Note to New Members ×

So, is it bad all over?

Allee

I'm off to Kimberley this weekend, a hill I have always wanted to go to with long blue cruisers and nice grooming, quiet and away from the crowds.

The snow there is supposed to be terrible and the hill is only 40% open. I will probably spend the weekend giving in to my other half and learning to ski.

Panorama is the closest hill to Kimberley and describes conditions as "hardpacked on machine groomed trails - best trails are those with snowmaking" Hazards exist off piste (no ***, Sherlock).

Fernie, normally a powder legend, has lifts downloading people to the base and is sending all it's season pass holders to Kimberley as they're only 25% open.

Lake Louise last weekend was awful, slushy and granular and by now they probably have the Zambonis out grooming the front side.

Sunshine is not supposed to be much better, and Nakiska has been getting temps of +13C during the day ...

It's a very pleasant mild winter, but the boarding sucks!

What are the conditions like where you are?

I am in Southern California and if my life was very different I would have quit my job last month and moved to Mammoth to work nights washing dishes. But alas, I have a beautiful 6 month old son and so other priorities have taken over.

Come to California, the weather system has tipped and however bad it is up north is making it that much better down here. Every other weekend there is another 2-3 feet of fresh.

Guest Randy S.

Tahoe is rockin. Another powder day today from what I've heard. Of course I'm sitting on the sidelines with my torn tendon, but I am going up tonight to watch the Race to the Cup this weekend. Plus I need to keep an eye on my cabin with the whole Park City team staying there. :eek:

Ive lived in SoCal all my life, and seen a couple sick seasons in the locals and mammoth

but I wanted to go elsewhere. so I leave and move up north?

heh. snow goes SOUTH and stays there.

its better here than elsewhere in PNW but its still pretty ****ty.

oh well. weather is chaotic. no other way around it

Depending on where ya are, about 6-8" fresh over the last couple of days along Wasatch front. Most everything has well over 100" mid-mtn base - so I guess we're lookin' pretty good here in UT. The WTC (Wasatch Trenchin' Convention) is coming up I believe March 5-8 (right? Dave, Mikey?). Anyway, check out HardBooter.com

It's looking like October on Mt Hood right now. Frigging October. At the end of January.

Mt Hood Meadows - closed

Ski Bowl - closed

Timberline - open, anything below Palmer is more rocks and dirt than snow.

Cross your fingers for snow, so that MHES can happen. We've got 3.5 months.

Sorry Mike T. Here's a thought:

With all the stress and anxiety created by the current Mt. Hood conditions, an ailment known as "carvitis minimus", you must seek treatment! A therapeutic modality, available at a variety of Utah "clinics", is prescribed. Railing turns at a variety of locations along the Wasatch Front, can do wonders for this temporary, but serious, condition. I would recommend carving untensils of varying lengths, as well as a wider tool for those unexpected inundations of fresh, frozen precipitation. This along with plenty of rest in between treatment sessions and plenty of fluids (your choice), you should recover readily.

I was informed that "clinics" in the Tahoe and Mammoth area also come highly recommended.

Hope this helps. :D

Dr. Kirk :rolleyes:

Utah facility, Snowbasin Clinic

Guest rowanpg

Here in the atlantic provinces we have just been blessed with more than 3 feet of snow in just over a week.. conditions are stellar.. Just wish we had real mountains.

mon jan 17 - 35cm of fresh light pow (unusual for east but it was cold)

thur jan 20 - 30cm of fresh (higher density snow)

sun Jan 23 - 35 cm of fresh and WHAT A DAY this was

Wed Jan 26 - Crisp clear and had the hill to myself for laying trenches

Fri Jan 28 - Crisp clear and again had the hill to myself

link to our local hill (they call it a mountain because Poley Hill just wouldnt sound right!) anyways corduroy is corduroy!!

http://www.poleymountain.com/

silver star hurting big time as well----went from epic to F***** overnite----dirt patches everywhere---i dont even dare bring out the coiler......least amount of riding ive ever had any year--only 3 days that were decent enough to carve(20 or so on softies)----DAmmm WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--Im done for the year unless a miracle happens :mad:

Yeah, it's pretty bad here in Montana too. My home mountain (Snowbowl, north of Missoula) is still open. The top part of the mountain wasn't too bad when I was up on Friday, but getting down from the upper mountain is less than pleasant. Time is right to be on that rock board! The other option is to download, but I've yet to see anyone do that.

Kathy

Worst year on Mt Hood since I moved here in 1993. I heard rumors form an oldtimer that in the 72-73 el nino Mt Hood Meadows didnt open till sometime in feb. We got 7 inchs today for a base of 22" (but still closed) The forcast is for warming after today for 1+ weeks.....yuck.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php?minlon=-125&maxlon=-120.8&minlat=43.39&maxlat=46.91&mapwidth=354&map.x=282&map.y=192

Jim