Note to New Members ×

2013 Northeast Session

CaRtharsis

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owls Head was a nice ride - a bit crowded as we screwed up and booked during "American Week" (Presidents Day week when just about all of New England has school break). Now this was back when the exchange rate was much different... La Microbrasserie La Memphré in Magog has some nice beer and great food.

Of course, I'd much rather go to Sugarloaf :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I would like to go ahead and propose everyone book the last week in February. That being Feb 25th to March 1st. We have been fortunate with good conditions in past years and when planning this far out I prefer to stick with what works.

Now, the debate will begin for locations. I would like to propose Owls Head. There are other mountains nearby that could be added into the mix for a couple days that week. Or for those interested we could try something further away if you are up for an evening relocation. I am up for 6 days of riding and my legs will be ready for it this season. No slacking off like last year!

Oh, and a little birdie has told me there may be another reason to come North earlier in February but I will wait for the official announcement so I don't steal the thunder. :eplus2:

I would like to propose Owls Head. There are other mountains nearby that could be added into the mix for a couple days that week. /QUOTE]

Please don't interpret this as a statement of intent. I've never made one carve event I've expressed an interest in.

BUT

If I could choose one area in the world I'd like to board/explore, it would be the Townships. Got to know Lac Memphremagog very well during a week's commuting from Jay to Newport. (My wife was laid up in the hospital with a broken hip.) It was a cold winter, -20 F when we finally left Newport, the Lake was well frozen, and there was a beautifully lit, carved ice castle on the Lake as they prepared for a winter carnival.

I like smaller mountains - family-owned Sutton has always been an ambition - and Owl's Head sounds like the best of the group. Jay Peak has been mightily upscaled in the decade since we visited, and my impression is that tariffs have followed suit. Great place, nonetheless.

Hope this happens. Hope the weather cooperates. Hope you have a great time. And hope Ullr smiles, and I somehow get to join you.

cheers

BB :biggthump

Now about getting my wife back to DC for school...

Greyhound...Amtrack...Air Canada...United....Delta...Hertz...shall I continue?

Oh, and a little birdie has told me there may be another reason to come North earlier in February but I will wait for the official announcement so I don't steal the thunder. :eplus2:

I think many may already know...

I'll be there for some days.

The "relâche" week for Montreal is first week of march so we're ok, I'll check for the South Shore.

We do not want to be on the slopes when the schools are closed

Been once to Owl's head, a long time ago, do not remember the mountain well.

As for the other mountains around, Bromont is nice. Sutton is not for carvers. Never heard, good or bad, about Orford.

I have just spent 3 days with Joerg Egli who has agreed to host a weekend Pureboarding session at Mont Blanc (about 90 mins north of Montreal) February 9-10, 2013. He chose these dates since he will be heading back home to Switzerland after his Aspen session. We may try to convince a few European riders, who will also be heading home from Aspen, to stop over in Montreal. Joerg will do some clinics and demo some Pureboarding boards.

Boutique Sharks (the only Montreal shop that stocks carving equipment) will join us with a demo tent on the Sunday. He will bring along Deeluxe boots, F2 bindings and an assortment of boards.

I have agreed to help organise the session and will soon post some preliminary details. Any ideas on how to hook more participants, including riders from the north-east, would be much appreciated.

Hope to see you at Mont Blanc.

Dan Lambert

PS – I will join your planned event at the end of February wherever you choose.

I have just spent 3 days with Joerg Egli who has agreed to host a weekend Pureboarding session at Mont Blanc (about 90 mins north of Montreal) February 9-10, 2013. He chose these dates since he will be heading back home to Switzerland after his Aspen session. We may try to convince a few European riders, who will also be heading home from Aspen, to stop over in Montreal. Joerg will do some clinics and demo some Pureboarding boards.

Boutique Sharks (the only Montreal shop that stocks carving equipment) will join us with a demo tent on the Sunday. He will bring along Deeluxe boots, F2 bindings and an assortment of boards.

I have agreed to help organise the session and will soon post some preliminary details. Any ideas on how to hook more participants, including riders from the north-east, would be much appreciated.

Hope to see you at Mont Blanc.

Dan Lambert

PS – I will join your planned event at the end of February wherever you choose.

Thats Awesome news Dan!!! Much thanks to you and Joerg for making this happen!! I will take care of spreading the word here in Ottawa. I expect a great turnout given the proximity. I've just returned from camping and not had an opportunity to check but have you started an official thread fir this yet? Can't wait!!

Thats Awesome news Dan!!! Much thanks to you and Joerg for making this happen!! I will take care of spreading the word here in Ottawa. I expect a great turnout given the proximity. I've just returned from camping and not had an opportunity to check but have you started an official thread fir this yet? Can't wait!!

Thanks for your enthusiastic response. I was afraid you might be upset at me for announcing an event in Feb in Quebec, when you were already starting to plan and event possibly in Quebec in February. As for the new thread, I’ve been away, but hope to do that this week so guys can start signing up and planning. The more the merrier!

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

The 2013 Northeast Session now has a home, and dates! Mark your calendars for February 24 - March 1, at Owl's Head resort. Lots of people have expressed interest in a day trip to Jay Peak during the week, so that's on the menu too. Tickets at OH are $45, but only $20 Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Everyone is on their own for accommodation, but Chris found lots of great lodging in the area (rental chalets off-resort at very very good prices). More details on that will follow.

Looking forward to a very fun trip!

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Ian M
A stray 'e'

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

So after a short break to sort out details - we booked the lodging. Chris located a beautiful chalet close to Owl's Head and I put a deposit on it. We have space for 18 people with check-in on Saturday 23, February and check-out on Friday March 1. Want in? Simply send me your deposit ($160.00). Spaces are on a first-come first serve basis.

Details:

The mountain

Tickets at Owl's Head are $45 most days, but Tuesday and Wednesday are only $20! Lots of people have expressed interest in a day-trip to Jay peak, which is less than an hour away. FYI - Ski Extreme members from Ottawa get $39 tickets any time at Owls Head.

The magical palace

Chris Hampton found this awesome chalet, which perfectly suits our royal standards because it has a hot-tub, wifi and space for all our boards. Look through the photo gallery using the link above this picture!

Prices including tax:$4,373.65 (or $243.00 per person / approximately $40.00 per person per night)

The main chalet sleeps 12, and three additional rooms in a guest house are available for capacity up to 18 people. We're asking for a $160 deposit to secure your spot(s). This won't be refundable if you back out, unless you provide another person to take your place. Once the deposits are received, we'll know what the price per person is, and will collect the rest at check-in/out.

Deposits can be made to me (Tabatha Soltay). Payments can be made by cash, cheque, or e-transfer to tabatha.soltay@gmail.com. If you'd like to secure your spot.

Let it snow!

Ian, Chris (the real organizing committee ... even though they say they hate organizing stuff) & Tabatha

• 3 weeks later...

Accommodation update :)

We now have eleven people confirmed for the magical palace, seven of whom are hard-booters! So far the crew looks like;

• Chris H, Tabby, Ryan, Deb, Chris D, Judd, and Ian from Ottawa
  • Derek and Aaron from Maine
  • Rob and Monique from Ontario

Best wishes to all of our friends down the coast today; we hope you're safe and are making the best of a very hard time!

Cheers,

Ian