Note to New Members ×

Where's my snow?

John E

I've not yet been up this season but from everything I've heard, what snow there is in the Colorado mountains is thin & hard. On the national news last night, they indicated that almost the entire US has very little snow. True?

How is Canada doing? Europe?

Where's my snow?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jan 5, 2012 from http://www.skyhidailynews.com/article/20120106/NEWS/120109970/1079&ParentProfile=1067

The calendar says January, but the scenery looks more like pleasant early fall.

Behind the Kawuneeche Visitor Center at the western entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park, measured average snow depth for this time of year is about 22 inches, according to Park staff.

But this year, the depth is 7 inches.

And where the average of December snowfall in that area over the past 62 years is about 28 inches, this December averaged 4.8 inches.

It's a stark contrast to last year's December, during which an average 48 inches fell there.

From Colorado Parks and Wildlife snow surveys located in the Blue River, Middle Creek, Troublesome Creek and Williams Fork areas, compiled by biologists, the average snow depth shows less than 5 centimeters this year, where the 10-year average is about 15 cm.

i haven't been up since november, but whistler is looking good currently. all runs open, 84" base (12" new in the last couple days). vancouver mountains are a bit thin, though cypress has had enough to keep me entertained (and it's been open for nearly 2 months now).

In contrast to last year, Europe is currently drowning in snow! It's been snowing nearly constantly since the middle of December and many resorts have already received as much snow as they got all of last season. Up to this week the weather has been pretty poor with not a ray of sun and very poor visibility but the forecast is predicting clear skies until at least this weekend so the lucky buggers who have chosen this week for their ski holidays are going to have the time of their lives!

Have a look at this link to see snow conditions at various resorts around Europe:

http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=520

I saw a newspaper article this weekend that Vail had only 1500 of their 5300 acres open. Basically the slopes they can blow snow onto and rearrange daily.

Can you imagine paying over $100 for a lift ticket and then be jammed onto less than 30% of their acreage with 1000s of other skiers on marginal snow?

We've had a grand total of 4 inches this year here in WI and none of it is still on the ground. It's been hovering around 50 for the last week but the local hills have done a good job making snow when its cold. It's been fun to introduce my high school racers to the concept of a "hard" course which they immediately point out means ice. Sharp edges and good technique means fast snow around here.

hmmmm, dingbat? what are you trying to say here????
Yeah, I'd like to know also. Looks like 2-4 inches in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow...

Reality is, this time of year, the natural snowfall is usually insignificant compared to the man made. If we had to wait for natural snow to open, most years we'd be well in to Jan or Feb before we had enough cover that it wouldn't get skied down to dirt in an hour. A few seasons ago we consistently had some of the best conditions I've ever seen in Western Mass. without a flake of natural snow. Huge storm after huge storm went south of us. Philly got hammered, D.C. got hammered, NYC got hammered, we got nothing but had awesome conditions because we were in the cold. What I want to know is where's the cold this year? :confused:

What I want to know is where's the cold this year? :confused:

And they're outta fuel.

Russian ship w/USCG ice breaker is crawling toward them with 1,000,000 + gal. gas and diesel. But they're still more than 90 miles out. Crew of the icebreaker has been at sea since May...

BB

Bone Dry up here at 6000+ft...hasn't snowed since the week before Thanksgiving!

This is a resort town(s) and lots of people leaving - no snow, no work!

Just can't wait any longer.

Forecast looks like we will be dry into Feb.

Went rockclimbing New Years Eve in just shorts!

Where's the snow? Here...we actually had a flash flood warning 2 days ago and numerous road closures due to high water. We've actually had our expected monthly rainfall totals every month since October. Of course, Houston finished 2011 with only 25 inches of rain (half our yearly average of 49), so the fact the last 3 months had our expected rainfall is a testament as to how dry it was prior to October. The rain late didn't save the pine trees that died in my neighborhood (about 1/3 of them) nor the trees I see driving to work (about 1/2 of them). The legislature is considering several billion dollars of reservoir work for future droughts and I'm sure Perry will beg the federal government he hates so much to pay for it. The state climatologist mentioned our increasing population and projected warmer temps (getting Perry to admit climate change exists is like Fonzie saying the word "wrong") with the proposal....Ce la Vie:smashfrea

The drought in Texas made national news most of this year. Sounds really tragic. The dead trees won't be back to their current size in our lifetimes. The photos of the suffering wildlife were heartbreaking.

Because of the record floods in the upper mid-west and the drought in Texas makes me wonder if anyone has looked at the economics of building a pipeline that could solve both problems. However, it would have to be a really big pipeline to make any difference. In years like this one the excess water could be moved from North Dakota to Texas. It would be really expensive but might be cheaper than the billions of dollars spent to react to the flooding and the drought.

Anyway, it is snowing lightly here in Denver but looks like nothing up in the mountains.