Note to New Members ×

Meadows- its a start

Mr.E

Amazing conditions today: bluebird, cool temperatures (high around 25) and great snow. Would have been even better, but there was about 2 inches of fresh overnight, which muddled the groom a bit. Still, a great day. Tomorrow (12/31) should also be awesome -- maybe even better than today once they groom.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Met up with Dan and Octavio today. Nice making turns with you guys. I had a ball, weak legs, back, and all.

Don

Feed the addiction...

Hey Don, great meeting / carving with you. Here are some of the videos from today. Unfortunately, the quality of the camera work didn't match the quality of the riding - need some more practice on that front.

Going up Vista

Don and Octavio on Vista

Octavio on HRM

Thanks for the video. I thought it wasn't bad at all, especialy given the conditions. I was worn out and I hope I rode better earlier. That was the lamest ski carving I've ever seen. Even my wife said I sucked, and she doesn't ski or ride. I'm trying to excersize my lower back back into shape trying to avoid another surgery, (which has been advised). All that aside I love to carve and hang out/ride with alpine riders because they "get it"

Thanks again guys

Don

Feed the addiction...

COOL!!! Thanks for the videos Dan, fun stuff to see you guys carving it up.

Good to see you back at MHM Don!!

Meadows "Deals" just in case you don't have a pass and or don't get their mailings.

Shell FREE Wed or Thurs Night Lift Pass - Save $30

Purchase 10 gallons or more of gasoline from a participating Shell service station and receive a coupon, for one “Free” evening (3-9PM) lift ticket with the purchase of a (3-9 PM) lift ticket.

Valid on Wednesday or Thursday nights beginning in January.

Both night passes must be used the same evening.

Details: www.skifreedeals.com.

ROTARY CLUB FUNDRAISER - Monday, January 21st

The Rotary Club of Hood River presents Rotary Night at Mt. Hood Meadows, and all funds raised for this night go to their scholarship program! You can purchase a 2-9 PM lift pass in advance from the Rotary Club or online for just $10. The 2-9 PM lift pass will be $15 if you purchase at the resort. This is the major fundraiser for the Hood River Rotary's community service projects, and we raised $32,000 last season! Ski your heart out and raise funds for a good cause!

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Any Meadows locals want a ride to Schweitzer? Octavio and I are leaving Portland on Wednesday 1/16, driving back on Sunday 1/20. We're taking an Outback wagon and have a roof box if needed, so there's lots of space for gear and boards -- only 2 people in the the car right now. It's a great group of riders, excellent carving mountain, and cheap hotels - what more could you ask for?

Any Meadows locals want a ride to Schweitzer? Octavio and I are leaving Portland on Wednesday 1/16, driving back on Sunday 1/20. We're taking an Outback wagon and have a roof box if needed, so there's lots of space for gear and boards -- only 2 people in the the car right now. It's a great group of riders, excellent carving mountain, and cheap hotels - what more could you ask for?
Dan, this is SO tempting even if I can't ride!! So many good folks, I could use a "Get away" adventure. If you come over this weekend we can talk? Bryan

Dan, this is SO tempting even if I can't ride!! So many good folks, I could use a "Get away" adventure. If you come over this weekend we can talk? Bryan

Hey Bryan, I'd love it if you joined us! I'll plan on dropping by this weekend to suss out details - maybe Saturday afternoon?

Surface was good. Packed powder over a solid base- good carving. Honestly I do think it was helped by the new plate, but still generally good. It was my first real day in almost 2 years, do I didn't get very adventurous. I did make it to shooting star briefly- seemed good.

It was a short day for me (well, if you take out the 6hrs in the truck) and my legs are jelly after a couple of years off. It has been nearly 10 years since I've been to Meadows- things were familiar, but I did end up in a few gullies I forgot about.

What runs/ areas over there are consistently good carving terrain/ decent grooming now?

post-198-141842380556_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update Eric, Don was kind enough to email what he saw last night too. I think today was pretty similar. Ice base with enough snow that most areas were pretty good.

As a general rule. Shooting Star Ridge, Daisy Bowl, Several of the Hood River runs , The "Gulch" off Cascade. Most of these are pretty mellow and seem to get better grooming.

Today Kinikanick on HRM was really nice, along with the "Lift Line" run. Both were smooth and consistent.

Today started off socked in but cleared quite a bit by 10am. Dan L and Mike Tinkler were both there. I got to try out some new boards and plates on better snow. Good times!!!

post-198-141842380544_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842380552_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Pretty sweet day today. Bluebird and cold; about 10 degrees when we parked at HRM. It's the same snow from earlier in the week over a base of ice, but it's still riding well - the groomed snow is chalky, but there are some spots where there isn't enough chalk on top of the ice. Tomorrow should also be great and I think Monday will be good too, but it's warming up on Monday, so after that, I think things will be hardpack / boilerplate until we get some new snow.

Met up with a new alpiner (new to me, anyway) named Josh and chased him around the mountain for awhile - he inspired me and Octavio to push ourselves on some pitches that we usually scrape down...video evidence below. Also ran into Ralph, a guy I used to ride with at Meadows around 2000 or so. Ralph, good to see you, sign up and drop me a PM!

<a href="

">
</a>

and <a href="

">
</a>

and <a href="

">
</a>

and my personal favorite ;)

Damn!!!!!!!!!! Nice work Dan / Octavio!!!

It is a good day when I can confidently pure carve the last part of the SS Ridge run. Nicely done both on the boards and video!!

Thanks again for the update and excellent videos. You will be glad you have these in the future.

It looks like your runs on SS where as good or better (probably better) then what we saw on Friday. Including no lift lines!!!!!!!!

Bryan

Hey Jim,

Doug T. here...got a few nice runs in this morning with Dan L. It got super warm up there. Our best runs were off Vista. If you are heading up next tuesday 1/22, I will be up there for at least half the day. My friend, who is a skier, will likely be with me. You can contact me at dtitus72@gmail.com or 503-730-2310.

Hope you got up there today or yesterday...

Hey Jim,

Doug T. here...got a few nice runs in this morning with Dan L. It got super warm up there. Our best runs were off Vista. If you are heading up next tuesday 1/22, I will be up there for at least half the day. My friend, who is a skier, will likely be with me. You can contact me at dtitus72@gmail.com or 503-730-2310.

Hope you got up there today or yesterday...

Hey Doug I went Monday too. It was really pretty good but yes had a weird inversion going on. Vista was best first off in the morning but rode star from 11 to 2 and it was really good. Full carves locked in from top to bottom. I saw you earlier but couldn't ever catch up. Rode my coiler with a tinkler plate. First time full alpine all year. I am going next week Monday again.

That board must haul @$$ with the plate!!!

Yes it does ! I had the plate since last year and still getting used to it . You go so fast its hard to judge your speed coming into turns. I am slowly learning to trust it more when railed up. I do miss the more connected feel of just td3s . Also it is so hard to ride fakie now. Thanks for the great board Mike :biggthump