Note to New Members ×

Trouble getting out of UPZ boots, need suggestions

Corey

I have a 28.5 foot and comfortably ride in 27 UPZ RC-10 boots with the black tongues and Intuition Alpine molded liners with minimal issues. I really love these boots when riding, but I have a really tough time getting out of them. I simply can't do it when they're cold. This is a pretty major issue when you come in from a day of -20F riding! I typically walk around the lodge and have hot chocolate or whatever while they warm up. Yes, I do release the forward lean mechanism.

Foot info: Extremely high arch, low volume, stiff foot. Narrow heel, medium-wide toe area. Skinny calves. I've debated upsizing to a 28 boot to resolve this, if nothing else works. I have no local bootfitters that I trust.

The tongue seems to be the issue. If I pull it far enough to the side, I can get out fairly easily. But, if my hand slips and the edge contacts the top arch of my foot where it's sticking out (remember, high arch!) of the overlap liner it can heavily bruise or even cut the skin. That sucks. If I unbolt the tongue, I can get out easily, but that's not practical. Can you cut the portion of the tongue that is bolted to the ankle? (Leaving the attachment to the toe intact) That would allow me to pull the tongue out of the way easily, but I suspect that'll change the flex of the boot, which I like in its current state.

I've watched other people step right out of these same boots with no drama, while I'm right on the threshold of unacceptable discomfort/pain getting out of them. The soft gummy red tongue would likely help, but it must soften the boot dramatically. I also have the stiff grey tongues, maybe if cutting that one strap softens the blacks too much, I could try cutting the grey ones?

I'm open to suggestions/opinions, hopefully someone has had a similar issue and has resolved it.

I have high arches also, getting in and out is a issue. I've recently switched to the softer red tongues and it's much easier. I don't know how it would work out with your riding though. I am fairly small and my boots are modified with Arnaud's spring system, touring sole toes, and the red tongue. They are really fantastic and I don't ever want to go back to boots that don't fit my feet. The UPZ's are the bomb when on, the difficulty getting in and out is worth it.

Corey i don't think everyone can appreciate when you mean cold it's a Canadian Winnipeg cold. If you have a spare tongue perhaps spliting it vertically and lacing it with a vertical weave to prevent it from folding or sliding in on itself when the buckles are tightened up. The type of sock i wear sometimes creates an issue for me but has improved after switching to Scarpa liners. Maybe a strip of packing tape on inside of liner tongue might help

When I started on my RC10s with black tongues I had to strain a bit to get in and out. But I never had the experience of not being able to get out at all. Last season I switched to red tongues (I weigh less than 140) and find them gummy and yummy. Getting in and out is much easier. I didn't think that I would like softer boots at first, but now I'd never go back.

unbuckle. then with boot flat on the floor and hands on the rear cuff, bend ankle forward to expose heel and slide heel upward against the rear of the boot?

this may compromise the snug heel pocket though.

Haha, if the boot is clipped into a board, this works ok for me as long as I stand on the board with the other foot. Loose on the floor? No way!

I really don't want to unscrew parts to get out of my boots! I'd rather grunt like an old man and just tough out the current process.

Corey i don't think everyone can appreciate when you mean cold it's a Canadian Winnipeg cold.

Never been to Winnipeg, but there have been days here on Hoth, when I have scanned the near horizon for a Taunton that I could flay and climb inside.

I'm using lace up race room liners in a 150 flex overlap shell. Trying to get out without supplemental heat when the temps get anywhere near zero is a fools errand.

Corey, got a hair dryer? The high instep sounds like the problem, so heat that part of the tongue a bit, and then 'see the great egress'.

If you ride hard enough, the boots warm up all on their own.;):D

I'm jamming my 27 foot in to the 24.5/25.5 shell with the grey tongue. When they're cold and stiff I pull the tongue out and hinge it toward the inside of the boot, then spread the liner and work my foot out. Definitely takes a little more effort, but I'm not stuck in the boot.

I once spent 45 minutes trying to get my UPZs on in the Loveland parking lot. I guess sitting in the car for the 15 or so minutes I spent getting my other stuff in order was enough to make them impossible to pry open far enough to get my instep in.

To get them off I push back on the back of the cuff with one hand while the other twists the tongue away from the shell, then bend forward like Kieran says and twist my heel around to get the instep in the opening I've made between the tongue and shell. Even on a warm day after riding it's work. I can't imagine being able to get out of them at -20F.

The boot gloves (get the extra-thick ones) do help (both to keep shell plastic warm and to keep toes warm in the UPZ liner), and thin extra-slippery socks help a lot. My UPZs are on the large side for me so thin socks don't work, but I keep them in the bag to possibly wear over my regular ones to make putting on boots easier.

I'm using the stock liners.

Yes, you can hurt yourself with the nasty plastic and buckles. I've done that several times (once should have been enough).

Edited by teach
reduce redundancy

I'm running RC-10's with black tongues and Zipfit liners and shell is correctly sized. The liner is mushy (cork filled), and I have to do strange stuff to get into them without the liners changing shape while I'm getting into them.

The only way I can into them successfully is to use a shim of thin plastic material around the back of the liner.

I learnt a new trick last weekend, of taking the tongue of the liner and pulling it out and to the outside of the boot. This made a large difference. It made getting out of the boots much easier.

I never even considered moving to walk mode, but I'll try that next time.

Another way I've gotten into the boots when nothing else worked is to pull the liner out, put foot in it and then put foot + liner into shell.

It's good to hear that others are having similar problems and hear what works for people.

One thought is to remove the liner with your foot still in it. Get some panty-hose from the store and put them around the liner. The liner will slide in/out of the shell much easier. The added upside is that now your liners are out of the shells to allow for earier drying.

Having worked/lived/ridden in Fort McMurray for the past 7 years, I do understand a cold ride with UPZ's.

-Gord

And just to point out, not everyone has trouble getting out of RC10's...I've seen Corey trying to get out of his. Must be this high arch thing. I have no issues warm or kinda of cold. Never tried to put them on when they are at true ambient winter temp.

Trying to get into my Lange ski boots, now that's an exercise in pain. Need to add a joint halfway up my foot to get them in there.

I once spent 45 minutes trying to get my UPZs on in the Loveland parking lot. I guess sitting in the car for the 15 or so minutes I spent getting my other stuff in order was enough to make them impossible to pry open far enough to get my instep in.

I'm laughing with you, because my first season with mine was like this. My friends used to WTF? at me wrestling these things around the floor. By the time I was ready to ride I was exhausted.

I still have a bit of trouble getting my right foot out - I usually sit in the lodge for a couple of minutes and let the boot warm up, and then pull the tongue way across to the side with one hand and hold the back with the other. That seems to work most times, but it's still a pain.