Note to New Members ×

2013 Northeast Session

CaRtharsis

Yes I realize its August but someone has to get the ball rolling. The season will be starting agian for some of you in a few months and the rest of us in December (hopefully!!). Due to my wifes work schedule being 4 months advanced I need to try and get some idea of a date that MAY work for some for the east coast riders.

Thanks again to the ECES organizers for the amazing event last year!! For clarity, THIS IS NOT ECES. That title and event belong to the organizers who go above and beyond to take care of us. This will not be a formally organized event as I do not have the skill nor patience to attemp what they accomplish. Just looking for a week away with good friends for great times.

All that being said could we start a dialogue for anyone that may be interested and their preference of week(s) in January or February. Historically the last week of February seems to be about when get have great snow and amazing riding. If a poll is required I can add one. Did Stratton last year and The Loaf the year before. Both were amazing. I would like to open it up to some other locale's this time and see what we can come up with.

After vacationing home in Newfoundland I'm partial to a trip to ride here;

post-1447-141842370292_thumb.jpg

http://skimarble.com/

Passed many a day here enjoying the 1700'. Not staggering by Western standards but still quite enough to play with!

So lets hear it! Think grooooommmmmm!!

post-1447-141842370283_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaRtharsis

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok for clarity I am not suggesting that we all go to Newfoundland, Even though I know it would be hilarious watching you all get "Screeched In". I simply posted it as where I would go if I had an extra $1g sitting around and a week to kill. Its where I grew up so it will always be that special place. I could make more turns at Marble in a day than I would here in Ontario in a season!!

I'm stoked to see responses to this thread already! Chris's suggestion for end of February sounds wise; it's a good bet when planning this far out.

What about Owl's Head or Gore Mountain? I've heard lots of great feedback on both, and know several people first-hand who've enjoyed Owl's Head. Both seem to get lots of snow, have great terrain, and are very quiet mid-week. They're both on the cheaper end, and pretty centrally located for us as well as our friends from Quebec and the U.S.!

Owl's Head - 1700' vertical, 45 trails [Quebec]

post-4057-141842370296_thumb.jpg

Gore Mountain - 2500' vertical, 94 trails [New York]

post-4057-141842370303_thumb.jpg

I can certainly ride Sugarloaf again, but to me it is a bit shy on intermediate terrain. I'd prefer to try something different :D.

Can't wait to book this off at work... any dates in February are peachy for me!

Cheers

Edited by Ian M
Geography

I am there! Heck, there may even be bells and whistles. Not picky at this point about the week. I just need some groom for my new Donek. I like the idea of Owls or Gore, get out and see new places. Let me know what needs help with.

stratton or mt snow will be do-able for me!! just ordered up a new oxess!!

I haven't evaluated it from a carving perspective, but Sugarbush has always been a VERY nice mountain. I imagine it would be more carve-friendly than Jay.

Although pricey(er), Stowe and Sunday River are also considerations. Had a great end-of-season trip to the River a few years back.

Edited by scrapster

I haven't evaluated it from a carving perspective, but Sugarbush has always been a VERY nice mountain. I imagine it would be more carve-friendly than Jay.

The trail map and photos of Sugarbush look TASTY. Anyone have first-hand experience there?

The trail map and photos of Sugarbush look TASTY. Anyone have first-hand experience there?

I used to ski and freeride there quite a bit when I wasn younger. When I picture a classic VT mountain--with groomers, glades, bumps, backcountry, stellar views and a laid back atmosphere-- I see Sugarbush. The snow quality always seemed to be great. I didn't care much about grooming or trail-width back then though, so my memory is foggy on those points. It was also enough off the beaten path not to be too crowded.

Edited by scrapster

Why do you begin to plant these things in my head!!! As much as I'd like to kiss the puffins arse, I'm with Ian here Owl's Head/Gore.

Owl's Head is nice because

1. Proximity to 4 other mountains Jay, Orford, Bromont, Sutton. We could go to Jay for a day or split it 50/50 depending on snow conditions.

2. Accomodations - There are pretty nice condo's in Magog (30min from Owl's Head, 15min from Orford, 1.5hrs to Jay) as well where I can get a deal for about $100/night and sleeps four (two in bedroom, 2 on pullout) full kitchenette, pool, hottub, located a short walk from town with decent bars and where we had a 3 hour epic fondu meal (bring your own depanneur wine)...arguable the best in the region : ) There are also slopeside accomodations that look decent but the nightlife is pretty dull there...okay by me.

3. Cheap! Last year Owl's Head had $20 Tuesdays and Thursdays...yup $20 bucks. If you have CAA/AAA you can also get a discount off regular tickets.

4. The mountain - Super quiet, never waited more than 2 minutes in line even during the major holiday/breaks. The mountain isn't huge but there are guaranteed a handful of awesome runs for carving and some unique twisty/scenic ones. Grooming has always been great as well and the view is spectacular. If we get bored we can go across the border to Jay or hit up Orford ($42/day).

5. Micro climate/geographic location - Owl's Head is right in the same snowbelt as Jay which usually gets hammered with snow...you can see it from the top of Owl's Head. When Orford and others get rain, Owl's Head always seems to get the snow.

6. Last but not least, it's fairly central and accessible to many carvers. I know the Quebec crew frequent the Eastern Townships so we'd probably get a good turn out plus our neighbours to the south.

I'm going to hug the Mean-Bean now...

Snowline Lodge 1/4 mile from Jay Peak has a $99.00 rate for room for 2 with queen beds, breakfast in the a.m. and they have discount vouchers for lift tix.

Of course, now with the water park, brand new hotel Jay and other improvements on the mountain, good opportunity to get a biggggg place with more people and have some more cush accommodations. Didn't make it there last season so would like to get back

I tired to book something at Jay last year for a group of 12 people and it was a NIGHTMARE. Granted, we didn't get our act together until November, but it was really hard to find something nice and close to the hill that wouldn't require us mortgaging everything we owned and be big enough for the group. We ended up at Ice-Face, which really lived up to its name.

I like the idea of coaxing our American friends north to see what Canada has to offer! We are friendly up here! Honnest.

And we have poutine!

I said coaxing our American friends north to see what Canada has to offer, not tempt them to stay here with the fantastic food in Quebec (the cheese, the duck, the beer, the poutine). We need friends south of the boarder so that we have people to visit!

I said coaxing our American friends north to see what Canada has to offer, not tempt them to stay here with the fantastic food in Quebec (the cheese, the duck, the beer, the poutine). We need friends south of the boarder so that we have people to visit!

u can come visit me Tabitha......35 minutes from mt snow and 1 hour from stratton...plus theres always timeberside.