Note to New Members ×

Virus WorldCup UPM GS Board

Hans

New Board from Frank: the WorldCup UPM GS Board

Specs: length 186 cm , width 19.9 cm parabolic sidecut

Materials used: This ist he latest technology carvon kevlar titanium construction.

Looks like I have to testride this baby to look/feel if it will fit my quiver :cool::eplus2:

post-105-141842322396_thumb.jpg

New Board from Frank: the WorldCup UPM GS Board

Specs: length 186 cm , width 19.9 cm parabolic sidecut

Materials used: This ist he latest technology carvon kevlar titanium construction.

Looks like I have to testride this baby to look/feel if it will fit my quiver :cool::eplus2:

Hans, I saw this or a similar one (not 100% sure) last weekend when I visited Virus. I sure like to try it, as well as the new UFC narrow and Black Death!!!

... and as I said in another post, now is time to make use of the (still) weak(er) EUR (who knows what will happen to the USD or the EUR!)

I believe Virus sells the Worldcup UPM in the US for $1200 shipped as a pre-season special :eek:

Now I am a bit confused :confused: ... I thought Asyms were the way to go?

By the way, there are lots of info on the radii of the Kessler boards on the net. The radii of the production models are even in the catalog this year (2011). No problem there ...

Wintergold, you are absolutely right,the Asyms are still my favourite baby and we sell more and more!

Yes Hans Joerg has the sidecuts in his catalog and as you surely know these boards are produced by Head Ski factory!

The real ones are little bit different I think and there is definately no information for the public or you still believe in Santa Claus

If racers ask for symetrical boards we make them! We are a custom factory and open for all wishes and dreams!

As far as I know the Kessler production boards are made in the Nidecker factory.

Some of the "real" ones are pretty close to the production models. Others are different, because they are made according to riders´ wishes. Of course not everything is public, but you do get enough info on the boards, e.g.

http://www.k-snow.com/kessler/spec.html

Despite the absolute top athletes (and even some of those), a lot of racers on different levels use "production" SGs. The specs of those boards can be found easily. No need to be over secretive in this segment.

Hmm, mostly the given catalogue radius by these sort of boards aren't that important. Overall flex, flexation of the nose area and how the radius is build up over the whole board: with how much or lesser strength, can you influence the radius and turn initiation of these boards. I find these the most interesting to know.

Where is the point with the radii?

There are GS and SL boards. I guess - but that's just a gut feeling - the GS boards have a big sidecut and the SL boards have smaller ones.

My next guess is, you can have any sidecut you want. Especially if a racer goes to order such a board, he will tell exactly for what type of course it should be build for.

I do not believe that any recreational rider really feels a difference +- 1 meter (3 feet) in the scr. There are other factors in the equation that contribute at least as much.

Edit says: Wintergold and Hans, we are on the same page. Agree.

Where is the point with the radii?

There are GS and SL boards. I guess - but that's just a gut feeling - the GS boards have a big sidecut and the SL boards have smaller ones.

My next guess is, you can have any sidecut you want. Especially if a racer goes to order such a board, he will tell exactly for what type of course it should be build for.

I do not believe that any recreational rider really feels a difference +- 1 meter (3 feet) in the scr. There are other factors in the equation that contribute at least as much.

Edit says: Wintergold and Hans, we are on the same page. Agree.

but knowing the specs sure does help you to get a idea of what the board is going to do.

case in point I had a 190 with a 15 meter radial sidecut with no taper or at least very little and then a 182 with something wider I think it was 16 and a ton of taper. guess which board was happier at speed?

both were labeled GS boards............

even if the numbers are not the whole story they are a big part of it.

We've discussed here before about how precisely you quantify flex magnitude and distribution, and there's really no useful no set of numbers which you can use to characterise a board well enough to know it's right for you. You can probably use the stats to exclude some boards from consideration. For example if you're like me and don't like really narrow / long boards, waist width and length are useful.

Radius, taper etc... not a huge issue for me, as I expect a SL board to behave in a particular way: I don't much care how it's achieved in terms of edge engineering. I can see why some people may have different views on that. If I was the competition I'd just measure it anyway, if the board rode well ;-)

It's a bit like trying to characterise Hi-Fi systems with simple metrics... they're sort of useful, but when it comes down to it you have to use your ears.

--

I contacted Virus and they kindly provided the basic stats for the SL boards. Those are enough for me to want to ride the boards, but they're not enough for me to buy one, which requires a test drive.

Like all others, sidecut depth is 18 mm .....calculate!

I think Hans Joerg K. won´t send his infos to anybody ....

Just wondering if it is a similar "PGS" type mega-taper blended increasing radii sort of board, like Kessler. The pic sort of makes it look like it has no taper, but it is hard to tell.

Like Bob Dea said, it's important to know some numbers before buying a board. Geoff says his NSR 185 rides longer and with more stability than his old style 195cm/16m "GS" board.

We've discussed here before about how precisely you quantify flex magnitude and distribution, and there's really no useful no set of numbers which you can use to characterise a board well enough to know it's right for you. You can probably use the stats to exclude some boards from consideration. For example if you're like me and don't like really narrow / long boards, waist width and length are useful.

Radius, taper etc... not a huge issue for me, as I expect a SL board to behave in a particular way: I don't much care how it's achieved in terms of edge engineering. I can see why some people may have different views on that. If I was the competition I'd just measure it anyway, if the board rode well ;-)

It's a bit like trying to characterise Hi-Fi systems with simple metrics... they're sort of useful, but when it comes down to it you have to use your ears.

For those of us who do not have the ability to test boards. The numbers are all we have, so I would say they are VERY important. SL or GS is also, but they just reflect the sidecut radius. I realize where you are coming from, but it isn't the same place as me.......

Let me clarify this a little.

Since you used audio. The way I look at SCR is like amp power vs. speaker efficiency. If I am trying to buy speakers to go with my 5 W single ended tube amp, I will not be looking at something with an 85 dB/M efficiency I need something around 100 dB/M. How these sound is something you need to hear to decide, but it will at least tell me what may or may not work for my application.

May I note that Hans' OP contains, I think, the best spelling error-pun I have seen recently? As to Frank's latest technology: it is "carvon..." construction!

Keep in mind that's pronounced "carfon" in Dutch and German! :D

I would immagine that "titanium" is actually titanal, like the ski marketing always does?

Also, it would be nice to know which racers are on these new boards, for the 2010-2011 season?

Let's not get too engaged in the old "are the numbers usefull?" discussion, please.

However, for those who really need to know, the 18mm SC depth (as per Frank, higher in the tread), over estimated 175cm [edit] chord length [/edit] widest-to-widest, the average SCR would be ~21m.

May I note that Hans' OP contains, I think, the best spelling error-pun I have seen recently? As to Frank's latest technology: it is "carvon..." construction!

Please take no offense, Hans.

Of course not, I just have literally quoted the info Frank gave me (copy - paste), so it must be a misstypo. Carbon - Kevlar - Titanal of course.