Note to New Members ×

2011 Beer Thread

Jack M

I have a neat new little watering hole in my hood:

http://www.hopsandpie.com/index.php

Not that my waistline needs it, but lots of interesting pizzas, and 18 taps on continuous rotation, none of them wasted on piss water macrobrews, but most importantly they have a pandora ska station on at all times. I am slowly adjusting to the concept of higher IBU brews, and thoroughly enjoying the journey

I have a neat new little watering hole in my hood:

http://www.hopsandpie.com/index.php

Not that my waistline needs it, but lots of interesting pizzas, and 18 taps on continuous rotation, none of them wasted on piss water macrobrews, but most importantly they have a pandora ska station on at all times. I am slowly adjusting to the concept of higher IBU brews, and thoroughly enjoying the journey

Nice. Haven't drunk barley wine for for years. Drink a few for me ;)

4 of those in one sitting would be a lot. almost the same as two bottles of wine.

I would probably pass out after 4. Even if I could tolerate that much alcohol I would probably get bogged down before then by the weight and rich flavor. But the flavor made me ignore my better judgment and crack a second one right after polishing off the first, and this was before dinner so I was definitely feeling it. Woopsies!

Yeah Kasteel. Their Rouge rocks hard as well.

Has anyone tried Odell's recent releases of Double Pilsner and Double IPA? The Pilsner is not a Pilsner int he true sense, being at 8%abv, but is so light and elegant, and the hops are so spectacularly balanced, it blew my mind. The IPA was great as well, but the Pilsner took the cake.

Nice. Double Pilsner, that sounds interesting. Gotta say though, I went through a phase of thinking I was a big hop-head only to find out I'm not really. I think I over-did it. Seems like every American micro these days is out to out-hop the next with these high-octane X-tuple IPA's. Lately I've been more into ESBs, blondes, browns, Belgians, Germans, etc. But when I do want to get my hop on, Schneider Hopfen-Weisse is a great alternative.

I rarely buy beer anymore since I started brewing. With experience now my beers are starting to taste more and more like I want. I have 2 regular beers that I brew. My pale Ale and my porter are both exactly how I like them. I'm still working on an IPA for the rotation.

I buy once in a while beers that I've been wanting to taste and more often than anything else end up disapointed. Once a while I fall in love.

La Vache Folle Double IPA is an amazing beer from here. Brewed very limited with only 1 hop and they change hops everytime so you never know. It's pretty hard to find so when I see some I buy some !

The other picture is from a tasting day of my Pale Ale at the cottage. Pretty nice setting !

post-1174-141842344275_thumb.jpg

post-1174-141842344278_thumb.jpg

A friend busted out a. Licorice stout awhile back, quite good, subtle but it was there.

Really been into the darker bottom fermented beers as of late, no particular brands I like most any of the German ones I can get in the US

Smoked ales, been working on my own, not quite there yet but that genre really is interesting, basically I want a lagavulin flavored skull splitter :0

I recently tired a Wells Banana Bread Beer

Banana-Bread-Beer-243x300.jpg

I was very curious of this weird combination, it really did smell like banana bread and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

Another good one was a vanilla Stout made by a local brewer in Glennsfalls, NY call Cooper Cave's Ale Co. Very tasty and smooth.

Jack, Do you recall when you came to say hello to the fellas at the 2010Stratton ECES, and you went to order one of these classy euro pint's ? Instead WE the team, ordered a PBR pounder for you, remember ? Your face turned green for about a minute, but after that you seemed pretty impressed with the most refreshing beer on the earth ! :barf:

post-1557-141842344318_thumb.jpg

Jack, Do you recall when you came to say hello to the fellas at the 2010Stratton ECES, and you went to order one of these classy euro pint's ? Instead WE the team, ordered a PBR pounder for you, remember ? Your face turned green for about a minute, but after that you seemed pretty impressed with the most refreshing beer on the earth ! :barf:

Yeah... I had an "incident" involving PBR and the Sugarloaf Reggae Fest several years ago. Since then I have to muscle my way past the gag reflex to drink it. Then it gets better.

But ya know what, when I want to slum it I like Miller High Life a lot better than Pabst. After all, it's the champagne of beers, right?

Cool thread. I recently started home brewing. The kits make it pretty easy to brew good beer. I did a brown ale which turned out really well. It's almost gone. I brewed a batch of Oktoberfest last weekend, so it's in the fermenter now. I also have some cider in a fermenter. That won't be ready until late June or early July. I'm not a connoisseur, so I can't describe these beers in great detail. But it definitely tastes better when you've brewed it yourself.