Note to New Members ×

Got Some Money to Spend... What Gear Should I buy?

Atom Ant

I recently managed to acquire some money, and would like to devote a portion of it towards next years season (this one has pretty much wrapped here on the east coast). I little background:

I currently own a Prior WCR 173 and a F2 GS 183, both of which I love and both or which are not metal. I own one pair of F2 Titanium Race Plates, which I also like (pain in the ass having to switch bindings over, however). My boots are UPZ RC10s, black tongue. I love expressive freeriding, mixing in Euro carves with race carves and jumps/tricks. However, I also race.

My budget is ~$2,000.

As mentioned I currently don't own a metal board, and I demoed one this season and wasn't in love with it (it was a Coiler of some sort, no VSR). No pop at all - is this the case with all metal boards? I love the spring my wood core boards provide.

My initial list only includes two pairs of F2 bindings, which are a must (and ~$400). What else should I be looking into?

Thanks all in advance for the input.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

carbon / kevlar laminates are supposed to be damp like metal, but poppy like glass. go custom.

And add a little rubber and you got it made... I have an Oxess and if your not going metal.. I would try one..and something about that full carbon top.. I did not notice any sacrifice of not having metal .. Carves through Ice just the same, but with pop!! :biggthump

And don't forget about the Arc' Tyrx Gear...yummy!!!!

I recently managed to acquire some money, and would like to devote a portion of it towards next years season (this one has pretty much wrapped here on the east coast).

Slightly off topic, but plenty of good riding still to be had if you head far enough north! VT & NH are rockin.

Thanks for the tips so far. I am all set in the waxing/tuning departments. I am a serial tuner. Also, I head up to VT/NH every weekend, but its getting to be soft boot time with all the slush I have seen.

I was not impressed by the metal I rode, as I mentioned before it had no pop at all and didn't seem to take turns with the same authority that my other, wood based boards do. In thinking things over, aside from the bindings, I think I already have two great racing boards both of which I can get another season out of. I am leaning towards an all-around / freestyle / freeride board for hardbooting. Any recommendations? Anyone ridden a Bastard? I think due to bang for my buck, I am going to stick with F2 bindings for the time being... anyone disagree?

Again, thanks for all the feedback and help, you all know, I am sure, way more than I do about hardbooting.

The Pureboarding Bastard 168 will be a fine choice. Allround carver, holds an edge nicely, tricks, powder, carving fackie, Ollies, you name it. An excellent all in one. You won't be dissapointed.

Metal boards with lots of POP: VIRUS !:biggthump (the new Black Death III is a real hit among the VIRUS carvers)

....that my other, wood based boards do....
maybe I'm reading too much into your comment, but aren't pretty much all quality boards wood based... "metal" boards too, with a metal sheet being an additive ingredient rather than the basic structural element?

maybe I'm reading too much into your comment, but aren't pretty much all quality boards wood based... "metal" boards too, with a metal sheet being an additive ingredient rather than the basic structural element?

Yup, it's my understanding as well that the majority of boards in the last few years all have wood cores (in the past it was foam or wood). Either metal or fiberglass is used in combination to achieve desired rebound and flex characteristics. The metal aka titanal sandwiches the core giving it certain characteristics and glass can be added as well. From what I gather (someone correct me if I'm off here) glass boards generally have...not necessarily more "pop" but a different "pop" where it's a little less "controlled" for lack of a better term (compared to metal that has a more uniform rebound and provides a component of dampening). Again, someone chime in to set this straight as this is my best explanation from what info I've gathered.

Trying not to spend the entire wad on just one snowboard... as I mentioned I am dropping at least $400 on bindings. So that makes the board / other budget about $1600.

I had a chance to ride as Bastard earlier this season with Jeorg to personally walk me through it but passed so I could go head to head with him in freestyle / freeriding. Holding my own against someone at his level was definitely the highlight of my season. When I see him ride on a Bastard I think that if he can do all that on the board, then its one to buy if I were to want to ride in that style. So I guess I am beginning to settle on a freeride / all around board... aside from a Bastard, are there any others out there?

Again, thanks all for the input.

You seem to be set with carving boards you like... So this is more for fooling around, I guess. I really like the Nidecker Proto 167, for that kind of stuff, if you can find a used one. Pair it with F2 RS Carve bindings and you are set. Just don't expect the board to carve at high speed or at very steep if you are heavy. Very good pow board too...

If you wanted slightly stiffer, similar board, look at F2 ElDiablo 165.

I guess, Prior ATV could fit that bill, too.

I think that with metal boards tested, you experienced 2 effects: New School profile shape and metal + excessive rubber sometimes used with metal. Lots of good stuff out there, you just need to find what worked for you. I wouldn't even think of racing on non-metal board...

Are you set on the F2's? Have you tried Fin's Side Winders? I'm in the same boat you are. Although I've not heard from him lately, I think I have a custom Kessler in the works. Contimplating the SW's or the F2's, but not having ridden either plate, I'm not sure yet. Also, how about the whole plate thing? Any interest in throwing one of these on one of your existing boards?

If I could get a plate, board and both bindings that would be a hell of a hall. Tentatively this is possible for sure on a 2G budget. I know a guy who got a Coiler VSR Metal for $800 flat brand new, and loves it (same guy who lent me the metal i tried... not the same board). So that is a thought, however that is a lot of scrilla for a board I may not like, and which, aside from grip and dampness will ultimately not expand the versatility of my quiver. I have soft boots (which I rode semi-professionally) for powder... which is rare on the east coast anyway. A plate would probably dampen one of my wood racing boards significantly - am I right in that thinking?

Also, as far as the side winders go... they are similar to the F2s in price and basic-design (kinda), with one key difference which in my opinion is a big one: F2s win World Cups and Olympics, side winders do not. Fin obviously stands behind them, and they do amazing things on them as a counter point.

Also, as far as the side winders go... they are similar to the F2s in price and basic-design (kinda), with one key difference which in my opinion is a big one: F2s win World Cups and Olympics, side winders do not. Fin obviously stands behind them, and they do amazing things on them as a counter point.

Non-metal boards are not winning world cups, yet you still want one. See my point?

Also, as far as the side winders go... they are similar to the F2s in price and basic-design (kinda), with one key difference which in my opinion is a big one: F2s win World Cups and Olympics, side winders do not.

Not yet. It takes time to change paradigms of "accepted" equipment in racing. Sidewinders are relatively new. Even the gold-medal winning Karl-style plate has yet to completely replace the outdated Vist on the WC podium.

And MikeC poked a good hole in your logic.

you said $2000, pop, and freeride board for use with hardboots... that all says Oxxess BX board to me.

I gotta tell its been the most fun on one board in years..

163BX, 23 wide, 14.5m sidecut.. extra firm nose and tail for hardboots.. wicked fun as they say out east..:1luvu:

RSS.. you'll still have enough for a lift ticket...:)

post-186-141842342935_thumb.jpg

If you have any chance to test ride a Sense I would sure recommend it!!!

:1luvu:

http://sense4.me/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=29

Andrej makes custom boards. I NEVER rode anything with that much edgehold! Nor 40 other people I tested Sense boards with! Sense's edgehold is a :AR15firin

And if you really like spending money, you can order a custom wood topsheet :D

MikeC... sir, touché.

Just having some fun.

On the SW note, if you can demo a pair, I highly recommend doing it. A few on our team have gone from Ibex to F2s to SW's and they are in love with the SW's. Just a thought.

(Bomber biased here, take note)