Note to New Members ×

results of surveys

Michelle

I’m going to share with you the results of the survey that we had at the banquet. We do read these and we use them to make the event better every year! I’ll comment too on the things that need a little explanation, or a response. We are grateful for all the answers, as it helps to know if we are on the right track or not. I apologize in advance if my sarcasm gets in the way! My responses are in brown italics.

If you filled out a survery, MANY THANKS!!!

<O:p</O:p

<O:p

now that it’s over<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:PersonName w:st=,</st1:PersonName> what did you think? Let us know<st1:PersonName w:st="on">,</st1:PersonName> so that we can make a better SES next year!<O:p</O:p

1. What are your general thoughts on the 2011 SES?<O:p</O:p

Yipee!!!

Fun

Very Great Thing! Very Cool People

Wicked Awesome

Loved It

(star symbol)

Big ol’Time

Great time, great people, great place loads of fun!!

A very good time

Loved it!

Fun but bad weather? (sorry, nothing I can do about that)

Awesome

Great event, very well run…(thank you!)

I had a great time

I had a great time and met some amazing people

All good

It F*ing rocked

Keep it up, great event!

It was excellent

Very well run event. Cudos!

Great!

Do it again

Rocks!

Terriffic!

Great fun!

Great – lots of fun

Great time

2. If you could change one thing (or more) about SES<st1:PersonName w:st="on">,</st1:PersonName> what would it be?<O:p</O:p

• More girly boards! (that would be great, manufacturers???)
  • A water jug at the tent (definitely – we used to have one and it broke…we need another one for sure)
  • Sell new boards at the tent (we did have a pile of new boards with us for sale but it’s hard to bring EVERYTHING EVERY DAY to the tent. If you have questions about what we have for sale, please ask as we either have it with us at the BOL house, or we can get it to you from people coming up during the week).
  • More beer (REALLY? We had beer at every event! If you want, next year, we’ll just IV you with it).
  • Race clinic in pm/afternoon so morning groomers aren’t in conflict. (well, we try to accommodate. We had the race clinic in the morning so that people could use the gates and their feedback from the clinic all day. If we would have had it in the afternoon, people would say “why didn’t you have it in the morning so we had more time?” sorry. What's the vote on this?)
  • More kids! - (I couldn’t agree more! Let’s get more kids involved and to the SES!!!!)
  • Beginner carve clinic (this was held on Sunday. This person must have missed it or maybe they meant to change something about it? Wasn’t clear)
  • Earlier posting of date and schedule and PDF for download (I tried, but things are changing so rapidly that up to the day we left I was making changes!)
  • No powder days (WHAT???? I think the lodge has a nice cup of hot cocoa for you on powder days).
  • Better grooming at Buttermilk (We ask, every year. This year, Cliff asked too. Next year, hopefully I’ve got an “in” that will help in the asking process).
  • Nothing (You are my new favorite person!)
  • Maybe get some feedback on riding early in the week (I think this is called “hire an instructor”. We don’t have official people giving feedback, except those heckling from the chairlift. I have names of instructors available in the Aspen area that can help if you want professional feedback on your riding, as this is not in our budget)
  • The desert (Ok, we’ll work on that)
  • Win more stuff (bring more karma!)
  • Bag check would be handy (yeah, and so would a sherpa for all the demo gear. Sorry, we are just not set up to be responsible for 100+ people’s bags every day. Suggestions are welcome!)
  • More evenly distributed videos/pic (with everyone that is bringing cameras and video to the mountain, and the invention of the Go Pro, I think this will evolve in years to come. This year was FANTASTIC with everyone sharing all of their pics that they spent their vacation/riding time to take!)
  • Women’s clinic not on the first day! (yeah, wasn’t our choice either but it was the only day we could get strapping Richard to come out and take us all on)
  • Incentive for compliance with “theme” party at BOL house (Agreed! Kudos to everyone that come dressed up! We’ll think of something for next year. Does everyone like the theme party?)

3. If you participated in a clinic<st1:PersonName w:st="on">,</st1:PersonName> what is your feedback? <O:p</O:p

Pureboarding – fun and unique (I got a few of these. Good Job Joerg!)

Loved the beginner class with Alex (Awesome! Got a few of these too)

Race Clinic Excellent (Very nice! should we bring this back for next year?)

Intermediate women’s clinic the first day was great! (yes, we love Richard GO GIRLS!)

4. How do you feel about the timing of the event (length and time of year)?<O:p</O:p

Lots of goods, perfect, two thumbs up, and one “I got to skip school!” LOL Also, it would be great if it was a month long ($$ aside) and yes, I did order the snow special for the first 4 days!

5. How can we make it better, more fun, exciting (ex: more or less social events<st1:PersonName w:st="on">,</st1:PersonName> clinics<st1:PersonName w:st="on">,</st1:PersonName> organized events)?<O:p</O:p

Waxing and tuning clinic (Funny enough, we were trying to work out something similar this year but we couldn’t find a meeting space. A bar will just not work. Any suggestions? Any hotels that have a conference room you are aware of?)

• Awards (yes, we thought about this too but wasn’t in the budget this year. Maybe next year?)
  • Make the brats show up (Ah, this is why I had nothing to do with it)
  • Apres board each day – bring your own but @ designated time and place (this one I don’t understand, not sure what is meant – more boarding? When the lifts are closed? More beer? )
  • Mostly I got “perfect” “just fine” and “just keep doing it”. However, I did also get “jello wrestling” and “more single chicks” as well as “more chicks in the hot tub”. Hey, I’m doing my part! Gents, get more ladies involved and then get them to come to Girl’s Night!

6. Were you involved in the mentor program? Please give us feedback if you were. <O:p</O:p

Generally speaking I got “great” and “warmly welcomed”. However, I did also get “I didn’t hear about it” and “it’s a great idea”. This is the second year of it being in place and if you were new to the SES this year you got at least 2 if not 3 emails from me asking if you wanted to be involved. I sent out a lot of emails that went unanswered. If you are interested in being in a mentor for next year, or if you will be coming to the SES for the first time next year, please contact me! It’s a great way to meet some people and get a few tips on the mountains and how everything works on the first day.

Rate the overall value of SES package. (note: lift ticket prices are set; rate other components such as demos<st1:PersonName w:st="on">,</st1:PersonName> parties<st1:PersonName w:st="on">,</st1:PersonName> etc.):

This was mostly 10s (thank you) but I did get a few 8’s and 9’s. Not bad overall!

Worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Best

If you have any suggestions on how we can make this event better, please feel free to let me know! We welcome all suggestions, good and bad. The mentor program started because someone took the time to write to me after the event expressing in a very nice way his disappointment that no one took the time to show him around. It turned into something very positive!

Feel free to comment on anything here – constructive criticism is welcomed! <O:p</O:p

I had a thought about the photo/video - there *are* a ton of people with video cameras I noticed. And a number of people that bring dSLR still cameras as well. I had a Contour HD with me all week but I neglected to use it because I brought the wrong mounts so it was all shaky.

What do you think of setting an informal shooting gallery, maybe on a whiteboard at the tent where we say, between 10:00 and 11:30 am, people will generally be shooting video/stills on ______ trail so bring your a-game and hope somebody gets a gnarly shot of you killing it. Later on (in the day, or after the session) people could upload their video/photos to an agreed upon flickr/youtube account so people could download images and clips of themselves riding.

We could even just set up a bunch of video cameras on the slope with tripods and just let people ride by them, if there are enough people with GoPro/Contour cameras who are willing to participate.

Of course, we'd have to find a way to keep the time/location of the shooting gallery from Trent.

:1luvu:

I'm soooooo going to try to get there next year.

what is the mentor program?

http://www.bomberonline.com/ses/content/ses%20mentor%20program.docx<U5:p<U5:p</U5:p

It is a program designed to have someone meet you, the first time SESer, on your first day and just take a run or two with you so that you can (1) meet people (2) learn some things about the mountains (3) ask any questions you may have (4) learn how the whole SES thing works!

I am notoriously insanely busy the first day and just don't have time to give the attention I would like to all of the people that are there. The mentor program helps Bomber to welcome people and give them the time, attention, and kindness they deserve. :1luvu:

Maybe get some feedback on riding early in the week" (I think this is called “hire an instructor”. We don’t have official people giving feedback, except those heckling from the chairlift. I have names of instructors available in the Aspen area that can help if you want professional feedback on your riding, as this is not in our budget)"

Fair comment. This was my response. The trick is figuring out that you need instruction before the last day of SES :-). Thanks to Chris Karol and Jason for offering constructive criticism. Maybe adding in contact info for private lessons into the SES printed out package would be a useful thing. I think I might take a private lesson next time I get to SES

You can usually get a fair amount of constructive criticism from people at the SES (probably more than you might want!). Everyone is usually super helpful in sharing their understanding of what they know about carving. Chris is a great resource, as is any of the people giving clinics.

Fair enough Scrutton - figuring out you need a lesson I guess is the first step! Sometimes, a big eye opener! (although I think you were doing just fine from the pics I saw!)

I would love to hire a photographer/videographer and a few instructors to just be on hand for the entire week to help everyone out, but it's impossible without making the SES costs skyrocket. Plus, not everyone wants such things so it would be wasted on some. We have found it's better to give people options at the SES rather than forcing them into something they don't want but still have to pay for. We have had, in the past, a few guys that volunteer to video the event, but we haven't had anyone do that in a few years.

Also, all of the people that run the clinics do so on a volunteer basis, so a big huge thanks goes out to those guys! This year Richard, Alex, Joerg, and Chris Karol. THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR TIME AND KNOWLEDGE!

Usually people will contact me and inquire about lessons before the event, and then I can put them in touch with an instructor. A lot of times those guys need a few days to organize a lesson anyhow. If anyone is interested they can go here http://www.bomberonline.com/community/instructor_lookup.cfm or shoot me an email and I will get you the information you need.

An instructor is money well spent in my opinion! :)

As they were filling out surveys, I overheard Helmut & Dancing Poo saying SES needed "more boobs!" But they're the best pair of boobs I've ever seen - why would we need more? :confused::)

BTW - I thought the women's intermediate clinic the first afternoon was perfect timing. I really needed help riding the chop, and got it right at the start. Awesome! :biggthump

I also prefer that all the clinics be in the afternoon - that way we can go have crazy fun tearing up the groom or powder in the morning, then slow it down and learn something in the afternoon when we're a little tired anyway. Or - in the case of the race clinic - it would finally have been warm enough for me to slow down for a couple minutes...

And yes, please - more girly boards. I know they can build 'em... :ices_ange

p.s. I'll say it again - you guys & gals did a great job. Thanks!!!

Of course, we'd have to find a way to keep the time/location of the shooting gallery from Trent.

good luck with that! ;) i'm a lodestone! :biggthump lol! the heckling is just making me miss the ses even more. :(

but, i do share well with others. if i see a camera, i make sure everyone around knows about it. i even share that info with my competition, right mellow yellow?

If this comment came from Helmut, Dancing Poo, or Trent...I'm coming to kick your @ss.

you wouldn't like the hills here. i'll come there, and we'll all be happy! but no, that wasn't a comment from me. all the heckling, jeering, punching, kicking, and telling me to "ride like a girl" from you, two ravens, and michelle that day had me smiling all day. i rode until the end, smiling and yelling "freshies!" when i could. (just trying to fit in with all you powder hounds).

all the heckling, jeering, punching, kicking, and telling me to "ride like a girl" from you, two ravens, and michelle that day had me smiling all day. i rode until the end, smiling and yelling "freshies!" when i could. (just trying to fit in with all you powder hounds).
OMG that day was SOOOO fun!!!! Glad you could keep up Trent!

I’m going to share with you the results of the survey that we had at the banquet. We do read these and we use them to make the event better every year! <o><o><o>

Hi Michelle,

http://www.asahq.org/For-Members/Education-and-Events/Calendar-of-Events/2012/February/Aspen-Anesthesia-2012.aspx

There's an anesthesiology conference at one of the hotels in Snowmass Village, Aspen, from Sat 4th Feb 2012 to Sat 11th Feb 2012 which I'm planning to get to. Do you know if this is the same week as SES 2012?

SunSurfer

</o></o></o>

all the heckling, jeering, punching, kicking, and telling me to "ride like a girl" from you, two ravens, and michelle that day had me smiling all day. i rode until the end, smiling and yelling "freshies!" when i could. (just trying to fit in with all you powder hounds).

Trent, I was SO impressed that you kept up with the girls and that you were still riding even after 3/4 of the Montucky crew packed it in. :biggthump I vote we make you an honorary Powder Queen! :ices_ange