Note to New Members ×

what sort of lock do you use?

Guest ethanpt

Guest ethanpt

Now that I have this prized possession...the MADD that is...I am scared sh__less of it being stolen....what kind of lock have folks used. My concern with the type that you put around your bindings could still be easily stolen- all you need is an allen wrench and you could just undo the binding and take the board.

If someone wants your MADD they are gonna get it. If you have a lock on your board it's going to prevent it from being taken by some casual theif. Not too many people carry a 5mm hex key on the mountain other then carvers and if someone stole your MADD that carves, I think it would be a damn shame.

I use a simple retractable Dakine lock through the bindings to prevent someone from "walking away" with the board. Other then that I just hope that someone doesn't really want my boards. I can also put the lock in my pocket when I am on the hill or lock another board to the rack so I can have a couple avaliable for quick use.

->Ben

I don't lock any of my boards. I take them with me wherever I go while riding. Whether it be the lodge, bathroom, or to get a drink, my board comes with me. I've heard about so many stolen boards that I don't take a chance. If someone really wants your board they will steel it lock or no lock.

I forgot the name of the documentary, but it was on professional car theives. They said that all extra anti-theft devices do is increase the time it takes to steal it.

I saw a picture on one of these message boards (it could've been this one) of a board with 2 eye-hole screws screwed into two empty binding mounts with a locking mechanism going through the holes. It was a home-made device. I thought the way it couples the lock to the board and not the binding was clever.

I saw a picture on one of these message boards (it could've been this one) of a board with 2 eye-hole screws screwed into two empty binding mounts with a locking mechanism going through the holes. It was a home-made device. I thought the way it couples the lock to the board and not the binding was clever.

I dont know about that one either, by securing the board anyone can take your bindings. You would need 2 locks to secure the whole package. Those Bombers sure are pretty shiny, I am sure they would attract a lot of attention.

Having a 180+ race board also attracts a lot of attention on the racks, they are usually longer than all the skis standing up and get lots of stares.

I do use a retractable cable lock on my Coiler.

I eat lunch and snacks on the chair and water a tree when Nature calls (Heh, I actually hit bottom last week - that's how little snow we've got on Hood.), so this wouldn't be much of an issue...but I like to bring up at least two boards most days.

So I invested the extra $20 in getting the ski check endorsement on my season pass. $20 to check as many boards as you want at the base all season sounded like a pretty good deal to me.

Am I the only one that uses the ski/board check?

Don't know about its availability in the U.S. but the absolute best system I know of is the Ski Key.

http://www.skikey.com/

You buy a $20 lock and key and it fits into a proprietary rack. The lock is very small and you don't even notice it in your pocket. The only way to steal your board from one of these is to remove a binding or drill out the lock. I just don't see removing a binding as feasible. Most thieves want to grab and run. That's why I think even a cheap cable lock is a good deterent.

Originally posted by Dan

Am I the only one that uses the ski/board check?

Heh - I do the same thing at the same resort. Works great on weekdays, the ski check monitors get cranky about hanging on to multiple boards if I try it on a weekend though.

Years ago I had a new Sims Ace stolen after I had carefully locked it to the ski rack right outside the lodge door with a cable and combo lock. I was gone about half an hour and when I came back the cable and open lock were lying in the snow under the rack. Now I keep my board with me or use the corral.

Something else I'm going to have to get used to when I return to the USA...here in Japan no one would consider walking off with another's board. I don't even lock my bike half the time here (I ride a $2000 urban freeride bike). I guess the Ski check is the way to go because I'm not hauling a lock around on the snow...it's bad enough on the street

Originally posted by Gecko

Something else I'm going to have to get used to when I return to the USA...here in Japan no one would consider walking off with another's board.

Hey Gecko, where do you live in Japan? When I lived in Hokkaido (Sapporo) six years ago and was riding frequently, stolen board announcements were a pretty common occurrence.

It was so sad; they'd fire up the PA system and say something like "Will the customer that has mistakenly taken a green and black Sims 162 please return it to the lost and found." I thought that was awfully absentminded (who takes the wrong board?) until one of my Japanese friends told me that those are stolen boards announcement. (How Japanese is that? It just wouldn't be nice to say "hey everyone, be on the lookout for a swiped Sims.")

Come to think of it, I was pretty serious about locking up my bike and securing both wheels too, because the bike shop dude told me that there was a lot of bike theft/wheel theft in Sapporo.

It was probably all due to the high population of Aussie/Kiwi/U.S. ski bums in town. :-)

-------------------------

edited to add

Oh, that was a dumb question, wasn't it? Heck, living in Yokohama, I'm surprised you've had such good luck with leaving your bike and boards unlocked.

where I live, unlike the area around Yokosuka/Atsugi/Yokota...petty crime is quite low as long as there are no americans around...sad though that is it's statistical truth. Japan is the only place I have ever felt completely safe no matter the time or location.

Guest jeremiah

Am I just clueless, or is there really very little board theft going on at most resorts? In the 30+ years I've been skiing/boarding, I've had exactly one set of skis stolen, from a ski locker in my own garage. I regularly brought at least 2 sets to the mountain and just whichever I wasn't using at the base.

When I started riding at Hunter/Windham, I did lock my gear, just because the vibe there, especially on big weekends, isn't very mellow. Since I've switched to Vermont, I don't ever feel the need to lock my gear. I'm riding Stratton pretty much exclusively now, and I rarely see boards locked up, I've even seen someone's new Madd sitting against the side of the base lodge.

Is this a regional thing, a resort specific thing, or am I just being a pollyanna?

(That being said, when I ride in Idaho, I do use the ski check, just because it's like $1/day.)

Jeremiah

im on the "what the hell is that board" boat here in the midwest. Generally when im leaving my board at the base, i find the nicest, newest, coolest looking unlocked board and place mine right next to it. My theory is that a thief will go for the sweet freestyle setup over the obscure alpine board that they would have to find boots for.

I never lock my gear.

I don't ride anything flashy enough or hip enough to be considered theft worthy, except by those who really know their stuff (to most people a Madd looks like an Old ugly board that may have broken and been reinforced with the butterfly). The guys who know teir stuff wouldn't steal it either, because none of us would do that one another.

On the other hand, If you did feel a need to lock up, and felt that someone might come along and unscrew your bindings, there is a lock ou there that screws into an insert, and then has a cable run through it. cable lock goe in the pocket, the insert fixture stays in place...

Originally posted by ncermak

<snip>

On the other hand, If you did feel a need to lock up, and felt that someone might come along and unscrew your bindings, there is a lock ou there that screws into an insert, and then has a cable run through it. cable lock goe in the pocket, the insert fixture stays in place...

This is exactly what I was talking about. Anyone know the standard thread type to ask for at home depot?

And excactly how many thieves are between carvers?

Are we a majority on the slopes?

Who is going to use your board with plates?

Perhaps we could answer these type of questions before worrying too much.

Yes I put my board into locker, give to storage or leave in places I or people I am with can see it.

But another side of the story is: have you ever seen a thief who drives or sells stolen Ferrari? Not too many of them, don't you think?

So I would not be so worried as those freestylers or skiiers.

Bomber is very shiny, but who knows how to use it?

Are you affraid of your carving buddies?

I probably should be;) Yet I am not that scared to be obsessed.

I think the only thing I am worried about like Maciek said is someone taking my beer. I have heard the ruthlesness of the wild carver after a day of eating cord. When he is perched on his barstool sipping nectar, he scans the room for cougars and other threats, but cannot resist the temptation of someone else's beer.:D

Originally posted by trikerdad

You can go on and on about all the reasons why you don't need to worry about your board but, once you've had one walk away, you'll realize how little it would have taken to prevent it.

Hence I do watch mine... but I am not going to drag chains on them.

You know anything can be stolen. Believe or not but there are places in this world where police got stolen their speed measuring equipment... or cars for joy ride and that was not a Hollywood movie.