Note to New Members ×

After attending the ECES last year...

drummr25

It was mentioned to me by more than a few people that my current set-up may very well be hindering me from getting better at this carving thing. ;)

I have alot of experience in softies, ect... 6' tall about 200lbs. I currently have a 163 Renntiger with TD1's. Head Stratos Pro boots. I wear size 11 in regular shoes- forgot the Mondo size on my boots. I don't have the benifit of lots of "TOM", and i barely ever run into other hardbooters here in the DC/MD/VA area where i live to learn about gear/and or riding pointers.

I love the thought of getting some step-ins, and would rather "grow into" a board skill-level..verses getting something i'll want to get rid of sooner than later. I don't know too much about the Renntiger that i already have as far as a fit regarding my weight, size, ect. Many people at the ECES said i should probably have a longer board.

So here's the question: If money were no object (but it actually is! :o) what would you recommend for a board, size and bindings? I live and will be doing most of my riding here on the ICE-coast, but do make a trek to the Rockies in Colorado every year. Leaving in about 3 weeks actually to Breckenridge! So i'd like to have something that can be used around here as well- verses the football field-wide trails you all are blessed with on the "real" mountains. Thanks all for any replies, advise. :biggthump:lurk:

drummr25, if you do hit Breck every year I would strongly recommend renting a demo set from Bomber in Summit County. They have a huge selection of boards and boots and will have the latest and greatest gear available. They can get you set up with the correct gear and correct stance angles. Fin and Michelle may even know of instructors in the area that can work with you.

Our next ECES will be in 2012 and will most likely be back at Stratton.

There are a few riders in your neck of the woods post on the ride board here

Mellow Yellow rides in NC and Mark Brown in MD.

Shameless plug:

I've got a Donek 185 Metal FC for sale over in the classifieds that might work.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32588

No shameless plug..thank you! I was hoping some peeps might throw out some good equipment too. I read through your responses, and someone commented that it might be a bit too flexy at or over 200lbs...that's about where i am. Obviously, i'm probably a ways away from really "pushing" the board skill-wise...but on the same token i tend to pick things up quickly and i don't wanna throw down on this wishing i had something stiffer for my size. Also, at 185- is that too much length for me & my tiny hills for mountains? Most people recommended 171"- to mid 70's for me. Thanks again...and i'm considering your offer BTW. :biggthump

drummr25, if you do hit Breck every year I would strongly recommend renting a demo set from Bomber in Summit County. They have a huge selection of boards and boots and will have the latest and greatest gear available. They can get you set up with the correct gear and correct stance angles. Fin and Michelle may even know of instructors in the area that can work with you.

Our next ECES will be in 2012 and will most likely be back at Stratton.

There are a few riders in your neck of the woods post on the ride board here

Mellow Yellow rides in NC and Mark Brown in MD.

Thanks GeoffV- i sortof remember your handle-name here...i may very well have met you last year. Do you know where "Bomber" is in Summit County? Time is tight, but i might do that...or at least stop by. I will most deffinantly be in for the next ECES at Stratton! :biggthump

FYI: There a low-volume mailing list for riders in the mid-Atlantic here.

Also, see if you can make it to MAC Tracks later this month on the 21st...

Thanks for the head-up...i do get those emails- but unfortunantly weekends are a no-go for me. :mad:

Anyone else with some board/binding suggestions? I'm leaning towards TD2 or 3's step-ins. 185 too big for me? thanks all...

Thanks for the head-up...i do get those emails- but unfortunantly weekends are a no-go for me. :mad:

Anyone else with some board/binding suggestions? I'm leaning towards TD2 or 3's step-ins. 185 too big for me? thanks all...

Hi, I live in Fairfax and go up to Whitetail on weekday only, depends on work schedule. I do have a old Prior 184 GS board if you want to try on to get a feel for long board. Let me know by PM. I'm thinking of one day on next week.

I love the thought of getting some step-ins, and would rather "grow into" a board skill-level..verses getting something i'll want to get rid of sooner than later.

Regarding the board, here's where you get to have your cake and eat it too. Many of the highly regarded modern, metal boards, such as the ones Jack mentioned, are both easier to use for beginners and more fun for most advanced riders than their older brethren.

Regarding bindings, step-ins are IMHO mostly a matter of convenience. If you find your back hurting from clipping in, step-ins will help you, but otherwise, just convenience.

The TD1s are very rigid and can be a rough ride. If you can afford it, TD3s are a nice upgrade. IMHO, especially with yellow rings.

I would recommend a 175 Donek Metal FC and TD3 SI. Then we could hook up at WT and I could test it out for ya.:ices_ange

When do you ride? I might be heading up to WT Fri AM, first chair. I'll be wearing a gray/black jacket and a gray helmet.

One small note:

The more time I spend riding, I learn a boards capability and mine too. So far I've owned three used boards for carving in hardboots. Each board in my opinion have a different feel. For instance my UP doesn't turn as hard as my Freesurf. They're both similar in length (162cm) but what makes them different is the SCR. We all know what SCR does for a board but it's not just knowing it, it's feeling it. Feeling the board respond as you push it to it's limits and the feedback is instantaneous.

My point is, the more you ride, you learn from the equipment you ride. Then you'll be able to decide whats best for you.

Thanks GeoffV- i sortof remember your handle-name here...i may very well have met you last year. Do you know where "Bomber" is in Summit County? Time is tight, but i might do that...or at least stop by. I will most deffinantly be in for the next ECES at Stratton! :biggthump

Give Michelle a call prior to your visit if you do plan on stopping by Bomber.

BomberOnline

129 W. 10th St. Unit A

P.O. Box 1667

Silverthorne, CO, 80498

Phone

970-513-7733

I just started with hard boots last season. I'm about your size/weight and I ride here in eastern PA almost exclusively. I rode 166-168 soft boot boards and found 177-180 boards very friendly with hardboots. You get hooked on the stability and smoothness quickly. Qualification: All that is *as long as it's not crowded*. I'm getting better with making tight turns, but am going to try a shorter board for crowded times. I can skid around just fine on my 180, but what's the point? It's gotten me spoiled! Hopefully the SL board will make crowds fun (right!).

Maybe hold on to your shorter board and pick up a used longer one. Everyone needs a quiver, after all.

TD3's are very nice. If you use fin-tec (as opposed to intec) heels you'll need at least the TD3 heel receiver on TD2s. I got a pair of TD2s set up that way here last season.

Step-ins are convenient. It's really nice to cruise off the lift, step in, and go. Skiers do a double-take.

If you get up to MAC Tracks you can try my 180.

It was mentioned to me by more than a few people that my current set-up may very well be hindering me from getting better at this carving thing. ;)

I have alot of experience in softies, ect... 6' tall about 200lbs. I currently have a 163 Renntiger with TD1's. Head Stratos Pro boots. I wear size 11 in regular shoes- forgot the Mondo size on my boots. I don't have the benifit of lots of "TOM", and i barely ever run into other hardbooters here in the DC/MD/VA area where i live to learn about gear/and or riding pointers.

I love the thought of getting some step-ins, and would rather "grow into" a board skill-level..verses getting something i'll want to get rid of sooner than later. I don't know too much about the Renntiger that i already have as far as a fit regarding my weight, size, ect. Many people at the ECES said i should probably have a longer board.

So here's the question: If money were no object (but it actually is! :o) what would you recommend for a board, size and bindings? I live and will be doing most of my riding here on the ICE-coast, but do make a trek to the Rockies in Colorado every year. Leaving in about 3 weeks actually to Breckenridge! So i'd like to have something that can be used around here as well- verses the football field-wide trails you all are blessed with on the "real" mountains. Thanks all for any replies, advise. :biggthump:lurk:

When you hit the "real" mountains swing over to Buttermilk for a day. Either Wednesdays Highlands or Fridays Buttermilk as I will be hosting "Carvers Breakfast" again. Reserved runs, early lift loading ahead of general public, free muffins and coffee, video and ???. It all starts next week. I will post official schedule as soon as details are for sure. Its a great way to meet other alpine riders, see what they ride and wear, riding styles, different levels and so on. good luck with your riding.