Note to New Members ×

Chair accident at Sugarloaf

trailertrash

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus! Glad your Mom's OK Jack. Gotta love that deep snow under the lift.

Scary stuff indeed, I thought there were more people inspecting lifts. Could have ended sooooo BAD...especially in December hitting rocks and ice...holiday period....etc...

PS: Yo' mama is so fat that.....She broke a LIFT at the LOAF!

Holy crap. Saw the aftermath of a cable down last year, made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach. Can't imagine what it would be like not only to see it come down, but to do so with a family member on board. Glad everyone is at least alive...

The Superquad broke down yesterday while I was on it-the guy next to me was a little tense as he was recounting his previous week's event being on Spillway East...30 mins later came down to the quad running on diesel back-up...great to have back up but Boyne needs to get on it.

I've heard from a longtime employee there that the problem with the Superquad is that it is the first generation of its design, and that they blow 2 electric motors a year. Not sure what "blow" really means, like, do they have to buy 2 whole new motors each year, or do they have to have them rewound or what, but that's the story. The Whiffletree quad is the same product, but a few years newer. Way fewer problems with that lift. If any.

Holy crap. Saw the aftermath of a cable down last year, made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach. Can't imagine what it would be like not only to see it come down, but to do so with a family member on board. Glad everyone is at least alive...

Thanks (again everyone), but let's not let my account of what I saw drift. Per my original post, I did not see the cable fall.

I've heard from a longtime employee there that the problem with the Superquad is that it is the first generation of its design, and that they blow 2 electric motors a year. Not sure what "blow" really means, like, do they have to buy 2 whole new motors each year, or do they have to have them rewound or what, but that's the story. The Whiffletree quad is the same product, but a few years newer. Way fewer problems with that lift. If any.

It's no secret:

The SQ is fond of electrical components.

Your source may have employed hyperbole to make that point.

christ, that's gotta hurt. you'd think a new motor would be worth it. maybe it's just the brushes or something though.

I'm interested though because I've seen really old lifts that are in pretty good condition and don't really have many issues.

amazes me how boyne is getting **** for the same mistakes ASC was making a decade ago at the 'loaf.

like 10 minutes after spillway derailed the rangely double at saddleback shut down. i think the powers that be at saddleback were thinking "hey lets not end up with the kind of mess that happened at the loaf"

And the very next day a chair at Whiteface derailed. However the cable-catchers did their job, so no chairs hit the ground.

I think of the what if's when I'm on a lift, what would I do, etc. Scary stuff.

I do that too. However so did my parents' friend who's chair also hit the ground. He's in one of the photos lying on the ground with his knees up. He was interviewed and he said exactly that - that he's always thought about what to do if the chair falls from the sky. He said there was no time to do anything other than think "oh ****". My mom said basically the same, it was just a freefall.

I had a great discussion with our local lift guru (35yrs experience) about the dynamics and stresses on that unique configuration (spillway). It was enlightening.

All lifts at schwietzer, 40yr old fixed & new detachables, were fitted with cable catch hooks many years ago. No lift at Schwietzer will ever run without them.

And the very next day a chair at Whiteface derailed. However the cable-catchers did their job, so no chairs hit the ground.

yeah, lots of old lifts don't have any.... that bothers me. IMO it should be law.

they should not be too huge of a deal to fit on a sheave assemblies.

All lifts at schwietzer, 40yr old fixed & new detachables, were fitted with cable catch hooks many years ago. No lift at Schwietzer will ever run without them.

Cable catchers won't always save you, of course. Your comment brings up the question of whether it's legal to run a lift *without* catchers, though.

Ah, and there you go. Going off to eat mid post is not recommended. Also,

It's not a legal requirement? WTF?