Note to New Members ×

what sort of lock do you use?

Guest ethanpt

>>I forgot the name of the documentary, but it was on professional car theives. They said that all extra anti-theft devices do is increase the time it takes to steal it.

I think that is the point; if it is a board locked near a board that isn't, thieves will probably go for the easier pickings.

I think that the thefts mostly are due to tourists to the area; at Mammoth the thefts used to be boasted about by quite a few Aussies and Kiwis (of which I am one). Er a Kiwi, not a thief. I think that the feeling is sometimes one like, well Americans are much richer, especially LA people, so we deserve it, and of course many didn't have proper jobs, so taking a board back home paid for some of their trip.

Of course, we are talking about a tiny percentage, but if you are on the wrong side of the equation, then life is not so good.

The binding thing is one way. Another is to use a screw on one of the unused insert holes, attach a loop or lock to that, then drill out the head, so it cannot be removed easily. When you need to take the screw out, just file in a screw head and whip it out then.

That said, I've never locked gear at any of the resorts I've ridden, and never had anything swiped. Still, as they say ya can't be too careful. FOr that reason I ride really old ****e gears, and deliberately spend my entire day looking like a retard; this means that anyone seeing my gears thinks they are for morons, and thus doesn't steal it.

I suggest you try my approach ;-)

Didn't see anyone mention Kryptonite Locks, they make a cable lock for boarders that includes a mountable bolt that threads into an unused mounting thread hole. They are not perfect in that I have found that with certain plate and mount combinations that all unused mounting thread placements can be obscured.Good luck Zen

My plan for anti theft would be to buy a custom made board like a Donek, and have a custom made graphic put on it just for me. Something that is possibly the most feminine and or most offensive that I can think of. Basically, who would want to ride it, especially after everyone probably would know it was mine anyways? I was thinking of a very feminine bright cotton candy pink metalflake topskin with alternate graphic images of un-aroused male genitalia, hairy aerolas, slimy calamari, and piles of steaming dog poo.

But seriously, nothing will stop a determined thief. I don't trust locks. I don't leave a board unattentded, or out of sight more than 20 feet away when inside the lodge, or I just spend a few bucks on the ski/board check person.

Why not just get out a can of spray paint? I know guys who spray pink paint all over their brand new mountain bikes to deter theft. Why not paint a stripe right down the middle of your board, across the bindings and all. In some obnoxious colour. I would give high credibility marks to any rider who did that.

Post pics.

That's an old bike messenger trick: "uglify" the bike (or in this case board). Working in a bike shop in the city you'd see all sorts of fcrazy stuff. The cyclist would aquire one of the best frames out there, and remove all markings and spray it some ugly color. Flat black primer was pretty common too. I even knew one guy to go as far as to have Huffy decals made to replace the stock decals on his Cannondale.