Note to New Members ×

Switching? Incredible...

Ian M

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Geoff, you know Bordy. He rips it switch.

Correct, I remember trying to keep up with Billy at the 06 ECES at Sugarloaf while he was riding switch on a 183 Prior down Hayburner in sub-par conditions. I thought he was crazy...

Billy's riding switch is even more difficult as he just flips the board around so your angles are reverse.

I've tried riding switch and killed myself as did Todd Brown.

"Ronnie Knuckles" tears it up switch but it is only heelsided.

Like I mentioned above I think we need to distinguish between switch and opposite foot forward here.

Riding switch on a directional set-up is different than riding opposite foot forward on a directional set-up because of the direction your feet are facing. I normally ride goofy-footed, and found riding an alpine board in switch stance was relatively intuitive, but the last time I actually tried to ride an alpine board in a regular-footed stance it was ... heinous.

I've seen a bunch of video of CasperCarver ripping switch. But again he's riding switch not actually riding in his "off stance". Which might actually be better term for this type of riding on a directional set-up.

Dave

Like I mentioned above I think we need to distinguish between switch and opposite foot forward here.
What we normally call "switch" in snowboarding, ie keep our feet the same way but ride backwards, would be called "fakie" in skateboarding. Now we need a third term for "no really, switch like it would be if you were skating".

What we normally call "switch" in snowboarding, ie keep our feet the same way but ride backwards, would be called "fakie" in skateboarding. Now we need a third term for "no really, switch like it would be if you were skating".

I was looking at a third term and I didn't specifically use fakie, because that term was being used for riding backwards when I started snowboarding in '91 and was still in use when I took a hiatus in '96. When I came back in '07 I noticed that the term fakie had been replaced with switch to describe the same movement so I was under the opinion that riding switch and riding fakie were basically synonymous?

The thing here is that riding switch and riding in what I'm describing as "off stance" on a heavily directional biased set-up are really different feeling movements. If you don't believe me, or think Ian's experience is atypical, give the two a shot sometime.

Dave

I was looking at a third term and I didn't specifically use fakie, because that term was being used for riding backwards when I started snowboarding in '91 and was still in use when I took a hiatus in '96. When I came back in '07 I noticed that the term fakie had been replaced with switch to describe the same movement so I was under the opinion that riding switch and riding fakie were basically synonymous?

The thing here is that riding switch and riding in what I'm describing as "off stance" on a heavily directional biased set-up are really different feeling movements. If you don't believe me, or think Ian's experience is atypical, give the two a shot sometime.

Dave

I'm not arguing the difficulty. You are correct: fakie and switch have become synonymous in snowboarding, actually fakie as a term seems to be not used anymore. But because you can't change your foot position, anything in snowboard we call switch is really fakie (from a skaters' POV). For people riding duck there's no practical difference. For us it seems there is a huge difference. I've got no illusions about being able to ride switch as the best I can do fakie is skid turns down a green run.

No I'm cool with talking about it and apologies if I sounded argumentative. The thing is that riding switch or fakie from your normal stance is just riding with the board reversed. That would be there is no change to your foot position regardless of whether you are riding in duck stance or with a directional stance.

But hasn't a directionally-stanced goofy-footed rider who has set their board up regular (off stance) changed their foot position and wouldn't this require a different term than switch or fakie? I only bring this up because there are a number of people above who are posting about riding switch, which isn't really what Ian was doing.

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat
Made second paragraph gender neutral

Riding with your feet heels first is dangerous. I bet most of the people here that try to carve that way have all experienced some sort of shoulder injury including me with a grade 2 A/C separation. I think its because we still ride like we think we can and its Just not the same. I too believe switching from regular to goofy or the other way is totally different than me just spinning my board and riding heels first. After the break in period I think it would be much safer. I hate to say it but at 50 Im not sure I want to fight that battle when I can still ride fairly well just plain ole regular footed.

Yes, we probably need a different term because switch has been co-opted to mean fakie. Otherwise we end up similar to the whole frontside/backside issue, another case where snowboarders (mis)use skate/surf terminology resulting in confusion.

I think "off-stance" is a good term for this because it would give an indication that the directionally biased alpine rider, while appearing to be in their their normal stance, is actually riding in their opposite stance.

This would allow the distinction between "switch carving" which I've seen a number of people do and "off-stance carving" which I have yet to see any one do.

Please ignore the following red text while I don't know of anyone demonstrating this in all 4 modes mentioned in post #44; apparently this type of riding already has a common term "Opp Stance".

IGNORE--> But I'd suggest we let Ian, or anyone who can successfully demonstrate smooth railed linked carves on a board set-up in their opposite, or unnatural, stance actually name it. <--IGNORE

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

In Italy to pass the snowboarding teachers exam you must be able to ride regular or goofy in the same way

On a directional set-up in hardboots? Like I mentioned earlier in softies at low angles or duck that pretty easy. Push the angles up past 50+ degrees and it seems to become a different animal?

Dave

I blew up my front ankle one year about 15 years ago, I had a contract with Park City and had to ride for work so I had to ride one footed and Goofy foot for a year on outriggers, It was hard but doable I still had a lot of fun riding with friends and I got my clinics done so I got my contract renewed and paid!.

I started riding my girlfriends PJ 4.9 in the early 90's cuz I wanted to carve crazy little turns, but she was goofy and I regular. I spent over a year to get it down well. I could run SL coarse by the end of the year but was much faster regular.

Now as a kite boarder I ride both ways all the time and it feel natural, On a carving board I still like to put one foot forward more then the other, and I feel better riding switch on a regular footed board then mounting a board goofy.

Now at one point Jorg mentioned I was the best switch rider he had ever seen (which was nice of him), I have also been complemented on my switch riding by some great riders and coaches, so perhaps it paid off. I have been riding switch on a race board for 20+ years though so the practice has helped. I know that all of my switch riding goes back to riding Goofy footed boards for fun on a tiny little ski hill that got boring back in the day.

I highly encouraged everyone to ride their unnatural stance. For years it was a great tool for Clinics, with upper level riders , instructors, coaches etc...I used to make athletes also ride their uncomforable stance oh did everyone get pissed.......super fun to watch!!!

Edited by Bordy

In Italy to pass the snowboarding teachers exam you must be able to ride regular or goofy in the same way

Same thing here in the US reguardles of set up Alpine or softys all task have to be proformed both ways. On the same set up. requardless of angles. tip first then tail first.

Same thing here in the US reguardles of set up Alpine or softys all task have to be proformed both ways. On the same set up. requardless of angles. tip first then tail first.

Bordy,

Thanks for kicking in. Any suggestions on what this be called then? Switch isn't the same as riding in your unnatural stance. Or perhaps you know what it is referred to as?

Dave

This was my impression too, they wouldn't make you have a whole different opposite setup. After all, you said:
I feel better riding switch on a regular footed board then mounting a board goofy.

Which is what people have been saying here.

It's kind of interesting because with low angles you can essentially ride two ways

1. Normal Stance - Natural leg forward

2. Switch - Unnatural leg forward

But with a highly directionally biased stance you would seem to have four possible ways to ride a board? (You would need two separate boards here)

1. Normal Stance - Natural leg forward, toes pointing in direction of travel

2. Switch - Unnatural leg forward, heels pointing in direction of travel

3. Off Stance - Unnatural leg forward, toes pointing in direction of travel

4. Off Stance Switch - Natural leg forward, heels pointing in direction of travel

Bordy describes doing 2 and 3 above, and Two Ravens described doing 4 earlier on in this thread where she mentioned 4 was much easier than 3. I'd love to see someone who could competently demonstrate all four of these.

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

Bordy,

Thanks for kicking in. Any suggestions on what this be called then? Switch isn't the same as riding in your unnatural stance. Or perhaps you know what it is referred to as?

Dave

Dave, I have always refered to it as Opp Stance, Since thats what I always heard it called. I think In the Books it is Called Natural and Unatural. Just as you called it.

Off to the skate park, with my kids to ride foward and Switch in my Natural Stance. Maybe a little Opp Stance action now, as well, Thanks to this thread!:D

I also WOuld have to hit all four of your Numbered task. Plus as soon as you learn to ride Opp stance you cheat and go Opp sitch all the time out of habbit.

Edited by Bordy

what we probably need is caspercarver.

All the video I see of that Cat, is one turn switch then back around.. Is there any video of him linking turns switch? I am not hating, just asking, all the Vid I see is carve 180 carve 180..Etc..

The more swith riding the better!!

I rememeber this same topic on this forum 10 years ago would lead into a F-You you can't ride switch on a race board flame fest..So this is a very nice topic to see...

But I'd suggest we let Ian, or anyone who can successfully demonstrate smooth railed linked carves on a board set-up in their opposite, or unnatural, stance actually name it.Dave

Haha! Thanks Dave, but I'm far from railing carves on any setup other than my regular. Both 'un-natural' and 'off-stance' make sense to me, though. Where would 'Opp' have come from Bordy?

All the video I see of that Cat, is one turn switch then back around.. Is there any video of him linking turns switch? I am not hating, just asking, all the Vid I see is carve 180 carve 180..Etc..

The more swith riding the better!!

I rememeber this same topic on this forum 10 years ago would lead into a F-You you can't ride switch on a race board flame fest..So this is a very nice topic to see...

There is one video (which YouTube now blocked b/c of music rights etc) where he links turns at the bottom of the run under the chair on the flats...I could be mistaken though. I believe it is this one called "alpine carving slow motion backwards kasperkaver"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_7VHR9KPa8