Note to New Members ×

158 Madd original

big canuck

The Emma Peel I carried those in my shop in 1991 with Diana Rigg on it. i think another had Victoria Jealouse on it too.

I have the Victoria Jealouse. :) I got either 2 or 3 of the Emma Peels. No, I'm sure I have two. One of my Emma Peel that I personally made at the factory got stolen. :-/

I've been looking for the one with the half of an anime face of a woman on the base. That's the one i want so badly. The one I got is the one with Victoria and another is the one with the hummingbird. I love the hummingbird version soooo much.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That reminds me.

I specifically got the Emma Peel because of the sidecut radius of 8. And I really like the quick responsive of the carve and so forth. However, as for Madd 158, I believe it's in the range of 10.50 sidecut radius, and yet it rails real good. But I think it's more of the speed of correlations -- cuz I'm able to really crank with the Madd 158 during the railing to make pencil line turn marks, whilst with my Emma Peels, it's more of mellow carving free riding with a free spirit freestylin' as in fun ride!

And yes I'm still not convinced about the Banana Technology. -sigh- Tho I've graduated to NAS (Narrow Ass Snowboards which is actually a pair of skis) by Lib Tech. :)

That reminds me.

I specifically got the Emma Peel because of the sidecut radius of 8. And I really like the quick responsive of the carve and so forth. However, as for Madd 158, I believe it's in the range of 10.50 sidecut radius, and yet it rails real good. But I think it's more of the speed of correlations -- cuz I'm able to really crank with the Madd 158 during the railing to make pencil line turn marks, whilst with my Emma Peels, it's more of mellow carving free riding with a free spirit freestylin' as in fun ride!

And yes I'm still not convinced about the Banana Technology. -sigh- Tho I've graduated to NAS (Narrow Ass Snowboards which is actually a pair of skis) by Lib Tech. :)

The Madd 158 is 8.8 M SCR

I used to talk to Mike Olson all the time at SIA ..we would talk bout new tech for snowboards...and about how so much of what people thought was right about snowboarding was the exact opposite.. that you should try opposites. Sometimes you can turn a negative into a positive.

We talked about new designs.. the main difference was in the material costs. I laughed so hard when he made his Carbon Fiber Bent metal binders... which was really his only foray I know into state of the art materials. (They all suffered catastrophic failure of a composite with multiple stress risers..they were like time bombs...lol... we laughed endlessly over it.) Great guy to work for.

He would shoot dolalr bills out of leaf blowers to attract people.... the best was when Henry Hester (My Roe Racing Teammate- former Gordon and Smith racer) and the rest of the Mervin crew dressed up in 3 piece suits and got business furniture for the trade show instead of trying to be hip.. everyone snubbed them and walked right by thinking they were boring "suits selling insurance".

Or the Year they all dressed as Elvis...

You want the black and white Emma Peel. It was the sultry one..lol. If you find two... let me know as I know someone else who is looking for one.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy-sell-snowboard-equipment/18125-fs-lib-tech-emma-peel-model.html

I just got back from having a blast on my 07 58. I was on a dinky hill and had some fun popping over knolls and loading the tail after the apex. It was actually nice to get back on a lively glass board.

The other thread about "why do you ride old gear?" I think the only 10+ year old boards that are exceptions are the Madds.

I like the "launch pad" effect myself... best day ever for that was on a Madd 170 on super grippy chalk at Waterville valley Monday - a holiday 3 day weekend- it had been perfectly skidded planar by a zillion unskilled snowplowing families. ..loaded it up...launched 18-25 feet laterally with every carve "aired" about 30-40 turns in a row in a single run. You just got this rhythm going... I think the trail was Tippacanoe which fed to tyler too. I still think about hitting that after a holiday of scrapers.....but in the 1990's...there were more low level skiers who made smoooth chalk. There may not be enough 8-14 year skiers who snow plow endlesly anymore...they became snowboarders..

Now, John Gilmour, I truly wish we MET! I'm quite certain we will one of these days. :)

The Madd 158 is 8.8 M SCR

I used to talk to Mike Olson all the time at SIA ..we would talk bout new tech for snowboards...and about how so much of what people thought was right about snowboarding was the exact opposite.. that you should try opposites. Sometimes you can turn a negative into a positive.

We talked about new designs.. the main difference was in the material costs. I laughed so hard when he made his Carbon Fiber Bent metal binders... which was really his only foray I know into state of the art materials. (They all suffered catastrophic failure of a composite with multiple stress risers..they were like time bombs...lol... we laughed endlessly over it.) Great guy to work for.

He would shoot dolalr bills out of leaf blowers to attract people.... the best was when Henry Hester (My Roe Racing Teammate- former Gordon and Smith racer) and the rest of the Mervin crew dressed up in 3 piece suits and got business furniture for the trade show instead of trying to be hip.. everyone snubbed them and walked right by thinking they were boring "suits selling insurance".

Or the Year they all dressed as Elvis...

You want the black and white Emma Peel. It was the sultry one..lol. If you find two... let me know as I know someone else who is looking for one.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy-sell-snowboard-equipment/18125-fs-lib-tech-emma-peel-model.html

though I've never owned one (used to ride gnu back in the day), I've always been a fan of lib tech / mervin - loved the old litigators. the new hardware is pretty cool though. Curious what a skunk ape rides like. and what magnetraction would work like in an alpine application... I fantasize a magnetraction gnu race room (w/ fluorescent pink squiggle) & decambered nose & tail...

the 158 sounds wicked fun though. anybody ridden a coiler angrry?

though I've never owned one (used to ride gnu back in the day), I've always been a fan of lib tech / mervin - loved the old litigators. the new hardware is pretty cool though. Curious what a skunk ape rides like. and what magnetraction would work like in an alpine application... I fantasize a magnetraction gnu race room (w/ fluorescent pink squiggle) & decambered nose & tail...

the 158 sounds wicked fun though. anybody ridden a coiler angrry?

i have a 160 Angrry. (probably rode that more than any other board over the past year) Great board no doubt at all, love it. Stable, easy to ride, ultra custom (love that feature about Bruce's boards) i'm pretty anal about my boards, but i was riding it early season last year and my 4 year old boy ran over the nose at speed (yard sale, skis everywhere, double nostril bleeding nose, concerned ski medics etc... took a hot choc AND a doughnut to get him to stop crying) and turned my jewel to a tool and it just became my daily driver. Not a bad thing at all. He went out and did a couple more runs after the colision.

The glass Madd is just super dynamic. I've been hounding Bruce for a CF BF topsheet board that we got teaser's of last year for a while now. I'm just waiting (im) patientley!!! Bruce holla back brotha!!!!! Guy, build it and they will come!!! Whaddoo I gotta do?

Kurt,

Sadly, my answer is "no" to both of your big questions: (i) never ridden a true slalom board; I know, I'm pathetic. And (ii), no new Kemp yet; he's just chilling, but gets evicted soon.

Dave,

Many thanks. Here's to all the Kemps!

CK, not pathetic at all!! Try one when you get a chance just for sh*ts and giggles. I'd love hear your reaction.:biggthump

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That project is still in the works, If anyone has a broken original send it my way! I now have an original but only had a reissue during the attempt to build the first "trubute" board so my model to work off of was improper to start with. My original is still rideable so I'm not going to butcher it up to see exactly what fabric types they used. Will still need mine in one piece for comparative testing. I have a good idea whats going on in most of it but the reissues plate seems not to be that same as the originals and I can't really get an exact look at it without taking a good chunk out of it. Send any pieces my way boys!

BV

Bruce (and others)

Is it possible to xray a board and see what's inside? I tried to google the answer but could not find anything. Also if possible what dose? I might try to convince the xray dpt here to do it if feasible. It's digital now so probably won't cost much to do.

Bruce (and others)

Is it possible to xray a board and see what's inside? I tried to google the answer but could not find anything. Also if possible what dose? I might try to convince the xray dpt here to do it if feasible. It's digital now so probably won't cost much to do.

Good question but it may require an MRI as the layers are tight against each other so a single picture would probably look jumbled. If you can get an MRI that fast, scan my entire body as I have a lot of trouble areas thet need repair.I would think its much easier to get a busted one and just peel away layers. Since the top is see through you can get an idea of what the board is made of. I sanded a bit of the corner of the top plate and can see the carbon but need a bigger piece to see how it is oriented and what type of weave.

Not too many questions yet to be answered but a hands on operation would be best.

BV