Note to New Members ×

Switching? Incredible...

Ian M

Great thread

How about wrong footed?

I've gotten pretty good at carving switch in a goofy alpine stance,5335537199_6ffe221dc2.jpg but the 1 time I tried regular foot 25 yrs ago was total fail. I ended up riding the board fakie to get my goofy/right foot forward(opp switch), still tricky on an old skool board with a way back of center stance, but was still a novice then.

This thread makes me want to giver a go, now that I can ride switch. I'll start out on softies (which I never ride) close to duck to get a feel for it.

Riding switch w/alpine angles feels way more like skiing switch (ie backwards). Riding switch ducked out is still going sideways, just the other way.

I'll try to get some video for BOLers entertainment.

Edited by b0ardski

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they require you to remount your bindings like we are talking about or are you just riding the same setup backwards?

Both things, you must be able to ride soft and hard .

On hardboots you must be able to ride backwards and riding regular and goofy because if you have a client who rides goofy, you must ride goofy to let him see what you do.

(I'm not a teacher but I know a lot of guys who are teacher or are just studing for).

Haha! Thanks Dave, but I'm far from railing carves on any setup other than my regular. Both 'un-natural' and 'off-stance' make sense to me, though. Where would 'Opp' have come from Bordy?

Opposite stance...= Opp stance. Jerry Masterpool, Jeff Archabauld and Peter Foley have always called it so. If they don't know the correct term then who would?? Of Course I tend to know a little also...

I am in the same boat as Sean's statement, I always thought this would be a great exercise to make you more skilled on a alpine board. But I just don't have the guts (or 20 year old's body) to deal with the consequences :rolleyes:

And if anyone has every had the pleasure to watch either Bordy or Casper Carver do this, it is a site to see. Extreme talent.

So if a snowboarder from day one was ambidextrous with their hands, set their board up "duck" (say +5 and -5 degrees) and could go down the hill equally as well either way, how are they riding now? :rolleyes:

And if your knees bent the other way, what does a chair look like :D

All the video I see of that Cat, is one turn switch then back around.. Is there any video of him linking turns switch? I am not hating, just asking, all the Vid I see is carve 180 carve 180..Etc...
He mostly does a heelside switch carve and then either spins or hops out into a normal heelside. Sometimes he will do a toe-heel transition switch but never more than that and never heel-toe. I'd like to see him do it, he probably can if he's being less aggro than in the vids.

So if a snowboarder from day one was ambidextrous with their hands, set their board up "duck" (say +5 and -5 degrees) and could go down the hill equally as well either way, how are they riding now?

Rob Stevens argued for teaching kids duck for that reason - at worst they find their natural direction, at best they become ambidextrous which is a big advantage for the way most kids want to ride.

There is one video (which YouTube now blocked b/c of music rights etc) where he links turns at the bottom of the run under the chair on the flats...I could be mistaken though. I believe it is this one called "alpine carving slow motion backwards kasperkaver"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_7VHR9KPa8

Sweet it looks like he is haveing a lot of fun on Short board. Just a treat to watch.

So if a snowboarder from day one was ambidextrous with their hands, set their board up "duck" (say +5 and -5 degrees) and could go down the hill equally as well either way, how are they riding now? :rolleyes:

And if your knees bent the other way, what does a chair look like :D

Lol... great questions, Fin. I say:

1) Masterfully!

2) A T-bar oriented in the least comfortable position; between your legs XD

But I'd suggest we let Ian, or anyone who can successfully demonstrate smooth railed linked carves on a board set-up in their opposite, or unnatural, stance actually name it.

Dave

If I have the 'balls' and am 'crazy' enough to pull it off, can I call it the EBAG GNUT? (This is my name 'ridden' backwards) :D

If I have the 'balls' and am 'crazy' enough to pull it off, can I call it the EBAG GNUT? (This is my name 'ridden' backwards) :D

Gabe, if you can show clean carves and sliding turns riding opposite stance on video​, you can call it whatever you want!

From Bordy the common term would already appear to be "Opp Stance" for "Opposite Stance". Personally I'm going to also think of the OPP as standing for "Other People's Pieds" which is basically how I feel when I try and ride like that. Would still love to see video of you railing unnatural carves like this Gabe.:) I should delete that post asking for someone to name this.

Cheers,

Dave

Opposite stance...= Opp stance. Jerry Masterpool, Jeff Archabauld and Peter Foley have always called it so. If they don't know the correct term then who would?? Of Course I tend to know a little also...

I think Jerry would more likely call it "Quit wasting my time riding backward and get your ass back up the hill!"

All the video I see of that Cat, is one turn switch then back around.. Is there any video of him linking turns switch? I am not hating, just asking, all the Vid I see is carve 180 carve 180..Etc...

No video, but I've seen Casper do small linked carves backward all the way down a narrow icy cat track - that was his warm up after getting off the lift. (That cat track scares me just riding forward - most deaths on Snow King happen from launching off a cat track into the trees....)

Sweet it looks like he is haveing a lot of fun on Short board. Just a treat to watch.

Hey, do you recognize that board? It's a Rossi Accelerator 159 that you sold me a few years. I found it to be wider than I like and Casper had just killed his favorite board and needed something to get by for awhile. He makes that old thing shine, doesn't he? :biggthump:biggthump

If you can pull it off with video on those crazy crowded slopes at MSLM you can call it "The Sir Ebag Gnut" The ambulance ride to Barrie is what ? 35 minutes with lights on. :eplus2:

:eek: I think I'm going to have to wait for some better conditions! This was what it looked like midday today:

post-685-141842376665_thumb.jpg

Rode here on opening day this past Saturday. Basically it was the bunny hill, the park and one semi-decent carving run... so yeah, it was kind of crowded.

Btw, this thread topic sounds sort of familiar. :) http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?9306-Fakie-carve&p=78015#post78015

It's kind of interesting because with low angles you can essentially ride two ways

1. Normal Stance - Natural leg forward

2. Switch - Unnatural leg forward

But with a highly directionally biased stance you would seem to have four possible ways to ride a board? (You would need two separate boards here)

1. Normal Stance - Natural leg forward, toes pointing in direction of travel

2. Switch - Unnatural leg forward, heels pointing in direction of travel

3. Off Stance - Unnatural leg forward, toes pointing in direction of travel

4. Off Stance Switch - Natural leg forward, heels pointing in direction of travel

Bordy describes doing 2 and 3 above, and Two Ravens described doing 4 earlier on in this thread where she mentioned 4 was much easier than 3. I'd love to see someone who could competently demonstrate all four of these.

Dave

This reminded me of a series of old videos I came across while looking at longboard vids. There were a set of 10 challenges in each series... people were asked to record and post their video as part of a promo by the board company. A board discount for anyone who could complete all 10 in a series and a free board for the one who could do with the most style. :cool:

Here's one example. The vids were great as they also gave you instruction on how to perform the trick:

Dude come on you guys were discussing attempting the EBAG GNUT on glass boards; this is 2012 here and we're talking metal boards now so I'm sure it's got to be a complete different topic. If anything the use of metal and peanut butter technology in modern boards should totally make this make this move effortless. Hilux mentioned that Ian was on an old glass Sims, had he been on his Schtubby obviously we wouldn't even be having this conversation because the nano-dampening of the cross-weaved silica, sub-dimensionally bonded with the micro-teselated dermal buckyball base would have smoothed the chatter out and he would've owned dat.:D

Dave

:lol: Perhaps you are correct sir, but check out the bad boy Hot Tub Coiler Machine I plan to EBAG with ... Old school glass Coiler FC circa 2006.

post-685-141842376682_thumb.jpg

And check out the Frankenbinding setup. Yes, that's a TD1 as in only one, plus one TD2. :D

(My current setup consists of an F2 rear step in, front toe bail with heel and toe lift, so it won't work as a regular stance without adjusting the lifts)

post-685-141842376673_thumb.jpg

Sort of related. So , I roll up to the lift bottom. Load with a spunky young gal. Note that she has her front foot out while loading. On closer observation I find she has been riding her board backwards all day!!!!!! I point out that perhaps she might want to reset the bindings to match her riding preference. She was biased heavily and it was really strange. She was so much fun I stayed with her and swapped her around. TOTALLY fkd her up. Ended up putting it back the way it was accept changing the leash so she could take out the back foot. This meant she had very little board in front of the front binding and allot of board behind the rear. All goes to show you can "get used to" something and it becomes the "Normal".

Enjoy! Bryan

Damn, too bad her boyfriend was in the lodge. She was a blast (and a ginger)

I'm thinking abduction :1luvu: Is that still legal?

Edited by glenn

Tried this last year, after finding that it didn't really matter which foot I put in front on the skwal. Didn't work at all on an alpine setup.

skwal : fine "regular" or "goofy" (but terrifying to ride switch).

Blast 160 SL : "regular" fine forwards or switch. "goofy" - impossible.

Not so strange really. With skwal, there's no real "front" or "back" side, so although it feels "wierd" to have the "wrong" foot forward, it doesn't change much in terms of how you ride. Even with a "powder" skwal like my Panther 178, as long as you swap the bindings from side to side (this is how I discovered it - I lent the board to a friend who is nominally goofy, and then decided to give it a shot like that due to lack of tools on site). With alpine, you're completely reversing *everything*, even with high angles.

Oh yeah, forget about it. I tried this many years ago and had the same results. Four years to get decent at it sounds about right. The funny thing is I (right foot forward) can ride fakie ok, and I can actually have fun on softies with a neutral stance switching back and forth. But if I try an actual forward facing left-foot-forward stance (even just 36/24) it all goes to hell. In hardboots it's even worse.

• 1 month later...

Finaly got about doing this, for laughs!

Setup was Nidecker Proto 167, with 45/35 stance, Carve RS plates, Dalbellos.

Skating was extremely hard, clipping in even harder. Getting of the chairlift was scary, but no crashes. I did total of 4 runs on our bunny hill, which is a bit steeper then a bunny hill should be...

I was able to link turns (very bad ones though) from the get go. Basic linked quasi-carved turns from 3rd run. Crashed once in runs 2 and 3.

I had better results when I absolutely focused, or when I let the board run a bit faster and just went for it. In-between approach doesn't work. Boddy wants to coil wrong way, all the time. It is tempting to go switch, as someone mentioned earlier.

If I ever do this again, I'll go narrower with the stance, just like I did in the beggining of my hard booting. Didn't have enough heel lift in the rear, either (lazyness).

Well, enjoy the vid! Scooby shot this in portrait format, for unknown reasons...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zrRhOd6-S_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>