Note to New Members ×

Madd issues

moxie

Guest rick ferguson

That is poor quality no matter how you cut it! You paid huge $$ for a board made in where? Italy! Could'nt find a company in the U.S.A to do the work? How much of the customer's money was used to go to Italy for as you say " quality control" Airfare had to be a pretty penny! To ship out a retro board and that 's what it look's like from the photo, I would be pissed off if I waited that long for a board , then told , send it back if you don't like the backwards logo and wait again for a 1st. quality board. The graphic's of a cartoon character on the deck is just lame as so is the fruity flower, a flower just yell's out hard carving , does'nt it? Peace out baby jesus!!! If you guy's are so hard up to have a retro stick , I've got a burton elite with the logo on right! Some of you must be day dreaming, a design from 7-10 year's ago? please , that's like riding a 1960's surfboard when you where a teen and expect it to rip 40 year's later. Design's evolve to what is current now, None of us ride how we did years ago , so why ride the gear of a past era! or atleast have graphic's of the 70's! This is the 2nd. quality issue posted in 2 day's about a loooong awaited board. I now see why the top sheet was kept "top secret" , it sucks! Prior, donek, coiler and even burton! , must be laughing at the poor quality for such a high priced, prized board! This just proved that you can get a custom stick, done right , for less and know what your top sheet will look like . If I was you guy's , I'd buy a roll of contact paper and cover those lame a** top sheet's . Sure you could fool yourself's that they "look" cool , cause you spent a fortune on it. How much did you spend on your wife or girlfreind this x-mas? Did you order a ring that say-"I love you " and it came out- "uoy evol I " sure , that's cool, right arm! Lonerider- If you show up at kirkwood with a board with a "flower & cartoon character" on it , you will be so heckeled by "DA CREW"

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we don't use pennies here I'll throw in my 2 yen's worth, Graphics have never been something I care about...in truth I'd rather have an all black board, but anything on the top sheet s fine since the topsheet means nothing what-so-ever to board performance the base is the only thing that matters. I've never heard so much whining about something so pointless

Personally I think it's lame that they know about the mess up, and still sent out your board. They should have a least contacted you first, and said hey they put you graphics on backwards do you still want it or do we need to order you a new one. Instead they shipped it to you hoping you would just take it. LAME.

My 0.02 (Euro)

In my opinion it’s simple. If you order a custom build board, with a solid (black or whatever) top sheet, or a beautiful design you care for, it should be perfect (well almost).

It should be 100% free of manufacturing problems that make the board perform worse and about 98% (in my opinion) free of visible design mistakes. Hand crafted boards will most of the time have some minor issues, no matter how much you pay for it.

If these issues are acceptable to the owner is up to them of course... but I am actually curious now if there will be a pattern here…

Not telling a customer about an issue, even though they know about it, makes me wonder :confused:

Everyone is different, some of us care about color, design and perfection and try to keep their boards in great shape and

others just ride and don’t give a rats a$$

Cheri,

Thanks for your response. The backwards graphic is ridiculous. As is the damage done to the base. It does not appear to be from shipping, as the box is intact in that area.

I'm very frustrated that no one contacted me. I sent emails on 11/5 and 11/29 inquiring about my board. You guys had plenty of opportunities to inform me of the issue and let me decide. Telling me earlier would've saved a lot of headaches.

Now I'm faced with shipping my board back (at my expense) and waiting a full month for a replacement? Had you told me earlier, the replacement would be on it's way now. Additionally, you said you decided to ship my board because of the name. I didn't even pick the name, never got the email, so it was randomly assigned.

This solution is unacceptable. Including shipping and tuning, I paid a total of $625 for a board with a backward topsheet, and a damaged base. I also waited a total of 8 months from the time of my deposit for this. Now my only option is to pay more (for shipping) and wait another month. Unacceptable.

Originally posted by D-Sub

dont you think this should have been a private discussion?

altho...if you werent getting email responses, well...

sheesh. this looks kinda sketchy the whole thing

It certainly can be discussed privately, but in light of the other issues with Madd (delays, no communication, etc...) I thought it was important enough to bring out into the open. Additionally, I'm not flinging insults or blame, just stating the facts of what happened and hoping for an equitable solution. Why should that be kept private? Why should people be kept in the dark? What's wrong with holding this company to normal standards?

Send it back, get your money back and go somewhere else. Sounds Mickey Mouse to me. There are other options which are a lot less expensive and more than likely will provide you with same ride. Let the other takers spend their cash in your second!

Originally posted by D-Sub

dont you think this should have been a private discussion?

altho...if you werent getting email responses, well...

sheesh. this looks kinda sketchy the whole thing

No, this should not have been private, because I, and a lot of other people here, want to know as much as possible about a company before buying a board from them.

Gecko, I don't think there is anything "Whining" about it, if you don't care about topsheets, fine, but the Madd people seem to take a lot of pride in the topsheet, since they put so much effort into the design. Why should the buyer care any less?

I'm a firm beleiver in Rat Bikes and I spent time as a bicycle messenger...Flash get's stolen drap or wierd gets left alone...As for the "Product" what we have in MADD is a Board that was years ahead of itself in design. It's Production is is probably still done more or less by hand, sadly humans are not perfect, I hope the complaints do stop these folks from continuing production, this was the first "Run" right? I'm sorry that there are issues and it looks like the passion they had for getting the boards built didn't extend to bussiness but then that doesn't surprise me they have other lives...MADD's are a quirky product that fits a particular market from advertisements it is one of the best in it's niche. Though others make similar boards no one really makes a board like it. What will be interesting is if they make a go of it what others will do.

Guest AlpentalRider

can someone explain to me again why you would plop down your hard earned cash way in advance just to be treated so unprofessionally??? Maybe if customers would start letting their wallets do the talking, the Madd folks would get the hint and fix their poor business practices.

Originally posted by moxie

It certainly can be discussed privately, but in light of the other issues with Madd (delays, no communication, etc...) I thought it was important enough to bring out into the open. Additionally, I'm not flinging insults or blame, just stating the facts of what happened and hoping for an equitable solution. Why should that be kept private? Why should people be kept in the dark? What's wrong with holding this company to normal standards?

nothing. I stand corrected.

Originally posted by rick ferguson

I have'nt heard from anyone , except those that rode one in the past , as to whatmakes these board's the sh*t!

Rick,

I too was skeptical about all the claims about Madd boards.... until I rode a new demo in March of this year. Believe me, these boards ride like a dream.

I think many of these issues are going to seem less earth-shattering when people are actually able to lay edge to snow and enjoy their new toys.

I assume it was due to their freestyle decks that tended to explode at the nose I have a friend who broke a few of them

and does not remeber them in a fond way "why the hell did you buy one of those?"

on the other hand their alpine decks are the holy grail of snowboards except that the inserts were brass and that made for issues

so now there is a new run with that one major issue fixed yippee

it looks like the place where they were made was not too worried about quality that sucks

anyway my board is here and should ride well so I am happy

if I was in Moxies shoes I would be pissed and rightly so

Originally posted by rick ferguson

Cheri's tattoo would have been better top sheet material than a japan style cartoon and a love power , peace lov'in flower!:D

HEY! I REALLY hope this upcoming Madd 158 I ordered is gonna have this Cheri's tattoo. That'd kick ass!! And definitly quiet down my impatience. :)

EDIT: I may be impatience with the long delay, but I'm quite sure I'll be blown away again like I was at the SES last year at Beaver Creek with those Madd 158s (and 170s). Cosmetic, long delay, etc., I admit those are worth the price/suffering to -GET- my hands on those Madd 158 and rightly-so own them. I suppose I see it from a racer's point of a view, the board's gonna get beaten up one way or another. only objection I have would be massive base failure (read: BOTTOM base, NOT the top sheet), phuked up edges, and bindings inserts as well as taper/core. That's the only blemishes (amongst other functional part of the board) I will not accept. Otherwise, I could care less. I regularly order 2nds from Mervin MFG for my lib tech freestyling mood days. I tried to convince Fin to sell me his original Madd 158, and I failed. Therefore, I'm gonna suffer some acupunctures (needle-pricking waiting period) in order to quelch my "complainess."

Originally posted by Cheri

p.s. anyone want to buy a one of a kind bbaM board?

Instead of re-selling the board, I think you should ship it around the country as a demo board.

I'll volunteer to pay the shipping costs for Moxie to send me the board to demo for a week or so and then I'll ship it somewhere else to get demo'd or hand it over to someone in So Cal to demo.

That would be a great marketing tool.

I like the Madd reviews that 2Carve and Jack M. stated. These sound like very special boards. At the same time, Prior, Donek, Coiler are all special boards as well, not in the same way, but riders that I know are also very impressed. I recently got a new (barely used) Burton 168 UP, such an easy board to learn to carve on, great beginner board.

Board materials, flex, finish, ride, durability, etc are very important too. From time to time, posts on BOL have stated delams, mistakes, but the manufacturers have done their best to resolve these problems. Nothing wrong with airing the laundry on BOL, it makes for lively debate and also helps to more quickly resolve the issue.

Moxie has kept a very cool temper thoughout this, I applaud him for that.

I think the people at Madd should go out of their way to make this good. Maybe they should offer to let Moxie to ride the messed up board until his 1st rate board is built and shipped/received. It is Dec. 7th, carving season is now.

Doesn't matter what us keyboard cowboy's think, but instead what will Madd offer to make this right???

... we're probably up to a couple of bucks by now though, right?

Observations/Impressions:

1) When I got mine, I noticed a few blemishes on the top sheet as well that I wasn't particularly impressed with, but was overall pleased with the outcome - I was just happy to have it! Seen other larger mfgs with less-than-perfect finishes, etc. I usually correct stuff like that on my own anyway.

2) Already had this thing on the hill and it rides every bit as good as the reputation, indeed it exceeded my expectations! I've ridden a few decks in the past 11-12 years of hardbooting (not as many as some out there I'm sure), but this board truly has some special performance characteristics that I have NOT experienced on other decks (from low 160s to mid 180s). The versatility is incredible - that "tightish" sidecut allows you to pull off hard, low carves on narrower trails, yet will hold on wide steeps at speeds of a much longer stick. Rode everything from green circles to rolled-out black diamonds on this thing and it shined in every instance. From VERY hard-pack (can't really call it ice - this is Utah) to powder and chopped-up crud, the board was very solid and predictable.

3) Working with Shaggy and Cheri has, overall, been a good experience (for me at least) and I'm sure they will work with those that are not happy with their boards.

In my opinion, the concerns expressed by customers are valid points that hopefully the folks at Madd will take into consideration and remedy. Hopefully threads like this will serve as feedback for Madd and future production activity (please don't give up!)

Bottom line - This thing ROCKS and it's NOT for sale!!

:D