Note to New Members ×

Jeremy Jones says carving is cool

slopestar

When I went back snowboarding this year after like 10 years...it was amazing to see how little snowboards you saw in the hills. Like compared to the late 90's and of all snowboarders I reckon I only saw ONE that could actually do carving turns the rest was skidding sideways.

Looks like all kids are on twintip skis in the park these days.

• 2 weeks later...

speaking of jones... has anyone spent time on a flagship? design seems pretty progressive and carve friendly - ie, directional cambered shape with blunt rocker nose. the carbon version looks rad as well (though i'm also fond of the wood top). looking for a a fun, versatile soft boot carving machine. does this fit the bill? 

cheers!

I have not but there are only a few production boards I would ride and the jones boards are on the short list. Thank you for spoiling me Donek

I'm with you. But the dang lengths/widths don't really work for me. I know short is the new long, but I like the old long. And wider. If I have to shell out $600 on a deck, I'd like it to be closer to what I'd like. But I'd love to demo a 172 if it was an option.

A bit of snowboarding history for you young 'uns.

Jeremy Jones and Mark Fawcett were the first two snowboarders accepted into Carrabassett Valley Academy in Sugarloaf, Maine. Jeremy has a serious racing pedigree. Here's an article from Skiing Magazine, December 1998 where Jeremy and Mark talk about carving and racing.

The best quote is from Jeremy:

"When you're on an alpine board, you're making the best turns in the world, period. There's not one other sport, even surfing or skiing, where you can pull that many g's with your head two inches from the snow."

That says it all, doesn't it?

https://books.google.ca/books?id=9X6oBEkKEUwC&pg=PT101&dq=mark+fawcett&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xV6eVfufJsXItQWks5XIBQ&ved=0CB4Q6wEwAA#v=onepage&q=mark%20fawcett&f=false

• Like 1

That's fantastic! He could really open up some frontiers by ripping a few of those big lines - or maybe doing his entire next movie - in his old speed suits. Would that be too much to ask? Like the Longboard Classic, but more absurd.

speaking of jones... has anyone spent time on a flagship? design seems pretty progressive and carve friendly - ie, directional cambered shape with blunt rocker nose. the carbon version looks rad as well (though i'm also fond of the wood top). looking for a a fun, versatile soft boot carving machine. does this fit the bill? 

cheers!

Like I said, I'm on the Mountain Twin, and it carves very well for a freestyle/freeride board, if I could get the flagship I would, oh, here's one for $328: http://www.whiskeymilitia.com/wm/poached_private_stash/3315665

• 2 months later...

I do have the female version of the flagship, the mothership and she's a great board.  I ride it with hardboots and it's a blast.  i mean people look at me kinda funny but it's a great board. i fully support all jones products and wish i had more.

-dingbat was actually talking about me when he posted. lol they were like give it a whirl and let us know what's up. we sent them pics and were like it's awesome like everything else you make. :)

cheers!

Edited by cbrkid1981

howdy

i too went with the womens flagship the 2015 weight range is a little stiffer than the new 2016.

went with the smaller 152 got some new bindings and boots. hoping to carve alittle and ride some

pow if we ever get any. there is no snow on our hill, 41 more days till opening. got the flagship

cause it has a modern rocker/camber profile like an alpine board and a mellow magne-traction

that you can't tell if it has any at all. i think it will be a good tree rider and maybe some kagayaking.

howdy

i too went with the womens flagship the 2015 weight range is a little stiffer than the new 2016.

Interesting. I found a 163 wide Carbon Flagship on Craigslist. It's 20cm shorter and 2cm narrower than I'd like, but that board exists only in an alternate universe. In this less pleasing universe I plan to mount it with Power Plates and carbon bindings and see how she does as a change of pace board. Hopefully we'll all be able to compare impressions. First impression is that it looks bitty...

• 2 months later...

I finally got the carbon Flagship 163W out for the first time yesterday, mounted with Power Plates and Ride El Hefe bindings. This is the shortest board I've ridden in 20+ years, but I couldn't resist its seductive call on Craigslist. It's pretty impressive. Holds an edge well and can be pushed hard, snapping out of turns. It's plenty fast (the previous owner had the base structured), but seems stable, though I was with my young daughters so I couldn't open it up all the way. The length - or lack thereof - wasn't an issue. Took it in the crud and crusty bumps and it handed itself well. I'm no expert on board handling and not sure how the Flagship would hold up against, say, an Incline or Dual, but for an all around softboot carving set up, it feels like a winner.

Maybe this Jeremy Jones character is onto something about carving...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Jones' influence on the backcountry community pretty much got me back on hard boots this year.  I was looking into some backcountry splitboard setups, and a lot of the people using alpine touring boots on bigger freeride boards were talking up the versatility and edge response.  I tried it and they were right.

I suspect we will be seeing more bigger freeride boards with softish hard boot setups in the next couple of years.