Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line 10-11

Snowman

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what's on... Almost all season I had only positive comments or just geniune interested inquiries and semi-understending people. Now suddenly, prolifferations of stupiddity...

Today, a skier women: "What kind of ski is that?"

Me, first: "Oh, I lost my other one", then: "It's a snowboard"

Women: "Oh, so it's a ski-snowboard!"

Me: "No, just a snowboard"

Women: "But, but..."

Me: "It's called Alpine or Carving snowboard..."

Women, pointing at my boots: "But, then you are missing the best part of snowboarding - the boots."

Me: "You mean the worst part of snowboarding?"

Later on, she stopped in the midle of the run to watch Roy and me put down the show...

Not quite in the lift line but the last time i rode 2 weeks ago i did a couple of completely fully laid railing body dragging turns at a very steep run and on the last carve came to a complete armpit to snow stop on the run so i could wait for my freestyle buddy to come so we can continue together so a skier pules up next to me and asks me "are you O.K?" and he continues "man that was close,be careful this run is pretty steep"

A skier friend to my wife, after having a little discussion about wether or not we should make another run on the freshly groomed super fresh snow carving slope or go enjoy some of the one foot powder available aplenty:

"I don't understand why your husband wants so badly to go in the powder right now. Judging by the turns he made through the whole run, it must be hard to experience as much pleasure in powder."

Mind you, he's a skier so can't understand what it's like to float other one foot of freshy, but coming from someone I rate as a good carver, I took it as some sort of compliment...:) But considering what some of you can do, it also made me want to redirect him to real carving video material rather than watching me trying to emulate what you do on a setup more suited to powder cruising.

A couple weeks ago at Targhee, 2 tweenage girls who looked to be racers are in line ahead of us. Girl #1 asked BigDogDave and me "Are those Kesslers?" Girl #2 stage whispers to her "Those aren't Kesslers. Kesslers are bigger." BDD answers that both our boards are Coilers. Girl #2 "See? I told you - Kesslers are bigger!" Too bad Crackaddict wasn't there with his Coiler Mega-Classic to confuse the size issue! :D

At least they weren't asking if we like this better than snowboarding. :rolleyes:

A couple weeks ago at Targhee, 2 tweenage girls who looked to be racers are in line ahead of us. Girl #1 asked BigDogDave and me "Are those Kesslers?" Girl #2 stage whispers to her "Those aren't Kesslers. Kesslers are bigger." BDD answers that both our boards are Coilers. Girl #2 "See? I told you - Kesslers are bigger!" Too bad Crackaddict wasn't there with his Coiler Mega-Classic to confuse the size issue! :D

At least they weren't asking if we like this better than snowboarding. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm just impressed they knew what Kesslers were! AND they were girls!! YIPPPPPEEEEE :D

Hey, I'm just impressed they knew what Kesslers were! AND they were girls!! YIPPPPPEEEEE :D

Michelle, I totally agree! It was a very surprising/impressive comment coming from 2 young skier girls! :biggthump But it was kind of funny to be snubbed because we were *just* riding Coilers. :rolleyes:

This thread is hysterical. I am brand new to carving but started texting people from the mountain the funny stuff I heard as I was riding alone and didn't want to forget it. Every day I get something hilarious.

One little lady on a freestyle board with her instructor yells out "Oh my God! What HAPPENED to her board?!" Instructor looks at her in silence for a moment and replies "Uuuuuuuh. That's an alpine board."

As far as all the girl comments, I have been told I am the only girl carving in Bend (Mt. Bachelor) right now. Is this really true?! There have got to be more of you out there...

As far as all the girl comments, I have been told I am the only girl carving in Bend (Mt. Bachelor) right now. Is this really true?! There have got to be more of you out there...
Heroschmero's wife also carves in OR

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=3376

Not sure about others.

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34092

Plan for it to happen next season!

I can't find the photo of Etsu with the Big Kahuna (a 232 cm custom Tinkler), but there's at least one other woman carving in Bend.

On the way up, on the chair:

Ski Lady: "You've got telemark board"

Me: "Alpine board / carving board / race board"

Ski Lady: "Ah, so many different ones. Is it better?"

Me: "More control and power."

Ski Lady: "But is it allowed in the Olympics?"

Me: "Yeah, all the racers are on it."

Ski Lady: "And boardercross?"

Me: "Nowadays, with more and more jumps, BX is mostly softboots, I'm on hard boots (showing the boots)"

Ski Lady examining the boots.

Snowboard Lady, on the other side: "But then you are missing the best part of the snbowboarding!"

Me/her: ..... Long and a bit fired up argument ;)

Finished my run, and went into a dead corner of lift lineup rails (in no one's way) to tweek the bindings. The same Ski Lady comes down at full speed and runs over my metal Virus, proceeding to almost crush into the rails.

Me: "WTF?!?"

___

Kinda unrelated... Last run of the day, I was practicing switch caving on bunny hill. In the midle of my toe/switch carve a runaway ski??? hits my board at full speed.

On the way up, on the chair:

Ski Lady: "You've got telemark board"

Me: "Alpine board / carving board / race board"

Ski Lady: "Ah, so many different ones. Is it better?"

Me: "More control and power."

Ski Lady: "But is it allowed in the Olympics?"

Me: "Yeah, all the racers are on it."

Ski Lady: "And boardercross?"

Me: "Nowadays, with more and more jumps, BX is mostly softboots, I'm on hard boots (showing the boots)"

Ski Lady examining the boots.

Snowboard Lady, on the other side: "But then you are missing the best part of the snbowboarding!"

Me/her: ..... Long and a bit fired up argument ;)

Finished my run, and went into a dead corner of lift lineup rails (in no one's way) to tweek the bindings. The same Ski Lady comes down at full speed and runs over my metal Virus, proceeding to almost crush into the rails.

Me: "WTF?!?"

___

Kinda unrelated... Last run of the day, I was practicing switch caving on bunny hill. In the midle of my toe/switch carve a runaway ski??? hits my board at full speed.

Did you have a bullseye on your back that you didn't know about?

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday (Sugarbowl's closing day). On my Kessler (Hangl, OS2).

My buddy (soft boots) and I are riding up with a skier. Skier takes a long look at my board -- leans over the bar and gives it a FULL once over. Skier turns, looks up at me, and asks "are those ski boots?" "No."

I can't find the photo of Etsu with the Big Kahuna (a 232 cm custom Tinkler), but there's at least one other woman carving in Bend.

I can think of at least six ladies that carve at Mt Bachelor.

That photo is not allowed.

Either 222cm, 252cm or 282cm If I recall it was the 252cm which is correctly stated as "The Big Kahuna".

My buddy (soft boots) and I are riding up with a skier. Skier takes a long look at my board -- leans over the bar and gives it a FULL once over. Skier turns, looks up at me, and asks "are those ski boots?" "No."

from the scrutiny and line of enquiry, i'd reckon he was really asking "pretty please sir, can i have a shot?" :biggthump

I get that all the time. Never really thought it was a strange question. Most folks have never seen - or at least never noticed - snowboard hard boots. Aside from the shortened heel, my old boots look identical to a turn-of-the-century Raichle ski boot.

Sweet old asian lady, who went up only for site-seeing: "Why you've got 2 and he's got only one?"

Jokingly I told the sweet lady: I'm bigger then him...so I need two...:ices_ange

Later on the parking lot she wave and still recognize us eventhou we both only on shirts & boxers....;)(while were changing our snowgears)

RT