Note to New Members ×

2013 Northeast Session

CaRtharsis

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be at SES with Khanh and since I'm no machine like him, I'll attend the Northeast Session 2-3 days and I'll drive daily.

I'll also be coming off SES with Khanh and Stephane followed by the the weekend at the Rally. I am planning on coming up for a couple of days. I'll email once I knew for sure which days. Most likely Monday and Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all... i just logged on for the 1st time this year & found this thread!

I have 2 complete setups for both hardboots & soft... but am always looking to do more hard since none of my friends do. Last year, i picked up a new (to me) Prior with some sweet TD-3's...can't wait to put them to use! I normally go out to Colorado every year in the beginning of Feb- but that trip might not happen due to circumsances beyond my control. I won't be sure for another month or so- so i'm hesitant to commit to anything else right now. I realize that your spots are filling up fast & probably won't be available by the time i make a decision... so here are my questions for people familiar with this resort. Living in the Washington DC area- i'm on the fence about flying close and renting a car, or just driving my Jeep from here. Closest airport? Will i NEED a vehicle there? Lastly, if i straggle by myself..do you think i can find reasonable accomodations? I'm guessing there is nothing set up with the resort for this little party you're having...but i know that in the past at Stratton, we all got a great lodging/ticket deal at the Stratton Inn. Just thought i'd check. Also- if there's anyone else out there who's on the fence like me (i should know in a month or so) and are interested in sharing a room or whatever (depending on cost)- i'll probably be down.

drummr25, when a month passes and you know more, email me. i'm about 90 minutes from you and am kicking around the idea of a road trip that ends up at owl's head. maybe jay peak, some stuff around Montreal, etc. just a thought.

Most def will! Although i'm originally from Maine- i've never been to any of those mountains. When are the dates you're thinking? feel free to reach out to me @ drummr25@aol.com

-billy

Hey guys - excited that more of our American friends might be joining us. I will keep this thread updated with accommodation notices regarding space. I am not sure what else is close by, but I am pretty sure there will be stuff at Owl's Head including motels and hotels. Would be so cool if we take over a mountain for a day, they will never know what carved them!

In other news - my "new" Donek should be arriving in about 45mins!

Is it snowing yet?

Closest airport? Will i NEED a vehicle there? Lastly, if i straggle by myself..do you think i can find reasonable accomodations? I'm guessing there is nothing set up with the resort for this little party you're having...but i know that in the past at Stratton, we all got a great lodging/ticket deal at the Stratton Inn.

Hey drummr25! I'll add some details to Tabatha's response. The closest sizable airport is Montreal, and from there you could either rent a car (easiest) or ask Owl's Head about shuttles from Montreal; they likely exist. The shuttle option would only work for people staying at the hill, which has limited facilities - one hotel and restaurant I believe. In the surrounding area there are more accommodation and food options, but a car would be required.

As we had no idea going into this how many people might attend, we haven't explored any deals with the resort. However, off-mountain accommodation has proven very affordable, and lift tickets are cheap too. Further discounts have been found for local riders with season's passes at other Canadian hills, but that doesn't you guys; our American friends. This is going to be a fun trip, but is not intended to be in the same league as the awesomeness that is ECES!

When I have more energy in the near future (sick right now) I'll try to source more accommodation info to point latecomers/stragglers/spontaneous types in the right direction!

Cheers,

Ian :)

Hey drummr25! I'll add some details to Tabatha's response. The closest sizable airport is Montreal, and from there you could either rent a car (easiest) or ask Owl's Head about shuttles from Montreal; they likely exist. The shuttle option would only work for people staying at the hill, which has limited facilities - one hotel and restaurant I believe. In the surrounding area there are more accommodation and food options, but a car would be required.

As we had no idea going into this how many people might attend, we haven't explored any deals with the resort. However, off-mountain accommodation has proven very affordable, and lift tickets are cheap too. Further discounts have been found for local riders with season's passes at other Canadian hills, but that doesn't you guys; our American friends. This is going to be a fun trip, but is not intended to be in the same league as the awesomeness that is ECES!

When I have more energy in the near future (sick right now) I'll try to source more accommodation info to point latecomers/stragglers/spontaneous types in the right direction!

Cheers,

Ian :)

Thanks for the heads-up Ian!

If i do this- looks like driving up would probably make the most sense...i like to stay self-sufficient for the most part- and i like having to deal with airports & gear to a minimum..unless it involves thousands of miles of travel!

I'll be looking forward to seeing what people on here are able to find out for all of us & seeing how this develops. I know that this is not and not meant to compete with the ECES in any way (i've been to one a few years ago, and it was great)- but it's nice to have something to go with some carvers to learn from relatively close without having to wait every OTHER year for it to come around at Stratton. There's still an outside chance for me to make Aspen work...or i may try Utah- but i have a lot of business stuff happening now that might require my attention during those time frames.

Too early to bring up the idea of car-pooling?

We are a one-auto family and it would be a bit much for me to also take the car, if you know what I mean.

If someone has extra space, I'll committed to be at Magic Palace (Owl's Head) for the full week, leaving Ottawa and looking for a ride.

Otherwise, if others are in the same boat, I'm cool about renting a car and sharing costs.