Note to New Members ×

What risks do I run using a board that's lost it's camber?

SunSurfer

I was changing bindings over in my room at the Snowmass Inn  when I noticed that my beloved Coiler AM WC 177 had lost pretty much all it's camber. It just sat on the carpet the whole way along, looking tired.

I hadn't noticed anything while riding it (with a 4mm UPM BBP on), it was still an awful lot of fun!

So I'm thinking that the loss of camber reflects multiple small tears in the wood core from essentially wood fatigue. The plate is still providing lots of torsional stiffness through the midsection, which may be why I didn't notice anything very much. Either that, or I'm just too poor a rider to notice (rhetorical statement, no confirmatory comments required!).

So a board that's lost it's camber is perceived to be worn out, from what I've read on the board. You wouldn't on sell it to someone unless they wanted to make a wall decoration.

My question is

Do I significantly risk a catastrophic failure of the board by continuing to ride it?

While the opportunity to demo a range of boards to potentially replace it awaits me at SES next week (drool!, Note to self: must try a Nirvana) I already have way too many boards in the stash at home, and this favourite is still carving beautifully! Does it absolutely have to be retired and replaced?

Low(ish) risk.  All of the boards I've snapped had respectable camber until the fateful moment.

The ride quality associated with low/no camber is more noticeable on hard snow. If you're on the good stuff, it probably won't be an issue either way.  

Up to a point, it would be 'user friendly' to a novice, so you could keep it on hand as a loaner.

Note: Just read your conditions update from Aspen.  If you demo something fresh with camber, you'll likely bin the 'flatliner.

So in this case, you run the risk of 'catastrophic failure' to your budget if you don't continue riding it.

Edited by Beckmann AG

Is Bruce going to be at SES next week? If so you could have him look at your board and tell you if it has lost too much camber? if it is a metal board they do not have as much camber as some glass boards. How many days do you have on it? The board may be sinking down on the carpet which gives a false reading of the camber? 

does it recover its camber if you take all the hardware off? you could always have a new one made with the same topsheet as current, and then claim you just had it glossed to keep the snow off.

Yep, putting heavy hardware on a board (even just TD3s) can affect how it lies on the floor.   

My Coilers have comparatively little camber. On carpet, they can look like they have none. Look down it while holding it. If you see kinks, especially just ahead of your front foot, it's done.

So in this case, you run the risk of 'catastrophic failure' to your budget if you don't continue riding it.
Alan, not to worry it is sure to survive the week after which your Nirvana order will be placed anyway.
LOL! So true...

It takes me time to process thoughts and after a day of pondering I have come to the conclusion that you are suffering snow blindness. Coiler has a core shaped with camber before the board is assembled. In order for it to loose it's camber it would either have to have weight compressing it ( heavy bindings and plate etc. ) or has been stored in some fashion which has caused it to warp. Not likely since you take good care of your equip. Is it possible someone has sabotaged your toys in order to get more of your attention.  Maybe your dizzy from watching the water spin the other way around ?

Edited by lowrider

does it recover its camber if you take all the hardware off? you could always have a new one made with the same topsheet as current, and then claim you just had it glossed to keep the snow off.

It's had 48 hours rest, now board alone, laid on a polished flat desktop, has 2mm of camber left! My 180 NSR with a plate and TD3s on has 5-6mm gap under the midsection.

It takes me time to process thoughts and after a day of pondering I have come to the conclusion that you are suffering snow blindness. Coiler has a core shaped with camber before the board is assembled. In order for it to loose it's camber it would either have to have weight compressing it ( heavy bindings and plate etc. ) or has been stored in some fashion which has caused it to warp. Not likely since you take good care of your equip. Is it possible someone has sabotaged your toys in order to get more of your attention.  Maybe your dizzy from watching the water spin the other way around ?

The board has been modified to have a set of UPM inserts, but that's all. What camber remains appears smoothly distributed along the length when I look down the edge with it laid on the desktop. I had the same understanding about how Coiler cores were constructed which is why I had thought stress micro-fractures in the wood fibres were the only realistic explanation, and my resulting concern about board failure in use.

• Like 1