Note to New Members ×

Swoard experience anyone?

Randy Kight

Since the search function is disabled/not working, and I did not see any reviews related at first blush, I thought I'd put a request out to see if anyone can give me some feedback regarding this guy. I see that this company produces a wider variant, which definitely suits my lower angles, and it would seem by their advertising that their boards are softer in nature than most.

Marketing is one thing, personal experience can be another story. Can I get those that have ridden this guy to give me thoughts regarding? I'm interested in a new carving board, but this time around, something easy and surfy feeling that will allow off piste to some extent. No race construction required for me. I miss my old Volkl Spline, Burton M6, etc.

Appreciate the time and information as always,

Randy Kight

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, no Swoard experience here. Have you tried the EC forum already?

If you are not after a dedicated EC board, something like the Pureboarding Bastard might fit the bill: extremely versatile, good for hardpack, carving, extremecarving and pow. Of course, there is always a trade-off involved. You will find a better board for any one purpose, but there are not many boards that offer the same completeness (I haven't had the opportunity to try boards like the Donek Axxess or Coiler AM, though).

A fact worth considering is that I know of no other board that is harder to find used - I know I'm not parting with mine :D

I ride 168 m and s. medium was a bit stiff, soft a bit too soft. I'm 68kg, btw.

It's made for EC and is really good on the icy slopes but I do miss the rubber tail of the old version. It's full-on carving board, not one of the cruisy boards; it wants to be ridden fast and high on the edge. But EC technique in general is not difficult with the right equipments so it could be fun. I folded nose twice pretty big time on soft snow (centered stance with zero set back) so I'm a bit weary of bring the board to the off piste area.... I prefer atv or ufc.

Perhaps prior atv will suit you better? Good edge hold, nothing fancy but time-proven fibreglass construction with two strips of carbon, good edge hold and relatively mellow progressive and forgiving flex and I've used the board for EC as well and it can hold edge. I have 161 and like it. And usually you can buy the, relatively inexpensively from prior racks.

I'm interested in a new carving board, but this time around, something easy and surfy feeling that will allow off piste to some extent.

No race construction required for me. I miss my old Volkl Spline, Burton M6, etc.

I have ridden and still have, in the attic, the Volke Spline and Burton M6.

I also have both the Swoard Extremecarver and the Swoard Dual.

I am EXTREMELY happy, no pun intended, with the Dual.:D

The Dual is much closer to the 'feel' of the Spline and the M6 than the Extremecarver.

If the terrain and snow conditions you ride is a real mix of everything, check out the DUAL.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

This Bastard, pretty easy going carver? All mountain possible?

I've ridden both the Pure Boarding Bastard/Black Diamond and the Two. I would consider both "easy going" carvers and good all around versatile boards. They're easy to get on edge, hold an edge well on soft and hard pack, and do not require a lot of speed to carve, although they can be ridden at speed fine.

Of the two Pure Boarding models (the Bastard and the Black Diamond are the same board with different topsheet), I gravitated toward the Two mostly because the Bastard was very close to my Donek Axxess 162 in flex, feel, size, and shape. The Two has a smaller scr and carves tighter turns than the Bastard. For me, I felt I could get the Two to carve at slower speeds than the Bastard. Amazing how slow you can ride the board and still hold an edge.

I used the Two for the pow day at ECES this year, and was extremely pleased with it's performance in powder. I would even consider taking it into the glades... maybe next year if there's more snow.

One of the advantages that Joerg boasts about the PB boards is that he uses the same board for everything: powder, icy hard pack, fresh on top of groom, soft spring, etc.

My PB Two is my go-to board when I'm having trouble on tricky snow. I've been using it almost exclusively for the soft spring mush as of late.

On the down side, they're not easy to find. :-( You can get them new from http://www.carversparadise.com/, but they're not cheap. I've never seen a used one for sale on Bomber.

I've ridden both the Pure Boarding Bastard/Black Diamond and the Two. I would consider both "easy going" carvers and good all around versatile boards. They're easy to get on edge, hold an edge well on soft and hard pack, and do not require a lot of speed to carve, although they can be ridden at speed fine.
Same here.
Of the two Pure Boarding models (the Bastard and the Black Diamond are the same board with different topsheet), I gravitated toward the Two mostly because the Bastard was very close to my Donek Axxess 162 in flex, feel, size, and shape.
Can't comment on that, because I don't know the Axxess, and my Bastard is a 168.
One of the advantages that Joerg boasts about the PB boards is that he uses the same board for everything: powder, icy hard pack, fresh on top of groom, soft spring, etc.
Yep, it's part of the Pureboarding idea: one man, one board, so to speak.
On the down side, they're not easy to find. :-( You can get them new from http://www.carversparadise.com/, but they're not cheap. I've never seen a used one for sale on Bomber.

In Europe (i.e. carversparadise), the Bastard/BD costs about US$ 750,- before taxes, which certainly is real money, but not outrageous for a well-built quality board (non-metal). Joerg regularly visits the States, so you might get in touch with him via pureboarding.com if you want to work something out.

I have never seen a used PB board in the classifieds of ANY alpine forum. One Bastard was offered to me privately because it was a 162 from before the 168 came out, and the owner wanted to upgrade to the 168. But that was it.

Of the two Pure Boarding models (the Bastard and the Black Diamond are the same board with different topsheet), I gravitated toward the Two mostly because the Bastard was very close to my Donek Axxess 162 in flex, feel, size, and shape. The Two has a smaller scr and carves tighter turns than the Bastard. For me, I felt I could get the Two to carve at slower speeds than the Bastard. Amazing how slow you can ride the board and still hold an edge.

I used the Two for the pow day at ECES this year, and was extremely pleased with it's performance in powder. I would even consider taking it into the glades... maybe next year if there's more snow.

My PB Two is my go-to board when I'm having trouble on tricky snow. I've been using it almost exclusively for the soft spring mush as of late.

I wonder who makes these boards? Are they camber or rocker? I cant find WW measurements. I'm interested.

I wonder who makes these boards? Are they camber or rocker? I cant find WW measurements. I'm interested.

Definitely camber. I believe they're manufactured in Austria. Not sure which manufacturer, though.

Specs for the Two are on the Pure Boarding site here.

And more complete (with SCR) on the Berkshire East Pure Boarding page:

Board length (cm): 152 158 164

Effective edge (cm): 129 134 139

Side cut radius (m): 8.5 9 9.5

Waist width (cm): 21.5 22.7 24.5

I could only find the lengths (162 and 168) listed for the Black Diamond and Bastard.

They are definitely camber, and they are definitely made in Austria (says so on the sidewall), although Jörg's company is Swiss. Waist width on the Bastard/BD 168 is about 24.5, about 1 cm taper. IIRC, sidecut is progressive. I believe SCR on the Bastard/BD is rather larger than on the Two, but I don't have the numbers.

Thanks for all the time and help regarding. I'll continue research. I'm interested in learning more about the pureboarding product. From what I'm hearing, the 2 may be my next board. If any more info is known and can be shared about these boards, I'd greatly appreciate the info.

The PureBoarding TWO is a board that I would definitely like to try, it would be one of my first choices to test drive from a Demo tent.

Has anyone ridden both the Swoard DUAL and the Pureboarding TWO?

It appears that both these boards are carving based boards with the DUAL being designed a BIT more for soft boots and the TWO being designed a BIT more for hard boots.

Can anyone comment on whether this is a correct assumption?

Do any of the Pure Boarding TWO owners use this board with soft boots and hard boots as is done with the DUAL?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Wow, no one with Swoard experience...

Id first say that a Swoard is not only for extremecarving, it was designed for it of couse but considering I used it as beginners board, in powder and as a general everyday carver I consider it pretty versatile. I can be incredibly lazy on it and still have it rail hard. Please do take my opinion with a grain of salt as I am no carving master nor can I extremecarve laying down turn after turn, and the fact that Swoard is now up to Gen4 so my board is a bit dated (its probably 10 years old).

I have a 1st gen 175M, which for my 210 pds is a tad too soft but Im happy with it as its easy to ride on ice or chopped up conditions. Nonetheless, its an incredibly fun and stable board, it was a bit difficult to get used to such a width (I normally ride boards 19-20cm wide), but after a few days it became second nature. Anyways, considering how many thousands of Swoards have been sold and how popular the riding style and "philosophy" become in Europe, if you're looking at something similar or a nice wide board, its a good choice :)

Edited by michael.a

I bought a Swoard Extremecarver 175H last November to complement a quiver that consists mostly of SG Full Race T boards (both with and without plates). After a few runs of getting accustomed to the added width I got totally addicted to the Swoard. Agile, predictable, stable at speed and with superb edge hold on ice and hard pack. It even cuts through crud quite nicely. It loves to be ridden EC style, works great for BOL-style freecarving, and I had a lot of fun racing it through various GS courses (without plates it was no match for a heavily rutted course, though).

So far this year I had about 45 days on snow, each time bringing 2-3 boards with me - ready to ride. Overall, I ended up spending the most time on my Swoard having a ball.

Swoard configurations that did not work for me: Donek plate, TD suspension kit, zero lift.

I have zero powder experience to share.

Cheers,

Louis

Thanks to all. Louis, I gather you are more hardcore/race oriented...I'm not. I like easy medium speed carving. Honestly, don't think I'd even like extreme carving that much, but I like the concept. I'm looking for a very "fun" board, easy to carve on varying conditions out here on the narrower trails of the EC. I spent money on a custom Kessler, 162/23ww, and to flat honest, not my cup of tea...little to demanding for my tastes.

I gather from your experience, your Swoard is easy and comfortable and is not a demanding race oriented deck.

I'm looking for a very "fun" board, easy to carve on varying conditions out here on the narrower trails of the EC.

I can't imagine a board that meets that description much better than my Coiler 167 VSR with the XT sidecut. A huge variety of turn shapes (tending towards the tighter end of the spectrum), pop out of the turns, eats ice, works well in soft. It's my go-to board for local riding. I can have fun on a narrow green run or a wide black run with that board. I prefer my 182 NSR on wide runs if I have that choice.

I didn't really connect with the Swoard. It was great when I was trying to EC, but it didn't excite me for playing any other way on the slopes. Granted, this was 3 or 4 years ago and my ability level has increased a lot since then, but still.

Hey Randy

I completely agree with benttech's thoughts. I have two Extremecarvers, a medium and a hard flex, I ride them literally everywhere. The Swoard Extremecarver is NOT just an EC board, it is a very forgiving all-round board; to say anything different is just not correct.

Swoard is easy and comfortable and is not a demanding race oriented deck.

Yes it is, but turning the 13 metre sidecut radius 'MAY' be a bit of a handful for some riders.

I have seen some good riders try my Swoard Extremecarver(s) and have trouble controlling their speed, ending up in the bushes. They let the sidecut (13m) control them rather then pushing the board, via rotating or angulating hard, etc., to make the board go where they want it to.

Coiler, Swoard, Pure Boarding, Dupraz, etc. ... all make beautiful boards, but you have to be decide how aggressively you want to push yourself on a narrow run with a larger sidecut radius, etc. The Swoard Extremecarver can easily turn some pretty darn tight turns if you make it.

Lower Angles (45 - 35), Surfy feel, M6, Spline, off piste ...didn't like the Kessler SL, I like easy medium speed carving. I'm looking for a very "fun" board, easy to carve on varying conditions out here on the narrower trails.

I get this type of riding, I love to slow down, soul carve, slash a small wind drift or mound of mashed potato snow and dream I am Surfing Margaret River. The DUAL has a 10 metre sidecut a soft forgiving flex, but also has the Swoard Extremecarving inspired carving feel. On a narrow run you can slow down and easily complete a fully 'C' shaped carve, from your posts I get the impression that this is what you are after. For this reason, I would again recommend the DUAL with softer plates and your 45 - 35 stance angles ... so much fun!

Hope this helps

Rob

Randy,

Based on your custom Kessler, it looks like you're looking at 23cm waist width free carve board with set back for mainly carving as well as off piste cruising and tree runs sometimes, short so it's versatile and manoeuvrable and good for mogul fields if needed, can turn tight without much effort, can do that deliciously solid and smooth turn at medium speed on even steep icy narrow slopes (thus needing metal), with possibility of pop between turns? Prefer around 9-10m side cut radius with forgiving longitudinal progressive flex yet stiff torsional flex?

Then consider swoard out. You can make some silly tight turns but you need speed and inclination. And you might not like the side cut range. 161 may be a bit too narrow for your taste, it's 21cm at the waist and has SR of 12m.

I would not hesitate to recommend UFC 163, but you might need to beg Frank to make custom width and side cut radius for you, he might do it if you pay him enough... Contrary to public opinion, you don't need high speed to put it up high on edge, but might be a different story for other sizes. The most user friendly board I've ever ridden, and makes me become really lazy during powder days, it floats with such a minimal effort even on centered stance that I feel like I'm in heaven when powder cruising with the board, and nose never got folded. Carving on groomed slopes is just awesome. Did some relatively tight turns on steeps and it was good and is very stable at speed and has pop between turns. I've got Swoard, virus, donek, prior boards and if I am only allowed one board for the rest of my life I would not hesitate to pick UFC. Makes me salivate when I think about this board.... 11m average side cut and 20cm waist width might be off-putting to you but ask Frank if he's gonna do the custom shapes for you for average side cut of 9.5-10m and waist width of 23cm.

Or go for Coiler, Donek or Prior ATV or 4WD. Pureboarding two looks good too. Dual is good but waist width might be a big bigger than you like and the overall shape maybe too freestyle oriented for your taste. But I've done some silly tight turns using that board and it also has pops as well and is very versatile on mogul fields, but in powder I found I had to shift the binding back. For me it works better with plate bindings than with freestyle bindings, ibex and SW work perfectly.

Randy,

So many different opinions. I rode a Swoard a couple of years ago and found it incredible at its intended purpose of ECing. It would lock into a turn and hold until the end. Unfortunately, I did not find it versatile beyond that and was not very fun for me.

I have been riding a Kessler 162 and 168 for the last two years. As you have found, Kesslers are not cruisers and require a lot of rider input. They come out of turns going much faster than most other boards and that means the rider must be on it. That is not the board for you.

Bruce at Coiler can definitely build surfy cruisers. He knows how to build a board that will come out of a turn going slower to make a more relaxed ride for a freecarver. Like Corey Dyck remarked above, the last Coiler I had was a 165 VSR-AM extra tight sidecut and it was the most surfy carve board I have ever had. Mine might still have wanted more rider input than you are looking for but Bruce also builds the Monsters which are the biggest cruisers I have ever seen. You could at least talk to him to see if you thought he could build a board that would make you happy. Being on east coast snow, I definitely think that the newer materials are going to benefit you tremendously in getting a board that could be described as surfy and easy.