Note to New Members ×

Best New England Carving Mountains

modifiede30

If you like steeps and great grooming. Weekend crowds are manageable due to that other resort to the south which serves as a buffer zone and filter. Sugarloaf also has an alpine snowboarding instructor.

Sugarloaf+Chair+Lift+Accident.jpg

(the two trails on the right of that image are actually nice and wide, just angled away from the camera)

loaf_sesh1.JPG

1180614040_3fJCi-XL.jpg

Nightlife is good but not wild. A few great restaurants. Plenty of on-hill accommodations. Park your car and forget it. Downside? 4 hours from Boston in good weather and light traffic. Can be very cold and/or windy due to high elevation. But, that also means that it can be raining in the valley and snowing on the mountain.

Pico near Rutland VT. Main reasons:

a) Fair amount of wide trails with nice pitch

b) ZERO crowds, even on weekends (since it's in the shadow of Killington, where everyone else goes ;-))

c) Relatively cheap. Lift tickets in the $50 range, whereas Killington's another $25 or so on top of that

depends on what you call good carving.

for me sugarloaf, sunday river then the smaller areas. here's the thing though I like doing everything else too. stratton for example is awesome to carve but not really a challenging place to freeride or anything. taking your carver into places where it's hard to even stay standing is a heck of a way to get in shape and also to be humbled. right now, in my out of shape housewife body that's just about anything not groomed:D

Straton is good, both for grooming and the number of carvers to ride with.

Okemo is ok...the only place you'll find snowboard gates set on the Nastar course (assuming Pat is still in charge)

My favorite smaller mountains were Pico and Bretton Woods. Both have good carving trails and no crowds.

Stowe is a great mountain but the grooming is iffy.

Never made it to the Maine resorts, but the pics I have seen from Jack and others look amazing.

I'm going to Sugarloaf Feb 21-24 with my family. We are stoked because we have only ever been to hills in Ontario and Nova Scotia. I have a few questions:

1. What is the most common alpine set up used by locals? I could bring my SL or GS Protons or I could bring a freecarve board. I'm bringing a soft boot set-up for riding with my 14 year old son but I want to ride plates when he is taking a rest. What would you recommend? I have been boarding for about 20 years but I'm not a great carver so I will probably stick to the less difficult runs. I'm going to take a lesson as well and I want to do that on an alpine set-up.

2. Is there a waxing area? I would like to be able to wax my boards in the evening, is there a place to do this?

3. We are staying in the hotel so I'm also interested in how the equipment lockers are set up. Are the lockers in a central area or are they at the hotel?

Hopefully these questions aren't too dumb. Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Wrapdrive

1. What is the most common alpine set up used by locals? I could bring my SL or GS Protons or I could bring a freecarve board.

GS Proton & Freecarver, bring a pow board just in case, tree riding has been great given the amount snow they've gotten

I'm bringing a soft boot set-up for riding with my 14 year old son but I want to ride plates when he is taking a rest. What would you recommend? I have been boarding for about 20 years but I'm not a great carver so I will probably stick to the less difficult runs.

Start off with Tote Road which you can access via the Super Quad chair
I'm going to take a lesson as well and I want to do that on an alpine set-up.

ask for Erik Beckmann or get intouch with him on this site, he can give you carving lessons.
2. Is there a waxing area? I would like to be able to wax my boards in the evening, is there a place to do this?

For waxing I would recommend the wax wizzard, you use friction to rub the wax on, not hot waxing or scraping needed
3. We are staying in the hotel so I'm also interested in how the equipment lockers are set up. Are the lockers in a central area or are they at the hotel?

There are lockers in the base lodge, and below the ski shop

1. What is the most common alpine set up used by locals? I could bring my SL or GS Protons or I could bring a freecarve board. I'm bringing a soft boot set-up for riding with my 14 year old son but I want to ride plates when he is taking a rest. What would you recommend? I have been boarding for about 20 years but I'm not a great carver so I will probably stick to the less difficult runs. I'm going to take a lesson as well and I want to do that on an alpine set-up.

I would definitely bring at least 2 or even 3 alpine boards in addition to your softboot setup. Sugarloaf can be enjoyed on just about any setup, it really depends on your abilities. The steeps will test you on any board. The cruisers are long and gentle and are good on a 170-something freecarve. Conditions have been great this year. Only times it hasn't been great is when there has been too much snow! Ironic!

I believe there is, you can call the hotel if you want to double check.

The hotel has a ski locker room for their guests, and there are coin-op lockers in the base lodge for duffle bags. But everyone just throws their bags in free cubbies or under tables.

Come on people. Not one vote for Killington. Really?!?! :)

Yes the crowds are crazy on the weekends and sometimes you sit on the side of the trail for a minute or two. But if you get there for first chair and ride for 3-4 hrs (the maximum I can ride anyway) the crowds aren't bad, and the place can't be beat for grooming, width of trails, and variety of steeps and mellow runs. Maybe its just my bias or nostalgia having ridden there for 5 years, but I really did enjoy the place. And its close to civilization.

That being said, I've never been to Sugarloaf.

Try and find those two (Jack M. & GeoffV) if they are on the Mt. @ the same time. Great to watch them carve and they will always help you out with your carving skills.

If you can't find them, look for Eric @ the perfect turn clinic as stated below. And if all that fails look for Dan Wagner at the Sugarloaf hotel front desk. He works the midnight shift till 8am or so and goes out riding for a bit after that. He's a local carver and races in the USASA and is also fun to carve lines with.

Come on people. Not one vote for Killington. Really?!?! :)

Yes the crowds are crazy on the weekends and sometimes you sit on the side of the trail for a minute or two. But if you get there for first chair and ride for 3-4 hrs (the maximum I can ride anyway) the crowds aren't bad, and the place can't be beat for grooming, width of trails, and variety of steeps and mellow runs. Maybe its just my bias or nostalgia having ridden there for 5 years, but I really did enjoy the place. And its close to civilization.

That being said, I've never been to Sugarloaf.

or trails that intersect and cause terrible collisions, killington is generally a waste of time. not just on the weekends. I don't ride on weekends.

I'm going to Sugarloaf Feb 21-24 with my family. We are stoked because we have only ever been to hills in Ontario and Nova Scotia.

Sugarloaf is going to blow your mind! Definately hook up with Erik Beckman. Since you're staying on mountain, you'll get an "Activity Card" that entitles you to a free "Perfect Turns" group lesson each day - which usally ends up as a one-on-one with Erik :)

If you're staying in the Sugarloaf Mountain Hotel, there's a full size tuning bench in the ski locker area complete with power for irons and such. I've only stayed at the hotel, so I don't know the layout at the Sugarloaf Inn.

If you're at the hotel (and not the Sugarloaf Inn), then the ski lockers are on the ground floor to the extreme right while facing the front door. There are lockers both outside (called the Fridge) and inside where the tuning bench is located.

As Geoff noted, there are lockers in the main lodge, but you can just stash your stuff in a cubby, on top of the lockers, on under a table...

Oh, and make sure you hit "The Bag" for a Bag Burger and a brew!

Vermont

Stowe - gondolier

Kilington softboot carving ride with Vin Q of Out of bounds snowboard shop best softboot carver in the East.

New Hampshire

Loon Upper

Upper and lower flying fox ( fun james bond style ride) for carving upper walking boss

Waterville Valley

Tippicanoe

Whitecaps

Attitash

holy crap the whole place is fun.

Massachusetts

Jimminy Peak

Maine

Ride with jack.

Vermont

Stowe - gondolier

Kilington softboot carving ride with Vin Q of Out of bounds snowboard shop best softboot carver in the East.

New Hampshire

Loon Upper

Upper and lower flying fox ( fun james bond style ride) for carving upper walking boss

Waterville Valley

Tippicanoe

Whitecaps

Attitash

holy crap the whole place is fun.

Massachusetts

Jimminy Peak

Maine

Ride with jack.

I've really had great days at Attitash - mainly because they have such great wide trails of varying levels and they're all pretty wide.