Note to New Members ×

Has anyone found AF/Track 700 boots just dont work for them

Bobby Buggs

I love riding but since I got these T-700s I have been so uncomfortable with the fit that I worry how long I can stay out on the hill. I do have some complications besides the obvious mental ones:freak3:, my right lower leg has significant atrophy from some nerve damage so that leg is a totally different fit. Currently I have liquid foam Nordica liners, HATE them and would Never recommend them to anyone, even someone I didnt like. I just want a boot that fits and doesn't feel like vice grips on my shins or ankles. Im going to be in Vail Sunday and will try a different set of Liners in these boots for the LAST time. If I cant get a fit that I can live with for more than a couple hours Im done with the T700s and they will be for sale on the buy sell. Thing is I like the power and control they give but Im sick of the pain. I have a pair of Sb/Lemans in the basement and wondering if I need to go back to them.

Have you been through this and what did you do

bobby-

when i switched from my burton fires, i wasn't sure i made the right choice either. Things that helped, got custom footbeds and went to stepins. after 3 days of riding, it was like a completely different boot. One other issue i ran into is the 2nd strap on the t700's, call it the instep strap was too long and i was maxed out on the buckle. there are 2 straps for these boots-a 6" and 7". The 7" is standard on shells of 27MP and up. I'm guessing the 6" is on 27MP and below. Once I used the 6", voila, no more pain or other issues. unfortuantely, getting these little beauties is alot of work, more than it should be.

Derek

The early models of Raichle/Deeluxe-Suzuka/Lemans AND early versions of the 325 + 700 all worked great and were comfortable, as well as warm.....The past few years - I've not had much success or happiness w/ the 325 or the 700 - AND I have no idea why, but they're just "off" or something.....

Just my opinion, I do like the UPZs much better and still use the early versions of the Deeluxe/Raichle models - especially on mixed condition days.....I would like to try the Deeluxe 69 - If someone wants to by me a pair (Size 29) for Christmas.....

I did read on a couple of other site that these take between 10 and 15 days of riding to properly mold to your feet. I am not sure how long you have been riding in them. Also, is the pain mainly on the leg with the nerve damage or both? Is it possible that the nerve damage is responding to the pressure from the boot?

Thanks for the insight, anyone else feel free to chime in. Im on the fence with getting UPZ, never been cheap when purchasing equipment for this sport but getting tired of tossing $$ for nothing. UPZ are not so easy to find around my area so confirming what is the right shell size is a $600 gamble.

Ernie, did you put custom liners in your UPZ

I did read on a couple of other site that these take between 10 and 15 days of riding to properly mold to your feet. I am not sure how long you have been riding in them. Also, is the pain mainly on the leg with the nerve damage or both? Is it possible that the nerve damage is responding to the pressure from the boot?

This last time it was worse in that leg but its been both legs before. I know these stupid foam liners are a major part of the problem, AlexJ from here threw his away for I believe similar issues. This Sunday I will get some new Intuitions done in Vail and Hopefully it will make a difference.

Bobby, You probably just need one shell size up from the RC-10s you gave me. IIrc, you were under the impression they were a 26.5, which didn't work, and getting a good fit out of a larger shell would be unlikely. They are 25's though (remember that massive toe punch the guy at Green Mountain did for me?). Super comfy on the shins. They are in my office, as usual, if you want to check them out again.

yes i did change the liners in them, I was freezing and they hurt me feet. A post here on bomber a few years ago about scarpa liners on sale for about 20$ at gear exchange in burlington vermont.

my feet are happy and much warmer in the new liners. It did soften up the boot quite a bit.

Just bought UPZ boots (2012-2013 model) this fall, I've ridden twice this year and I loved them, I've ride AF600 before , T700 (not for long) then HSP.

Pros: narrow ankle/heel cup

Cons : flo liner, I'm shopping for a thermo liner

Others: I've read it's a stiff boot, I do not understand that as I find it very flexible, way more than modified HSP (and I'm at 165 pounds), I'll probably buy a stiff thermo liner.

I know it's too late for this year, but before the 2013-2014 were out, the 2012-2013 boots were a lot less than what advertised on UPZ website.

I was never happy with the fit of any Raichle/Deluxe boots, especially the SB series. I have wider fore and mid foot, narrow heel, bony ankles, high instep... SB shell is exact opposite of what I need. I get terrible heel lift in all SB/AF shells. Funny enough the old 121/Snowboarder/Concordia fit me a lot better, with minimum heel lift, maybe due to the leather lace-up liners I have in those.

The UPZ fits my foot the best out of the box, but never had real riding experience with them.

Head boots fit me just fine. I've been riding the Dalbelo CarveX for many years (same shell as Stratos).

Bobby, You probably just need one shell size up from the RC-10s you gave me. IIrc, you were under the impression they were a 26.5, which didn't work, and getting a good fit out of a larger shell would be unlikely. They are 25's though (remember that massive toe punch the guy at Green Mountain did for me?). Super comfy on the shins. They are in my office, as usual, if you want to check them out again.

Yeah Mark those boots were sold to me on here used as 26.5, I got hosed but never yelled about it.

Never has any boot fit at once. When i bought my second 700 (white) ones i first bought a custom foamed liner from Strolz with footbeds. Never have a complaint since than. i just bought new 2013/14 Upz virus rc10 just out of curiosity. This friday i will get some foamed liners in there too: Bootdocs. I will never wait till my feet hurts with this sport anymore, had too much pain earlier. So i will buy foamed liners directly in new hardboots.

....if you don't ride stepins, then I've got a deal for you...Stormtrooper ST1's, 28.5 see previous for sale post on BOL...BTS friendly. Icelantic/First degree design pilfer from Deeluxe.

The early models of Raichle/Deeluxe-Suzuka/Lemans AND early versions of the 325 + 700 all worked great and were comfortable, as well as warm.....The past few years - I've not had much success or happiness w/ the 325 or the 700 - AND I have no idea why, but they're just "off" or something.....

Just my opinion, I do like the UPZs much better and still use the early versions of the Deeluxe/Raichle models - especially on mixed condition days.....I would like to try the Deeluxe 69 - If someone wants to by me a pair (Size 29) for Christmas.....

I use BTS on my boots, what do you UPZ guys do about that option? does the stock mechanism mimic BTS function

When I first got my UPZ I was all keen to modify them with ACSS or rig up Fin's BTS. After 2 hard seasons of riding with stock spring mechanism, I'm quite happy. If there was an "easy" mod, I would however consider trying it but mostly just because curiosity would get the best of me. I consider myself a strong intermediate rider, 190lbs, have Raichle Thermoflex liners and added a booster strap. I find this combo perfect for me and actually the booster strap made the biggest difference in performance believe it or not while the liner just added comfort. I ditched the Flo liner after the second time out (there's a thread somewhere with my experience). I think the new ones have a proprietary powerstrap "shoxxter" too.

When I see pictures of myself carving I was surprised at how flexed the rear boot was, never would have thought that (see pic). You probably won't get that consistent full-range-of-motion "feel" as with BTS but maybe that's not what it's all about...or maybe it is and I'm being seriously held back ;)

Edit: I should add I have never tried Raichle/Deeluxe, only HSP and UPZ.

post-9924-141842401435_thumb.jpg

post-9924-141842401433_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hilux
words, words, words

great illustration of the extra flex of the back foot in a smooth carve.

I ride sb raichles and often leave the rear foot in walk/pow mode to get extra flex on the backfoot when riding off piste or soft groom or bumps.

Performance of any particular shell can be drastically altered by different liners; I use soft thermoflex for pow days and plastic tongue skiboot liners for hard carving.

ps the 3 piece flexon type shells are by far the easiest to get in & out of and I love convenience so I'll never buy an overlap shell again. it's amazing how much fit and flex adjustment can be achieved in just the liner. think I'll experiment with different liners on the front and back foot.

Edited by b0ardski

I crash the 3rd and 4th buckles on each other on my rear boot with the stock UPZ springs. I can't ask for much more flex than that!

I had heel lift in the Deeluxes with the Deeluxe liners as well as Inuitions. Maybe it'd be better with a foamed liner, I never tried. No issue in the UPZs with stock or Intuition liners. I don't take that as the Deeluxes being 'bad', more that they're not a good fit for my feet. I wish they were; Deeluxe boots and parts are more common, and I'd like to give Bomber more of my business.

Troy,

I ride w/ a stiffer liner on my front foot and a more flexible one on my back, I also us two different footbed liners...because my feet are just that screwed up after too many years of snowboarding...I do this so that I no longer need to ride w/ my rear foot in the "walk" mode.....

I had no problems with my old Raichle boots either, and then I got 325's and swam in them. I have very small ankles and lower legs, and even though the shell size was perfect, there was a huge gap basically from my ankle right up to the top of the boot. I ride a lot with another guy who had the same issue. The new Deeluxes are hopeless for anyone with narrow circumference lower legs with the stock thermo liner. Maybe fitting a cushier liner would help, but you've effectively tried that and no dice.

I went to UPZ's and love them.

Have to agree with Boardski, the Sb are the easiest boots to get in and out of. My plan is to try some new Intuitions in my 700s on Sunday for next week. If they dont work out I will remold those liners to my LeMans and give them a shot, If they fail its on to the UPZ. 1 question though, Not a big fan of the 5 buckle, seems to be a waste. Has anyone tried the UPZ 4 buckle I saw on the site today

post-29-141842401448_thumb.jpg

As noted on most of the threads, everyone's foot is different and even a thermofit liner cant solve all problems. I have a different take on the AF600 and Track 700's though since the thermofit liners fit my feet very well. I'm 145lbs and 5' 11". I push my boards as hard as I can. The AF600's worked good for me with the stock/rigid locking mechanism on the back. The drawbacks to the boot were two fold. 1) if it was 40+ deg F outside the boot was a bit too soft 2) the sole of the boot could "slightly taco" if driven super hard while carving...I'd get foot pain on the first couple of runs and also when the boot was soft I could really flex the lower shell even with step in bindings and no extra play. Solution: Track 700's and BTS. The 700's have higher rigidity in the lower plastic section and I have no problems with them at all. I initially rode them with the stock mechanism on the back and I could not bend the boot properly at all. But with BTS I can get the correct flex and it's consistent in all temperatures. Everyone is different but for me I need a super rigid lower boot, the correct flex for my weight and style, and I can get the boot to fit my foot with thermoflex.