Note to New Members ×

Plate System Comparison?

Quigley

I am agonizing over making the decision over whether I want Fin's boiler plate ( which I am aware I probably cant get this season) or Sean at Donek's plate. I think that the carbonfiber boilerplate looks sexier and is probably lighter but the Donek price point is tempting...

Am wondering if anyone out there has rode possibly owned both and could offer an educated opinion.

I am wanting a plate badly but need to get some more info...

thanks

todd

If you can't make a decision from what is on the forum today, and info from the two vendors, I think you might have to wait until after the SES. I am sure both Donek and Bomber will have their plates there for demo. Hopefully a wide range of riders will be able to provide feedback on both systems at that point.

I agree with your assessment though. The Bomber plate is "pure sex," and sex sells, but at 2X the price?!?!?!

Im just glad I am going to the SES so I can try both!

probably wont make it to the SES but may...

am definitely going to get in touch with both Bomber and Donek and try to arrange for demo rides asap.

have got to ride both before making the investment i expect...

8 oz. seems significant but have saved that much with light boots...

anyone know how much my sidewinders weigh?

thanks

So far it looks like the premium for the Boiler buys you Bomber-quality hardware, about 8oz, 0.25" lower height, and greater stiffness. And CF bling factor.

One thing I noticed with the two was that with the actual plate itself, Sean's plate does not flex by hand. I can get Fin's to flex a bit, and about a 1/4" when bolted down to it on the board.

Don't know if thats what you mean Jack, but definetely agree with the rest of it.

Keep in mind Mike that these plates were not developed with slow speed riding in mind.

I have tried one of them already, as well as an Apex Race last spring. I was actually quote surprised at how different the one Colorado-made plate that I rode, felt compared to the Apex... and keep in mind, this is 7 months apart. I plan to do everything in my power to try the other CO-made plate at SES - really, I hope to try both on the same board back to back.

As I can see the BBP is easier to mount (less screws). Most parts are of high quality alu. The most important: The BLING BLING factor is the highest at the BBP is my personal opinion. I doesn't care how it rides, just the looks matters :cool: , just buy it :biggthump. You can't go wrong with Bomber products I have noticed since I rode the stuff a couple of years ;)

One thing I noticed with the two was that with the actual plate itself, Sean's plate does not flex by hand. I can get Fin's to flex a bit, and about a 1/4" when bolted down to it on the board.

Don't know if thats what you mean Jack, but definetely agree with the rest of it.

Mike, I have to respectfully disagree actually. I have both in front of me now. I cannot get the BBP to flex by hand or by all of my weight on it. The Donek I can with some effort. Both are probably stiff enough though. I've only put some miles on the prod and an earlier proto Donek plate. Works great, definitely a game changer. I will get the BBP on my K next weekend for sure. Lets see if the extra stiffness makes a difference underfoot.

The BBP does have better fit and finish, but Sean certainly made a bargain product at about half the price. :)

Mike, I have to respectfully disagree actually. I have both in front of me now. I cannot get the BBP to flex by hand or by all of my weight on it. The Donek I can with some effort. Both are probably stiff enough though. I've only put some miles on the prod and an earlier proto Donek plate. Works great, definitely a game changer. I will get the BBP on my K next weekend for sure. Lets see if the extra stiffness makes a difference underfoot.

The BBP does have better fit and finish, but Sean certainly made a bargain product at about half the price. :)

As do I, compare arms at SES? :biggthump