinder step ins and almost centered. I have always ridden a taste heel ward on my boards. Thank goodness

Good to hear, hope your UPZs fit well. I may have to take a look at your bindings for future reference if I decide to go stepin later. I am pretty sold though on getting the TD3 SW though, even with a few annoyances I will have to figure out

279mm sole length Deeluxe Track 700 MP 25, works with Sidewinder  Standards no problem.   I have my most of my quiver outfitted with Sidewinders. The more recently made ones seem to work better with smaller boots... the toe bail shape appears to have been tweaked each season, and the base plate holes were wider spaced the first year.    You can always get new base plates or bails... those parts are relatively inexpensive.      

• Like 1

I got a set of Track 325 boots for my wife at the end of last season size Mondo 23.

They were too small to fit in the burton race plates. so I flipped the toe block around on my Sidewinders.

It did work but the bail stopper that keep the toe lever from dragging in the snow was then on the wrong side.

It works but not the best situation.

I think I am going to get a set of the F2 carve intec bindings for her.

I got my standard TD3 SW yesterday and while I do have to flip the toe bock around, they work fine, I even have some bias adjustability.

gulp.  Now I'm nervous.  Just bought a pair.  Have Head Stratus Pro (25.5) with the old style intec heels. Hope I can get them to work.

Let me know what you find out with this, I am definitely interested in eventually going stepin, my local hill is a bit small.

I tried the TD3 SW's with MP 26 UPZ last year and was not able to set my bias correctly, I would think 25's would only exacerbate the problem.

After turning the front bail around, I am able to have some bias adjustment in m25 UPZs

I am ordering some new replacement parts from bomber this week that may also help with the small boot situation, in relation to what a couple people are saying about old vs new design. If they do, I will note it here. To be continued!

Edited by AcousticBoarder

After turning the front bail around, I am able to have some bias adjustment in m25 UPZs

I am ordering some new replacement parts from bomber this week that may also help with the small boot situation, in relation to what a couple people are saying about old vs new design. If they do, I will note it here. To be continued!

I thought about that after I posted — should have mentioned: I never did the toe-block reversal thing — I'm sure that helps a bit but the idea of having the toe-bail unsupported for step-in functionality was a turn off. (edit: turns out this is not possible with stepins, which probably explains why I never did it.) I was able to get things to lock with some questionable bail modifications without block reversal, but the bias was still off. Hope the new parts work out well for you!!

Edited by queequeg

• 3 weeks later...

So, I actually ordered new bindings, it was going to cost as much in total with the replacement parts and the used ones as just buying a new set.

I got them in yesterday, and can say for sure that the new models definitely fit smaller boots better. I don't have to flip any bails to at least get them to fit. I will be posting in the gear review section on all the differences I find between the used ones I have vs the new ones for the 2015/16 season I just bought. I don't think I will get to it until next week, but will update here when I do get to it.

So, I actually ordered new bindings, it was going to cost as much in total with the replacement parts and the used ones as just buying a new set.

I got them in yesterday, and can say for sure that the new models definitely fit smaller boots better. I don't have to flip any bails to at least get them to fit. I will be posting in the gear review section on all the differences I find between the used ones I have vs the new ones for the 2015/16 season I just bought. I don't think I will get to it until next week, but will update here when I do get to it.

Thanks for this...

A couple of questions for clarification:

1) are your new bindings TD3 SW standard or Step-in?

2) are you getting any room for bias adjustment fore and aft with the new ones?

I meant to respond to this thread a while ago and totally spaced.  Oops.

Anyhoo, when I used to ride UPZs I had to flip the toe block to get them to fit.  No big deal, and I put down a clear coat of epoxy right on the sidewall where the toe bail would hit. No dings, no problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Well. My Mp26 UPZ Rc 10 do not fit the Sidewinder Step in. Only way to possibly make them fit that I have found is to flip the heel on the binding. I'm thinking running my much newer but slightly bigger Mp 27 will have to do. It's minimal. The Mp26 boots I have were seriously punched out in all the right ways for my foot. But the feel of the sidewinder is worth it. Thank goodness EEKOE make a thick and a thin sock. I got to demo these last weekend and they were fantastic.