Note to New Members ×

Extended (nose) -on PLATE

CarvingScooby

Der Blumpkin!!!:eek:

Nice Jack... I was just eating our x-mas lunch extravaganza! No ones touched the pumkin dip...:confused:

Haa...

On a side note.. My question is what the life of a plate??.. I will be riding one every time I go to our local spot to see what happens as time on it goes by.. HALT testing maybe.. but I don't want anything bad to happen while im on it.. may have to hire test dummies...:ices_ange wait.. thats me..doh!!:freak3:

RSS

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain Whine Whine Zed, after a conversation with my buddy in Germany this morning, I got an e-mail from him with a F2.com address suggesting that F2 has setup a special race factory, similar to the the BMW M series, to produce custom F2 race boards. In case you missed the announcement to the distributors last week, get ready to get infected.

It was old news almost a year ago when you alluded to it in your fashionably cryptic and "I know more than you" manner.

If I had 'buddies' in the industry, I wouldn't tell you anything for fear you'd shoot your mouth off and jeopardize a business arrangement that was not yet ready to be announced.

I see posts about broken plates. Do we know the conditions and types of breaks?

If the bill is not intended to contact the board, what if foam blocks changed the length of the tip allowed to bend, lessening the likeloness of contact. This would also move the stress point right next to the binding where it can handle the pressure. Depending on riding conditions that may cause more nose flex, you can man:eek:age that flex. This would also provide a stable edge length increased by the length of th e block.foam gives you control to interfere pressures and angles without transferring damaging pressure to the plate.

you could then micromanage nose flex as mountain conditions change.

Opinions?

Can we just put some sort of polycarbonate spacer,tought it will rise up the system, up front to redistrubute pressure point to avoid breaking the nose ?

Just a question....but don't want to re start the debate about how it's gonna interfere with the board flex..

Gonna ride this one.. Sunday... So far since the other one i have as well has taper its flexible so the nose flex is nice and gradual.. all I know is that it feels like butter when riding .. I love damp rides and no work... I riding recreational.. not racing and I can feel the benifit for me...for me... so Im just saying is if you can try one.. its a nice feel.. is it for every condition. I don't think so but for around where I am.. NO WHERE... its a great ride.. I think the plates that are coming out are all good.. Does the nose do anything? cant tell .. my ride before the plate carves the same as before on my other SGP plate so Im expecting the same.. My thought is a plane binding mount does create a pinch point where the board stops flexing and then hits the binding.. the nose, IF,,,, If goes beyond flex there is something that lets it gradually load up and even out the bend... just my take on it.. I'll know more once I ride it.. but my spade SGP has been holding up well and feels nice and even..so I don't notice.. Is it hitting the board .. well I don't see signs of touching but that doesn't mean its not... Im planing on riding it all season so see how these things work out.. but I like the ride.. it different and smooth so thats for me.. I can see the benifit as long as they are a daily ride... and can take it.. but I dont see that a problem as its made just like a board construction..time will tell...but so far so good..

Is this where i should put my credentials....ahhaahahah just kidding guys..

Have fun.. good snow.. even in this North Coast region

Right said Shred

post-186-141842328837_thumb.jpg

post-186-14184232884_thumb.jpg

For all my fellow industry friends I would make the suggestion to get some face-to-face time with those you share the same business with. I would wager that those "issues" you thought you had, don't seem as important or are unfounded when you chat in person.

That said, just had a great couple of days at the World Cup at Telluride. I took the time to look at as many plates systems as possible and one observation was that a majority of those with "extensions" did not seem to have anything under them. No conclusions here, just stating what I saw.

Can read about the races HERE

Henry from Apex and myself at Telluride this week.

post-1-14184232897_thumb.jpg

I took the time to look at as many plates systems as possible and one observation was that a majority of those with "extensions" did not seem to have anything under them. No conclusions here, just stating what I saw.Can read about the races

Curios:

1)Have u seen any markings from the DUCK BILL bottom edge to the top sheet ? If u do seen markings; how many deck with marking and w/o marking?

2)Is the the DUCK BILL length (from the it nose to the front point load) is 1/2 of the the length from the front point load to the rear point load?

RT

CarvingScooby:

1) hard to see really from my distance any type of markings. So cannot say.

2) No idea here as well. But I bet you could ask Henry once her gets back home from the races. I bet he knows the answers to these questions.

Home from a rather hectic but rewarding week in Telluride. I'll post some photos in the Telluride thread in the Racing section.

The Apex Race Plate was designed for winning World Cup races. It was built for GS turns on a World Cup level course. We think the Apex-Kessler platform is the killer setup for GS.

Mounted on the proper snowboard, the Apex plate works with the board and doesn't try to alter its flex or ride. Quite the contrary - the Apex Race Plate allows the board to work naturally. The hardest part for a rider is trusting that the snowboard is doing its job under the plate.

There are many variables when designing and building a carbon fibre race plate. The materials, the layup, the location of the axles, the hardware and of course, the shape of the plate including the duckbill. Alter a variable and it may have a negative, unforeseen impact on the ride. That's why we haven't "improved" the hardware even though I personally don't like all the fiddly bits. I am not going to mess with success.

We got to where we are over the course of an entire training and racing season, incorporating feedback from six World Cup racers and their support team. There isn't a workshop on earth that could duplicate this kind of laboratory. I have a huge bin full of prototypes. Some crazy stuff that I hope I can share sometime.

The duckbill is part of the overall system. Jasey loved to tinker with it by placing pads under it to tweak the flex of the board. He used different densities and locations to create his own customized, asymmetrical snowboard. And he adjusted it according to the snow and course conditions. And it wasn't just the duckbill he tweaked. Jasey was always adjusting the plate position on the board and moving the axle pins. Most racers mount the plate one way and leave it. And most put nothing under the duckbill.

Isolating on the duckbill and telling you that it does X ignores the fact that is part of the overall plate structure. It's there because it works with the rest of the plate.

After the Olympics, we were under tremendous pressure to release the plate to the rest of the world. Everyone wanted "Jasey's Plate". So that's what they got - right down to the last nut, bolt and duckbill.

A lot of project background can be found in the media coverage we received just prior to the Olympics. We've linked to a few on our webpage: http://www.apexsnowboard.com/press.html

In more than one interview, Jasey laments the fact that there was almost zero equipment innovation in snowboarding.

"It's all about style and image and what your snowboard looks like. There's been absolutely no evolution in snowboard performance," he said.

I hope carvers can appreciate that a small company with almost nothing to gain did something about that.