Note to New Members ×

AT Ski Boots on a Board???

rdietz

Does anyone out there on this forum have any experience with the newer gen AT ski boots on an alpine board?? Looking for a new pair of boots and will be split boarding with them as well. I've seen that most of the higher end AT's have multiple forward lean settings as well as a lateral adjustment. Any first hand or technical knowledge would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks Jon, good to know. I'm riding Reichle 123's right now and they are getting a little long in the tooth. I'm not a big fan of the ultra-stiff alpine board specific boots (heavy too) and will be doing some split-boarding as well. So I'm debating on whether to go with a mid/hi-end AT boot that accepts crampons as they seem to be signifigantly lighter than the hard boots for boarding as well. Anyone else out there have any experiences (good or bad) with the AT ski boots? If so, what brand/model?

Cheers,

Rob

You cannot search "AT boots" using the BOL search function. I do not have time to go through these threads, but have a look at these I got by searching for "Dynafit". Sometimes, even if the title does not say AT boot, there is some good info. You could also search "Scarpa" or "Garmont".

This list is from searching "AT boot" on Google with BOL as the domain.

Splitboard.com, as you may know, has some good info under the "Boots" subforum on AT boots and modifications to make them better for splitting. You can also try searching for the boot brands like I suggested for BOL.

I prefer to carve in snowboard carving boots and to split in modified AT boots. I really like a spring for adjusting and controlling the flex of my carve boot and I really like a much softer AT boot for splitting. The same boot is used by some riders for both though.

Good luck.

There's some closeout deals from backcountry.com $389 for scarpa F3s

SCR0057-FLA.jpghttp://www.departmentofgoods.com/alpine-touring-boots

I haven't seen any ATs with a lateral flex on the cuff, just a cuff cant adjuster, although you can do a cuff hinge replacement mod and add flex by slotting the hole in the boot shell. I just picked up some old Raichle Snowboarder boots in excellent condition (thanks clakata) to use for splitting. They have lateral flex at both cuff hinges but the soles are a bit longer and are heavier than a new light AT. Lots of good info from Buells links Highly recommended reading.

Balancing cuff height, weight, lateral flex and forward flex can be an interesting prospect.

I rode Scarpa Denali's for a couple years before switching to Crispi Diablo's.

Most of the "big mountain" type AT boots have a tall cuff, but are overly stiff for how I like to ride a board. The Diablo have a tall cuff to drive big boards on piste, but walk and climb well still. Heavier then some, and no Dynafit if you need it.

• 5 weeks later...

I have exactly one day of touring on Scarpa Spirit 3s, and it didn't go that well. They were great for skinning, but didn't work well for boarding -- too upright, so I couldn't bend my knees enough. I took another look when I got home, and realized I had completely missed the forward lean adjustment (it's not on the walk/ride switch), so I'm going to adjust that and see how it goes this weekend.

Dan,

Take a look at the F1 and F3 thread under the boot sub Forum on Splitboard.com. AT boots are too upright for snowboarding in ride mode when locked in ride mode, especially for a lightweight.

Thanks Buell, I'll do that. I definitely need some tips.

Even Walk mode didn't help me much. I wound up riding back to the parking lot with the powerstrap and top buckle open. I'm really reluctant to cut up the boot -- hopefully that thread you suggested will point out another way.

--------------------------------

Edited to add: just took a look at that thread, thanks very much for pointing it out! Lots of good info there, in fact too much there to digest right now -- I'll take another look tonight, with my boots at hand.

Got on Scarpas last year and they didnt work with my td2s but when i got my sidewinders it was beautiful. The Skookums were last years top end lightest AT boot and they definitely are much lighter than my old deeluxes and look far more tough. They came with a stiff and soft tounge, i use the stiff with my 197 but thats too much for riding powder. But I love hiking in them when I have the soft tounge in.

Mostly I love wearing sh*t kickers rather than ballet slippers :)

I just moulded and fitted a pair of Dynafit ZZERO4 PX TF. They are the softest 4 buckles in their range. They are a kilo lighter/pair than 325s with BTS. After moulding the fit is superb compared to the Deluxe.

As I´m only riding wider board I wanted a boot whoch wasn´t to stiff sideways. The PX don´t have carbonfirbe reinforcements in the sides so they bend easier. My only concern is that they aren´t springloaded in forward flex. But I can´t see any downsides compared to a snowboardspecific boot when riding say a SuperSwede or similar board. Especilally the weight saving is really strong point.

Those F3s are nice. I've had a tough time pulling away what has worked for me. Raichle Concordia with F1 pro liners. They have worked well for me and fit great so I've always stayed with them. Big powder boards, race boards even skiing.

Dude!! Your avatar, you standing in front of a church? Watch your step son :eplus2::cool:;)

I use Scarpa spirits with booster straps and like them alot. They have a nice progressive flex and will fit other tongues such as SB series rachlies. I use them on my skiis , tankers and split board. Bomber td2's work fine but you need the wide bail kit for the front for more toe room .(ask Michelle or Fin ) .

I hunted for a light weight boot for freeriding for years. I just scored a pair of Scarpa Denali's and, after the first ride, am VERY pleased with what they offer. They sure aren't as heavy as my raichle's and they flex different, but I am figuring a work around for the lateral flex.

For a non race snowboarder looking for hardboots, can't beat going into REI and getting fitted!

• 2 months later...

Brining back this old thread from the dead... I am looking at some Scarpa F1 AT boots to ride on OS2s... thumbs up or down and why from anyone interested in pitching me more advice.

Im all ears

Evan

ALSO: I may be using these for my K2 Gyrator Reverse Camber powder board as well.

Want to get some advice on these boots. Anyone have experience with the Scarpa Matrix AT's?

http://www.skiessentials.com/browse.cfm/scarpa-matrix-at-boots/4,3822.html?utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=csc&utm_campaign=broi

Again, just to reiterate, they will be used for my powder board but mostly my 176 F2 speedster carver... I’m 240lbs and new to carving (been snowboarding for 15 yrs.). its a mondo 31.5 and my bindings are Catek OS2s...

I found them for an unreal deal through a third party brand new. Any and all advice is welcome. <O:p</O:p

Evan

I am using the Garmont boots since 2006. These are much less stiff than my reactors, but are awesome on powder days and deep stuff. They have a R/R mechanism and fit the crampons great. Also, the sole length happens to be identical to the reactor, so I can switch back and forth anytime. No adjustments needed.

Benfits - light, formed to my feet by the shop. Good lateral stiffness, lockable forward lean.

Cons - not as "tight" as the burtons. Not for ice riding. and transmit a lot of feel into my legs.

So, not my best boot. But I can ride all day in these. Warm, comfortable and light.

post-2369-141842340675_thumb.gif

• 1 month later...

I ride (freeride) with garmont MegaLite on a Pogo Shaman 193 swallowtail (binding F2 race titanium).

I am thinking to go to Dynafit TLT5 or Scarpa F1 (lighter) .... or the new scarpa Alien.

With this setting I dont use more softboots!