Note to New Members ×

Holy Slackline batman.

carvedog

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDTwQGEeGZc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDTwQGEeGZc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Came across this little gem. It blew me away what they are doing. I am trying to set one up for my daughters.

It's 8.5 minutes long but all the action is before the 5 min mark. The screen grab shows a guy right before he tries a double back.

it's actually pretty cool.

I'm always on the lookout for new things to do with the students. I'm a P.E. teacher and gymnastics has been out for a few years but this is coming pretty close to it. The next question is how much would it cost to have a few 5-6 lines for a class.

That looks like people having fun no to low cost. You can't do that in our society today looks dangerous !!!!:eplus2::eplus2::eplus2:

It looks lie it could get expensive.

http://stores.homestead.com/CanaimaOutdoorsStore/-strse-Gibbon-Slackrack/Categories.bok

I just bought some carabiners (is that how you spell it?) and some 1 inch tubular webbing to set up a slackline a few weeks ago but I haven't got around to it yet. The line they are using looks a lot wider. I wonder if it makes it a lot easier.

This is the video that inspired me.

http://vimeo.com/3700379

I gotta set it up in the next few days.

Wow..

This video reminds me of Korean traditional Tightrope Dancing. If I remember correctly, the tightrope dancing was performed around 700 AC and descended to late 19th century. Then the group, Male Traveling Entertainers (Nam-Sa-Dang) to have this tightrope riding as one of their main performance.

The rope is placed 5m above the ground and a performer with a folding fan walks, spins, and jumps on the rope.

I searched the Korean Google and found out that you can still watch the show on weekend in NamSaGol Traditional Village in Seoul.

Check out this video.

Tightrope Dancing

It looks lie it could get expensive.

It could... but doesn't have to. I have the 15m Gibbon Classic, built some A-Frames from lumber I had laying around, and made anchors in my front yard. The anchors are 4' of chain in a 30" hole with a bag of Sacrete each. Not much work and very sturdy! I got some good idea from this page:

http://www.slacklineexpress.com/notrees.htm

Quick pic:

img_0612_124704.jpg

It's much more challenging than I expected -- I love that!

tom.

It could... but doesn't have to. I have the 15m Gibbon Classic, built some A-Frames from lumber I had laying around, and made anchors in my front yard. The anchors are 4' of chain in a 30" hole with a bag of Sacrete each. Not much work and very sturdy! I got some good idea from this page:

http://www.slacklineexpress.com/notrees.htm

Quick pic:

img_0612_124704.jpg

It's much more challenging than I expected -- I love that!

tom.

Nice website Tom. I will look around some more there.

The line you using looks like truckers strap of some kind.

How does that compare to the gibbon stuff or do you know?

I have a couple of straps for tie downs. I might try a short one out of that first. I only use them once or twice a year and then for wood cutting in the fall some....so here comes a slack girls.

Speaking of: Looks like your 'little' one in the back ground. He is not so small now. How old?

How does that compare to the gibbon stuff or do you know?

This actually _is_ the Gibbon slackline -- it's the Classic 15m one. And yes, looks just like the trucker strap, with two differences: it's longer, and it has nice sown loops into the ends, making it very easy and clean to wrap around things. I think I paid $60 at Amazon for it...

Henry is 2 1/2 years old now, and he's growing up quickly! Wish I could slow it down and have more time to enjoy each stage.

Here are some more photos of our setup and Henry on it.

This actually _is_ the Gibbon slackline -- it's the Classic 15m one. And yes, looks just like the trucker strap, with two differences: it's longer, and it has nice sown loops into the ends, making it very easy and clean to wrap around things. I think I paid $60 at Amazon for it...

Henry is 2 1/2 years old now, and he's growing up quickly! Wish I could slow it down and have more time to enjoy each stage.

Here are some more photos of our setup and Henry on it.

Looks like I have my weekend project figured out. Nice to see how you did your anchors too. Pretty stealth.

Handsome little guy. I got Bella on the Middle Fork at three and a half ( low water in the fall ). Seems like you have been SUPing with him? Any mellow rafting or are you waiting a bit?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see Americans and Canadians getting into the slackline thing!

Slacklining has been popular in Europe (not to mean it is HUGELY popular, it isn't...but it has been a growing phenonomen for quite some years now), for a while now. I am glad to see it catching on in America,too.

I've been to Seattle a few times (Thanks Microsoft!!) and that venue in the video looks suspiciously like the Seattle Center. I wonder if it is?

At any rate, I enjoy seeing heathy SLIM teenagers having fun doing things as active and energetic as slacklining!! It is MUCH better for them than just SLACKING at the computer or being a couch-potato!

At first I just assumed this was a video filmed in Europe. Upon closer inspection, I see more likely it was filmed in North America, just based upon the signage at the event.

Eurpopeans often have a misconstrued opinion of Americans as being increasingly "rotund". I always try to convince my friends, after MANY trips to America that this is simply NOT always the case.

This video easily proves my point.

But one question I have never been answered: Why so many obese people in Wal-Mart?? And then you go to Whole Foods stores and it is opposite?