Note to New Members ×

To tune, or not to tune? THAT is the question....

kinpa

How often do you tune your board?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you tune your board?

• before or after every ride
    • every 2 - 5 days on snow
    • every 5 - 10 days on snow
    • once a month
    • once a season
    • never

ok, ok.... I can't be the only one.... I gotta know. Who of you out there baby your gear and who just rides it the way it is! and maybe the follow up to above question should be somehow related to the amount of initial investment on the board?

Edited by kinpa

I don't trust anyone local to touch my boards. I use the wax wizard to rub in wax every 2nd day or so near the edges, the stuff in the middle lasts a very long time. There is no scraping with the wax wizard, so I could do it in my living room if my wife wasn't around! ;) Plus it's about 1/3rd the time of a hot wax. Hot wax is usually once every season, though I don't think I did it at all last season. However, cat trails don't exist in my part of the world. It's a short hill that's a similar steepness the whole way top to bottom.

I run the diamond stone in a bevel guide down the edges if I notice any issues or every 10-ish days on the hill.

I could do it in my living room if my wife wasn't around! ;)

now, now..... keep your lady happy!!! no sneaking around waxing boards! I always end up with my iron too hot anyway... I couldn't do it without the smell... What's the wax wizard that you speak of? can you post a link or something? kinda curious

BUT..... burnt wax is much better smelling than the smoke from the oven when I try to cook!!! hahahahaha

Edited by kinpa

Being in the midwest I'm on "Packed Powder" most days - so I hit the edges with a diamond stone every couple of days so I can cut through the ice. I learned a long time ago to use wax one or two ranges cooler near my edges to keep from burning my base - it doesn't hurt the glide too much and I know i have wax on. Always hot wax; nothing else lasts more than a few hours.

Riding here in the east, consistently sharp edges are a must. I have a full base grind and tune done every season or two, and then maintain the side edges myself and wax with the whizard. Doing my own work give me so much confidence, because I always know the state of my gear and therefore its limits :)

When I lived back east, I used to be obsessive about my tuning. Now that I live in CO, I tune my carving board infrequently at best, and my powder board sees love before most big dumps.

I hot wax the entire board about every third or fourth day of riding. And use the wax Whizard on the edges after almost every day of riding.

Even though I ride in Utah it seems the wax gets worn off the edges pretty quickly due to trying to carve top to bottom on every run.

I don't mess with sharpening the edges that often unless i get a nick from an exposed rock.

Maybe I need to learn how to hot wax better to keep it from burning off the sides as quickly as it does.

I wax about every two weeks with podium hot wax. I get about 10 days average in that two weeks. I sharpen edges as needed. I do trust my local shop and will have them do base grind and edges about once a season. i ride my board like it could be my last without trying to hit rocks or be just mean to it.

I wax it every 3-5 days.. Hot wax

Edge sharpen by hand tool when needed - mainly removing burrs and rock catch areas

Base tune it at a shop very rarely --

I still ride a 4X4 from Prior that is 10 years old and it has never been shop tuned bu tI ride it mainly at Whistler on softer type snow.

My rule -- if the snow is soft to powder -- you dont need an edge, plus the icy cat tracks back to the lift are easier to ride of the edges are not sharp.

It looks like alpineskituning site was hacked...some kind of java exploit.

The site was last updated 12/15/12 so hopefully Ray will address it soon. Mike at SKIMD has his phone number.

I just bought another WaxWhizard last spring so I'm sure he's still making them.

I voted every ride but skip a day or two at times.

on a daily basis I usually just wax near the edges unless a rock hit or wear requires more.

rub on(touch wax to iron to soften), iron in($6 walmart iron), brass brush in the structure ($5 grill brush homedepot) instead of scrape( I'm cheap that way), always start with cold hard green swix and follow with podium and/or oneballjay graphite slush dependent on temps.

grind and retune every couple seasons

Edited by b0ardski