Note to New Members ×

SUV/Truck shopping

Neil Gendzwill

Being in Canadia, do you have access to vehicle we do not?

Toyota Hi-lux

Land Rover Defenders with diesels

Nissan Patrol

Toyota land cruiser 70 series

These are all REAL trucks in a small package. The land rover is not the same league as the others, but may be an option.

You guys get cool vehicles before we do. These may be worth looking into.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember the old saying "There's no replacement for displacement!". You really should be looking at something like this. This should give you some headroom to spare.
Yeah, we hate those guys around here. Allee can probably relate even more living in Calgary. People drive those heavy-duty duallies to the damn grocery store.

MUD, Land Rovers and Land Cruisers are both well out of my snack bracket. The Patrol and Hi-lux aren't sold here, haven't actually even heard of them.

Shawndoggy right now it would probably be mostly flat towing with occasional mountain stuff, but eventually we would hope to do a lot of driving everywhere. Of course by then we might be into a different vehicle again.

MUD, Land Rovers and Land Cruisers are both well out of my snack bracket. The Patrol and Hi-lux aren't sold here, haven't actually even heard of them.

Oh well, They are out of my range as well....:(

It was worth a shot. AWESOME vehicles. Very popular in Africa and Australia.

I spoke to Steve about his Tacoma today (you remember the haul vehicle for you guys for NES last year). He was saying that he's just bought a trailer the same size as you're looking at - 4500 unladen, and he guesses 6000 laden, and he uses the Tacoma to tow it. His is the TRD outfitted version, which has the tow upgrades installed as standard.

He towed his trailer through to Fairmont from Calgary last weekend, and his impression was that it was marginal. If you're not planning on towing every weekend, and not for hours, the Tacoma will be OK - not great - but it does the job. He did say the fuel efficiency towing uphill was truly awful.:)

His take was - how much towing do you do vs how much driving do you do - and then you'd have your answer as to whether the Tacoma's a fit. It's rated in TRD guise at 6500.

A guy we ride with uses a 4runner to haul a car to the track, it's a Z3. With a trailer it has got to be a pretty good load. He really likes the way it behaves.

I Don't mean to poop poop your ideas, BUT. Rule of thumb for long haul of a trailer with a vehicle I have always heard half of rated..... Anything above that and the vehicle is working HARD! OK for a weekend camping trip, but I wouldn't take it through the Rockies.

I don't have any suggestions that you would like, sorry.

I am assuming this is me you are talking about. :biggthump

I have towed my track car BMW Z3 M Coupe all over the country with a V6 4Runner. The 4Runner/Taco has some of the best stock brakes you will ever find. It comes all prewired with the 7 pin connector and has a harness all set for electronic brake controls. I was at 5000 pounds with my setup, which is the max for the V6. I didn't worry because I put in an additional tranny cooler and the V8 hitch.

Right now I don't have either of those vehicles but I think I am going to go with a 4 door Taco short box for my next tow vehicle.

Would you get more use out of full hard sided trailer in your area up north? Do the hybrids have heaters?
The hybrids have heaters, A/C, everything you need. They are a full hard-sided trailer with beds that flop out on the ends. They are designed to be light, and you get a lot of living space because of the bed design.

I towed cargo trailers twice last winter with my 08 FJ Cruiser (same chassis and powertrain as the 4Runner) and had favourable results. The second trip from London to Calgary weighed in @ 6200 lbs and the truck is rated for 5000. I didn't have any problems and it handled quite predictably, I just drove it with some caution. Gas wasn't too bad, considering the load and if you aren't towing with it everyweekend you should be fine. Mine was 42K loaded otd with the 4L V6 manual and the only problem I have had so far in 85000km is one broken wheel stud that was broken during a tire rotation. Pm me if you have any specific questions. Oh yeah, the 10s have more hp and less torque as they have VVT on both cams now.

Just my 2 cents....I know nothing about the engineering side of it.

I had an older (1990) 4Runner (V6). It got crappy gas mileage (about 18mpg or so) but I could haul ANYTHING with it. One day the old Bomber truck (and older Ford F150) broke down while coming up the pass to Summit. I had to go and rescue the trailer loaded with aluminum. Pulled it in the 4 Runner no problem, 1/2 way up the pass and down the other side. Have hauled quite the load in the back too. Now I have a Tacoma and love it, but haven't pulled a trailed on it yet. Drives great for everyday stuff, goes off road quite nicely but only seats 2 people comfortable. The other 2 people get to squish into the Xtra cab (not an extended one) but technically it can hold 4 people. Gets between 22 and 25 on the highway.

The Bomber truck that we use to pull trailers loaded with aluminum (when people aren't stealing our chips!!) and all kinds of other stuff to the dump, etc is a Tundra. Haven't had any problems with it, and have had it for a few years now. You'd have to ask Fin the specifics but he uses it for everyday things as well.

PS. all of these vehicles are 4WD - cause we live in the Rockies :)

Buying a used BMW scares me - I've heard too many horror stories about the prices of parts and labour.

possible high cost to maintain .. as with any car these days... the X5 w 4.4 -- which I have had now for 4 years... has been great -- if you look at research on it I think you will find very high in reliability and very few problems.

the best way to buy a used BMW of any model is to get a certified one from BMW dealer... with it you get a better warranty than a new one depending on year... but it goes out to 100k miles.

my 2 cents on what appears to be one of the most solid SUV or SAV - out there.. I have had several other mfg -- the BMW X5 - V8 has been the best so far... BTW -- the 3.0 six model X5 sucks... I would not recommend that guy to anyone...

here is the web site -- search for a low milage 4.4 model X5--- they run around $31K with approx 30,000 miles on it - and Certified by BMW with new warranty... and it is not one of those lousy insurance warranties you get in most places... a true BMW backed warranty at no cost.. it is included...

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/cpo/modelsearch.aspx?enc=/eiUrYOZAxtXbrazY6tfkn/pNQD1A9N8mrEH1nMOD5CN+CC20RsVDJyYaSi3jPOrheIEXwJp6b/RMTlkJFDH0xEp+kV7vIm/QrRHN3hnniiV3mi+OdfmJUzz4yYtqk4H

I'm in Canada. The price for a 2006 model with the 4.4 engine and BMW warranty is typically around $40K here. Unlike other manus, getting a used one cheap out of the US doesn't work because BMW does their level best to make it difficult although inexplicably they do cover US warranty here, not sure about the extended.

I'm in Canada. The price for a 2006 model with the 4.4 engine and BMW warranty is typically around $40K here. Unlike other manus, getting a used one cheap out of the US doesn't work because BMW does their level best to make it difficult although inexplicably they do cover US warranty here, not sure about the extended.

so much for NAFTA Eh?:smashfrea

so much for NAFTA Eh?:smashfrea
NAFTA is fine. To register an imported vehicle, you need to only do a few things. You need a letter from the manu stating all recalls have been done, it needs to be on the list of eligible vehicles and it has to be modified to match Canadian requirements such as daytime running lights and metric dash.

BMW voluntarily took their vehicles off the accepted list and now lets the registrar know about each vehicle by serial number, for which they charge $500. They also charge $350 for the recall clearance letter. Furthermore, they state that the DRL and metric dash changes must be done in their shop, at a cost of $2500 or so. Not to mention the month or so delay in getting the letters done as they drag their feet about it.

Compare that to VW when I imported my R32. The car was already on the allowed list, the clearance letter was a printout from their corporate website for free, and if the US dealer had remembered to enable the DRLs that would have been free, too. I had to pay the local dealer $50 to do it. Also the local dealer has been nothing but supportive with dealing with warranty issues or any other sort of issue on this US-sourced car.

In short, BMW are doing their best to make the process as painful as possible.

I have a Honda Ridgeline. It is the finest vehicle I have ever driven on snowy and icy roads. With the bed cover it is like having a giant oversized trunk. It has towed multiple cars from northern Montana to southeastern Idaho which crosses the continental divide twice with no hesitation or problems. It also fits nicely in a modestly sized garage.

I have had many Subaru's and the Ridgeline AWD system and ABS simply walk all over the Subaru's in snowy and icy conditions.

The big trip last winter was to SES. 3 guys, lots and lots of baggage, 15 snowboards, 9 pairs of boots, and a very comfy ride and sleepy passengers!

There is my 2 cents.

post-3878-141842319632_thumb.jpg

post-3878-141842319634_thumb.jpg

Neil:

I own a 2005 Toyota 4Runner V8 and it's quite possibly the best vehicle I've ever owned. I had the starter go on it last year but that's the only non-maintenance item I've had to fix. The nice thing about the V8 is the fact that it takes regular gas. It will also probably outlast you or me.

It's on a full truck frame, as you know, but it has a very comfortable ride. Power and braking are great. It came standard with a full tow package (trans. oil cooler, hitch) so you know it's made for towing. I tow a 17 foot fibreglass boat and I forget it's attached.

I like the Pilot but it's not a real truck and the towing package is an option.

I'm thinking of selling it because I don't own a cottage or boat anymore. I'm not sure how I'd get it to SK but it would be really cheap. You'd have enough left over in your $40k budget for another car.

HK

Shame, Nissan patrol short-wheel base might have fitted the bill perfectly. Full 4WD, but not so overwhelmingly big and could fit into just about any garage. Fits 4 people quite comfortably (well, at least according to my cousin and his partner).

With 4.2 diesel turbo I could overtake many cars on the mountain road to the ski field. Tow towing capacity is rated 7,700lbs (or 3,500kg metric). Built like a brick, I know quite a few people who ran their patrol without any problem in the past 10 years. For example, my friend has been running his old Patrol (manufactured in 1990) for over 200,000 miles and only had to change the suspension once. And he tows boats. Bloody solid.

The 'supposedly' modern 3.0L diesel engines seem to be plaqued with problems. Good old days... People don't seem to make stuffs to last long these days (well, except for Bomber, of course ;)).

Based on your options....

I would probably go for Toyota. One of my client is a mechanic for emergency breakdown services and according to him, Toyota cars seemed to be the most reliable ones in his 30-plus years of experience in the industry.

I wouldn't touch Jeep unless it's Wrangler.

Hoda Ridgeline would be interesting, too.

How about Mitsubishi Triton? 6,600 lbs towing capacity, the only pickup truck with electric stability control (well, at least in Australia). Mitsubishi is not known for good suspension (you might have to change every 60 or 70,000 miles) but otherwise quite good.

Yeah, I'm leaning hard towards Toyota. The fact that my best buddy is a Toyota master mechanic who's just finishing up setting up his garage to do some after hours work may factor in that just a little bit...

The Ridgeline would be OK except that the looks are definitely a taste I haven't acquired.

Yeah, I'm leaning hard towards Toyota. The fact that my best buddy is a Toyota master mechanic who's just finishing up setting up his garage to do some after hours work may factor in that just a little bit....
That factor alone should make you run out and get any Toyota they are selling. My friend is also a master mechanic and kept my 1990 4Runner going wayyyyy longer than it should have - and it's still going (after I sold it!). Those guys are amazing - schmooze and bribe him with anything because he is a priceless resource!!

Good luck!