Note to New Members ×

Instructor Day at Vail

fin

Every year we try to do a few of these and I am always amazed at how much fun they are. We have contacts at some of the ski school here in Colorado and they get a group of their snowboard instructors to sign up and try alpine snowboarding for a day. We set all the gear up before hand at the shop based from their stats we get from a sign-up sheet.

This was on Wednesday at Vail. Lowell Hart was the lead on this and organized the day. Conditions where pretty darn good, if I had to complain it was almost too warm and we had some soft snow where the sun was.

The thing with these instructors is:

• They are skilled snowboarders
  • They tend to listen and learn fast
  • There is no fear, as they are generally comfortable at their hill

So it tends to make for a very accelerated learning curve. And in one day we have introduced 10 new snowboarders to hard-booting! We do wish we could do these around the country at more ski schools but the logistics are too much right now.

Keep in mind this is their first day on hard boots. Pretty amazing to watch.

And big thank you to Donek Snowboards with helping us supply them with enough boards.

post-2-0-14897000-1420818657_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-89649500-1420818664_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-34682300-1420818668_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-66183100-1420818671_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-94107700-1420818675_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

While we were ready to help with proven and effective exercise lines and progressions, these guys all ride snowboards a lot and have a well-developed skill set they applied to the new (to them) gear.

We went to a wide, well-groomed, mostly uncrowded, gentle to intermediate pitch on which to practice, underscored some key safety components, asked them to make sure they could skid to a quick stop from any point in a carved turn series (start, middle, finish toeside and heelside) and got the hell out of the way.

Participants lapped the chairlift which served those slopes at their own pace, with small groups forming and dissolving, while Fin, Michelle, and Mark Lawes and Andreas Grogger (trainers who both came over from Keystone to join in on the fun) providing demos, tips, and suggestions when necessary.

To foster a strong learning environment, we did have a big screen set up in the demo room which showed plenty of images of high performance carving while folks were set up on their gear, which may have helped folks get a general idea of the movements and mechanics they might be using when blasting arcs.

At the end of the day we did video review and analysis to anchor learning, identify avenues for future development, and to celebrate a great day.

Which it was.

post-360-0-66531500-1421158718_thumb.jpg

Nice work,  props for proactive promotion of our niche.

I'm really curious of the demographics; 15 out of 150 instructors? How many under 30s signed up for this?

Our small snow schools in the inland northwest would be lucky to find anyone to even try "frootboots" let alone convert.

I'll continue to prove by example that hardboots are not limited to gates & groomers but getting instructors to show interest, let alone take me up on a tryout offer is a pipe dream.

Edited by b0ardski