Note to New Members ×

Where's my snow?

John E

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much snow.... the Avalanche crews delayed the opening of the AJAX until 9:40 (typically first tracks start at 8:00 am so they were nearly 2 hours behind schedule).

The gondola line stretched at one point... out of the Plaza- down the street past the Little Nell- across that Street and up to City market.

Which was perfect because-

A. I arrived at 9:30 late

B. The long line scared off everyone..and people went to the other three mountains. It was epic and empty.

C.The mountain was socked in the clouds until 10:00 am anyhow- sun came out at 10:10 am

D. With the long line...no one at the head of the line dared come all the way down to the bottom to get stuck on the line they THOUGHT was there...but in fact went away completely. Leaving the entire bottom of the Mountain to the few who knew there was no gondola line..leaving everyone else stuck at the top using only 600 vertical feet for fear of a line at the bottom. The other 3 mountains likely opened on time leaving people to track out snow in dense fog... poor guys.

E. All of the above.

All of the above... I had some of the best bluebird powder runs today...because no one was daring to go to Jackpot or Bingo Glades... for fear of getting stuck at the bottom.By the time the crowds figured it out..I had my fill.

This snow will make a great base because the first 2 inches that fell were wet from rain and snow mix- packing nicely to cover rocks... and then about 14 inches on top of that. I hit a few drifts that were waist deep on the run next to Walsh's run.. The south faces were best.

I'd say SES Aspen will be good after all.

Caught the tail end of the perfect groom day....wasting time on the job learning silly photo packages. Amazing conditions even at 1:30 .".uber long layouts on Ruthies keeping the lifties entertained..trying to get some carving converts. Rode up the gondola with Chris Klug who wants to see new Madds again chatting about Anton Pogue on the 158. Klugs working for Southerbys selling real estate - tonight he speaks at Aspens Wheeler opera house giving a talk with Jeff Grell "pioneers of shred" history of snowboarding.

So all excited to break out a MADD on my day off...I call Buttermilk to make sure the hardboots are in stock- dig out my 158's... And awake...to 4 inches of powder and flat light. Ajax and Highlands are buried in snow clouds.

Snow nymph in da house.

So all excited to break out a MADD on my day off...I call Buttermilk to make sure the hardboots are in stock- dig out my 158's

JG- I wouldn't mind a 158 but I'm loving your old 180. Might have been the conditions, but it was sooo surefooted. I think it like to be ridden further toward the nose like the 158 so I may move the front foot forward. You get visiting rights at ECES. :)

Perfect timing for a storm for SES!

I can not even see the mountains from my window. Just whiteness.

My legs feel toasted every day out here until I get 40-50 days. There is that much good groom to be had.

There is so much snow I have to swap from my Rossigonol Judge Powder board to my Salomon 160 Sick stick...because it is pointless to even try to carve for 3 days until it gets packed.

Sarah Palin says she can see Russia from her window, I can see Ruthies from mine- but not today.

It's 7:30 am and I am watching the groomers just coming down off the bottom Ajax now (the only section with visibility) ... must have been a long night...

"JG- I wouldn't mind a 158 but I'm loving your old 180. Might have been the conditions, but it was sooo surefooted. I think it like to be ridden further toward the nose like the 158 so I may move the front foot forward. You get visiting rights at ECES. "

... ah carbon fiber kids coming home for the holidays... as we used to say in the 1990's move forward..the rear holes are for girl racers.

--oddly my post count appears frozen in time. 996 and I don't care for 911's.