Note to New Members ×

Advise needed for a new helmet

kinpa

Yes, I have a funny shape head. I admit it. Actually, it's a long oval. Means if it fits on the sides (over my ears) then it's way to tight on my forehead and I end up getting a bad headache. With bicycle helmets, it's easy to get it big and add padding on the sides. Can't exactly do that on a ski helmet. After 10+ years of good service, I think it's time to retire the Boeri. :( I do like the hard ears though. Any recommendations? Thanks. I need to know what to ask Santa for......

Sounds familiar. A wrong fitting helmet will give me an unbearable headache within 2 minutes from a pressure point in the middle of my forehead. I've often had to 'fine tune' the helmet to feel comfortable. I also used the Boeri line for years with luck, but could not find them at the end of last season, so started trying on everything I could. I found that the GIRO line fit me well. I also wanted a hard shell over the ears and went with the Sestriere model which feels fine out of the box :biggthump.........

Sounds familiar. A wrong fitting helmet will give me an unbearable headache within 2 minutes from a pressure point in the middle of my forehead. I've often had to 'fine tune' the helmet to feel comfortable. I also used the Boeri line for years with luck, but could not find them at the end of last season, so started trying on everything I could. I found that the GIRO line fit me well. I also wanted a hard shell over the ears and went with the Sestriere model which feels fine out of the box :biggthump.........

Put an offer on one on eBay... Thanks! We'll see how it goes. If it doesn't fit me well, I'll pass it on to my son!

Put an offer on one on eBay... Thanks! We'll see how it goes. If it doesn't fit me well, I'll pass it on to my son!

You have to try them on. I have the same shape head and it is also large (62 cm) My size L Giro G9 fits well but other models from the same company even in XL or XXL do not.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

I have a round head, so I can tell you that a Giro G10 won't work as it fits me great. A Nine.9 only touched the sides of my head, while I could move it back and forth a cartoonish amount. ;)

If the eBay experiment doesn't work out, go to a local store and put every helmet there on your head. One of them will feel like a knit cap - buy that one.

well, I'm getting this one for $24.99 + $9.99 shipping.... if it doesn't work, I'll pass it on to my ever growing kids (can't believe how big my 5 year old son's head is!!!!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giro-Sestriere-Snow-Helmet-Size-Large-Black-MAKE-OFFER-/181039208113?ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160&nma=true&si=PM6IP3ti91cVHipQ2MZAFc3rZfU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

For a random shot, I'm picking that might just work out. I've had a Talon, the mid range helmet made from the same mold, and now have a Streif, the high end carbon fibre one also from the same mold. I have a tiny, skinny, oval head and both those helmets fitted great - although for some reason the Streif is an XS and the Talon was a small, go figure ...

The only issue with these ones is that they're race helmets, which means they're not designed with any adjustment. It will fit, or it won't. You'll be the first to know.:)

I can recommend them for being tough too. I took multiple diggers on the Talon before I retired it, and hit a tree hard enough on the weekend with the Streif to see stars ... and the helmets never had a mark on them. They're designed as ski race helmets, so they're pretty rugged.

Edited by Allee

Does it mathch your goggles, gloves, pants, board, boots and iphone? As we know all accessories must.

too funny! since I'm an instructor, I'll stick to black..... it's always been a safe bet with all the different color uniforms I've been in over the years!!! iphone??? HA!!! this poor ole lady isn't worthy of an iphone!!! my non-smart phone doesn't even get a signal at my mountain which is perfectly ok with me.... and now that you mention it, the new boots are more blue than black..... just great.... going for a black and blue color scheme! how appropriate

Alright all,

I don't post often but felt compelled to jump in here. Last year I had a bad accident that resulted in a lot of helmet study and research before returning to the hill. I would like to share the following.

1) above all else, wear a helmet. A robust cheap helmet is better than no helmet.

2) proper fit and a good safety rating is more important than brand, cost, style

3) buy a helmet that has a European certification. US standards are lower. When I sought replacement advice from the company that I was wearing at the time of my accident, they basically owned up to their US only products being crap.

4) $ doesn't matter when it comes to your head. If you are spending more on a lift ticket then you are spending on your helmet, I would challenge that your priorities are backwards. That being said, once you have found the right helmet, if you can buy last year's at a deep discount, go for it!

I agree ~tb. Reading about your injury last year compelled me to analyze the quality of protection that my previous helmet was providing.

I upgraded to a Troy Lee D2 snow sports helmet with full chin guard, at the end of last season. Comparing it to my previous Salomon Air Patrol helmet, the D2 is by far more substantial, with a much thicker composite shell, a very high quality chin strap (not the plastic clips that most cheaper helmets have). The fit is perfect (and can be adjusted by changing and/or adding pads), and the overall quality is by far superior to any helmet that I've seen in any generic sporting goods stores.

To the OP, get a helmet at least as good as your Boeri. Don't settle for a cheap helmet.

Edited by Gcarve

So I just showed my daughter the new helmet.... She says " what happened to Buck?" I guess I never realized my helmet had a name.... Sheesh! Actually, that helmet has been with me longer than her (she's 11). Guess it is time for a new one.... No, not a new daughter.... No one could quite ever replace her.:nono:

Troy Lee D3, has similar impact protection to a DOT helmet according to them. They fit snug around the cheeks. Much better padding than a D2, and far better ventilation. Ski helmets protect similar to bike helmets or a 12mph crash. If you go 12mph or less, get a standard ski helmet- just don't let anyone crash into you going over 12mph faster than you.

If that sounds impossible, buy a Troy Lee D3 or Fox V3 also a decent one though heavier but does meet DOT with certification.

I didn't wear a helmet when I was the fastest one on the hill. I wouldnt get hit from behind. i had a little more control over what was in my local impact zone. Not that this is a good idea... it is just what I did.

When I am injured this is not the case I tend to go slower and stop more... and so to protect myself from being collided with at high speed from behind I want something close to DOT protection.