Note to New Members ×

Name Your Top 5 Performance Improvements to Your Riding

barryj

Yes...I did a search...ok only one, but let's try this:

Like it says: Name the top improvements that had a major improvement on your riding.

For me: not any any order,

1- New Deeluxe Suzuka Boots - you don't want to know how old my old pair were!

2- New Virus Board - uh, same as above on my old board

3- Additional lift on rear binding

4- Boot bias really made it come together

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1) (this more than any other) the guy was a polarizer, but riding 4 days a week with CMC for my first years of carving made a huge difference

2) the rest of the Stratton gang. Consistently riding with great riders make you better in so many ways (PSR, Shaggy, Cheri, the Cloyes family, Steph, Alex, Paul K, Crispin, Rudy and many more). Each of these people have taught me something I would never have picked up on my own.

3) Many SES and ECES (carving events in general). Similar to #2 above, riding with other carvers with different styles, views, techniques has made me a stronger rider even if I don't agree with them. Joerg from pureboarding Is the prime example of this. I learned a completely different way to make a carved turn from him at SES. Not my cup of tea, but made me a stronger rider.

4) Finding a board builder that works well with me. Sean at Donek and I are on a similar wave length, think similarly, and communicate well. This combined with his experience and tools has resulted in boards that continually allow me to push my capabilities. If you think that there is nothing better than that 15 year old board you still swear by, call Donek, Coiler or Prior and have them build you a new ride.

5) catek bindings. Company might be on the decline (if not gone), but being able to completely dial in my stance was a huge game changer for me. If something doesn't feel right in my stance, I can change it right then and there and continue riding with confidence.

Without getting all sappy, I find it that 3.5 out of 5 of my game changers revolve around people, not things.

I

1) custom Coiler

2) BTS kit

3) riding at least an hour nearly every morning

4) focusing on one skill or part of a skill/one turn or part of a turn at a time, until I feel I have that piece dialed.

5) video of myself that I can readily compare to other better riders - especially follow cam by Johnasmo that let me see myself and other riders on the same terrain from the same angles. Just watching video of other good riders helps too - I watch over and over in slow-mo if I can, and that seems make it soak into my muscles and bypass all that brain-based nonsense. :)

In chronological order:

1. Reading BOL discussions, tech articles and everything - here I found out what it is all about for the first time. Since I was beggining on my own, this website worked as my instructor

2. getting a SG deck - head to head comparison with my renntiger made me realise how much difference can a board make

3. Meeting Wintergold and following his advice - the biggest step forward I made so far

4. Buying UPZ boots instead of noodle like Deeluxe track 225 - I discovered a whole new world of stability, which resulted in increased power in my riding and higher speeds

5. Another season on slopes chasing Wintergold and working on his hints - priceless

Seems like the common thread here is PEOPLE! Thanks Fin, for having this forum to bring us together. I think we all know, that chance meetings do (and can) happen, but isn't it so much easier to find people on here and arrange a day on the hill!

And equipment? I'm sure that gets included in several people's top 5... I think that may have to do a lot with this forum too.... hmmmm... I think I'm going to start a poll....

Edited by kinpa

Mine may be too long ago to be useful, and I'm probably not a "carver" in the sense many use the word, but here it is anyway:

1 - 1993 I buy a noo-skool race board

The shift to symmetrical race boards was a revelation. These boards were made for speed, not tricks. Stances were

2 - 1997 I switch from race to powder boards in powder

I'd ridden my piste boards in powder for years, then one day I broke the nose off my Nitro Scorpion 162 in deep powder, ramming the nose into a buried log. I was fine, but the nose was flapping in the snow. I was in BC so I couldn't buy another race board for love nor money... so I rode a Burton Supermodel 168, standard powder board of the time. I never went back in powder.

So 100% of my "game changers" were technical things, not people. The reason could be that I'm an arrogant bastard, or maybe there just weren't any other people around when I started, or both. Sure, there's a ton to learn from other people, I just don't ride where they ride much. So one day if I do, maybe I'll be able to add #3.

1) Getting proper fitting hard boots

2) My new Donek...talk about a perfect fit. Nothing I have ever bought before (including bikes, previous boards, kayaks, suits, etc) felt so perfect right out of the box.

3) Sean Martin's advice/guidance/patience during the ordering process

4) Friendly advice from the BOL community. It's been all virtual (BOL) so far, but I hope some day to meet many of you in person. I'm sure there's hundreds more tips I can learn.

starting 25 yrs ago

1 hardboots; starting with Merrel supercomps on a '83 burton performer ups & nordica sbh 91-92

2 board; 89 k2 tx carving board, out carved anything from the rental shop I could try in 88

3 binding; sims rotocants in 92 allowed me to dail in cant & lift just like TDs

4 season pass/practice; 10+ years of 100 day seasons by 05

5 finding BOL in 07; starting to get pretty good with all the advice and other riders I've met since

1) mileage

2)footbeds and foam injected liners

3) learning how to flex my spine

4) taking my race boards out on any run in any conditions

5) becoming an instructor.

putting both feet at 45 degrees

I thought I was the only one. I ride that on my all mountain setups. some people look at me like I am whacked for riding the same angle on both feet.

We weird bros.

Riding with a great crew, including a current racer, Ice, an ex racer, Mr. Awesome and most importantly an ex racer/coach Inkaholic.

Watching the smooth style of the Sheriff, Pcogan

Watching various videos, esp the Loon goons, which helped me apply all the stuff Ink threw at me

Getting a BTS and then outgrowing it

Riding at least 35 days a season

mario

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by softbootsailer viewpost-right.png

putting both feet at 45 degrees

I thought I was the only one. I ride that on my all mountain setups. some people look at me like I am whacked for riding the same angle on both feet.

We weird bros.

Me too. It's pretty much the only way to avoid booting out, other than a 30 cm waist board and extreme duck! (But I find past 45 degrees with soft boots is nearly impossible, so that limits me to wide boards (26 cm +).) That's number 0 for me, then.

Originally posted by icebiker

1) Getting proper fitting hard boots

That's number 1-4 for me! Number 5 is my Coiler RCII 180, way easier to ride than the 177 AM flex 8.0 I had. Oh yeah, number 5.1 is empty slopes!

Getting a BTS and then outgrowing it

That's interesting, I also feel like ditching the BTS for carving on good snow. Tried for few days in the late season last year, it felt good...

My list of 5 (some items of related or similar importance listed together):

1) Skiing for 25+ years first, from young age

2) Moving to Vancouver / Getting my first own snowboard / Starting to snowboard at least 50% of time

3) Mileage

4) Becoming an instructor / CASI courses / Always trying new things / Pushing the envelope / Doing stuff other then carving

5) Finding Bomber, reading and discussing, then trying / Trying tons of gear / Optimizing the setups

and one extra:

6) Going back to a very splayed stance, for the things other then carving / Going back to shorter and softer boards for stuff other then carving

Good stuff guys! Keep it coming......... I envy you guys that can ride together, but I think were on the endangered list up here in N. Cali......I have not seen one other hard booter this season up here at Squaw, Alpine, Northstar, Diamond or Sugar Bowl.

The main things that have helped me are:

1) Riding with the LCI. Sometimes the level of Awesomeness leaves me speechless.... :-)

2) Getting a new-school metal board (Donek 184 GS prototype)

3) Widening my stance and going with pure lift front and back with no cant

4) Reading Bomber and watching video's

These are my cheat notes with the help from fellow BOL members...

1. Heelside: 70% weight on heel of front foot

Toeside: 70% weight on ball of back foot

2. Look way into the turn and where you want to go!

· Pick a marker/tree and focus on that, not the fall line ie downhill.

· Knees driving turn

3. Heelside:

• lean into turn more than you think, shifting slightly forward and in
  • knees driving turn

4. Grab boot cuff.

• Heelside: grab front boot cuff with back hand
  • Toeside: grab back boot with front hand
  • Don’t let your back hand trail behind!
  • No Wings...you’re not trying to fly!

5. Inclination! Only when space and terrain permit.

• Inclination of entire body on each edge.

6. When in doubt ask

• Where are your knees?
  • Where are your hips? If not sure move them!

Other things include, metal deck, proper fitting boots, relaxing and having fun.

Edited by Hilux

Good, neigh, great orthotics, most important tool

Custom foamed liners(surefoot,diablo,?) second most important tool, the shell is along for the ride.

Wrist guards, no more worries on the front edge at speed and just a quick push off if a rear edge slips away, then back at it.

Etymotic research er4 earphones, ahh, (as long as you're on a Kessler with an apex plate or a Virus exterminator "without an Apex plate")

Good snow, hard is a no "brainer", but an actual base is necessary, included in the good snow is good light, no sun no fun.

no this is wings, I call it airplane turns and they make feel like I'm 6 yrs old again,

disclaimer; don't try this at home, I am a professional 6yr old trained in playing airplane, you can not carve with your hands out to the sides

4836854284_e4a3cc80b5_b.jpg

Do you make fighter plane sound effects too???? oh, come on... I know you do! But hey.... just keep those poles out of the way! :D