Note to New Members ×

All the Ladies in the House

Steph

Hey alpinegirl,

As far as scope of skill level, I think there will be a good range of abilities. You should not worry at all about being embarassed for your skill level. The whole point of this event is to help each other get to a higher level:) As for Stratton being larger than you're used to, also not a concern. It's not a steep mountain by any means. It has a few good trails w/good pitch. Plenty of beginner and intermediate playgrounds though. I personally promise that there is something there for everyone (wow, is that a risky comment?) You will be fine!

Also, wanted to mention to everyone that a few of the major board manufacturers have been contacted about possible demo equipment. We should have a few things to try out. They seemed very interested in this event. A new, untapped market for them maybe? Either way, we have their support, and maybe some boards.

Again, if you haven't sent me an email to respond, please do so soon!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

embarassment...

i have been on plates off and on since '98 and am honestly more comfortable in hard boots riding through anything (with the exception of super long boards in sketchy conditions), any way, than in softies. it's just that i realize that i am not riding at that high of a level yet even though i have innundated my brain with this stuff ever since i fell in love with snowboarding (i think i was 8 when that happened). i don't know if it's a matter of focus and the time that ends up being invested in teaching beginner lessons and side slipping marathons. i realize that i didn't ride as much as i should have last year. honestly, i spent at least half of the time that i was at the mountain in lessons. that's why i am especially good at flat spins and skidded turns. unfortunately few people give a darn about carving where i work (i was extremely fortunate to have been encouraged to try carving years ago), and most assume that it's easy, hence only one hour out of over 200 hours taught last year was an alpine specific/carve related lesson.

so i am being presented with the freedom to go ride some and i am starting to fear what will happen. i don't know how well my body will hold up (i'm a former shot putter short and stout, here is my handle...). i don't know at what point i will feel like a beginner again. it isn't as though i fear falling. i do it all the time when i work with kids....

to actually carve freely, this will be a most interesting new experience.

didn't mean to call you a beginner, wrong word... but don't worry about whatever your skill level is, this is just for fun and its so great to learn along with all the other women... and we all have things to learn, whether we think we do or not!!!! i have been riding hard boots for 6 years now and really only feel like i made some big improvements last year, and my biggest leap was at ECES last year which was our last big trip, so i definitely still have a ways to go... and all of my major improvements have been thanks to male teachers (my husband dave mostly, but Todd Brown, wherever you are, kicked my butt into laying down turns like i never thought i could)... maybe we can find todd and ask him to give some lessons, he is really good at making it simple and he understands how the female carver rides... i'll see if i can find his email here and see if he's willing. i'll ask him to contact you steph... still working on getting there...

oh, i didn't take offense to anything. the real, valid point that you made (which was later supported by steph) was that we are all gathering to simply have fun, maybe learn something and meet new people. that's why i'm planning to go.

i enjoy learning

and as for stratton being larger than my usual hill. if stratton's vertical rise is truly 2000', then that means it's just about twice the vert of where i normally ride.

still babbling..... i have finals this week, what do you suppose i'd rather be doing?

the name of this event? i think steph casually mentionned it possibly being WES (women's expression session) which is way cool. but my dopey bored side wants to propose EWES (eastern womens expression session) just because i'm a dork.

We have secured two of the top coaches in the area for this event. PSR and John Gilmour have both agreed to be on the hill and available after for some brain picking.

We all could use some help and these guys, both with very different styles, have a lot to offer. No matter what our ability levels are now, I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun and come out of this more stoked on carving than ever.

I'm on the other side of the country (Calgary) but if I have the right airport (Albany NY) it's not too expensive to fly there - can someone confirm for me? If I can get a lift from there (car or bus, doesn't matter) I might have to look into this ...

Alpinegirl, if I came, you wouldn't be the worst chick on the mountain, because that would be me!!!

Hey Allee,

Albany airport is probably the closest airport. If you think you can make it, please send me an email w/your contact info (name and email) and I'll make sure to get you on the list for cheap lift tickets. My email is stephanie@casualracing.com.

FYI ladies - I will be sending out an email to all of you that have responded to me directly w/your contact info. So, if you haven't responded to me yet, please do so. I want to get everyone some event details, and also try to get you all hooked up w/one another if you'd like to team up on hotel.

Probably the best thing I can say at this moment is that it's been snowing at Stratton since sunday night, and they are blowing like crazy. By the time January 6th gets here, the riding should be great!

:)

hey allee, alpinegirl offered to pick me up in albany if i came in that way, so send her an email and maybe you can work out the details... check earlier posts between her and i to see what the deal is...

can i ask how much you are paying from calgary? i'm coming from toronto and being cheap, maybe i'll suck it up and just go!!!!

on whether I can talk my boss into swapping Jan 3 & 4 (when our office is closed) for Jan 5 & 6. Being an accountant sucks at the end of the tax year ...

Flight from Calgary with connex in TO or Chicago was $502 on United and a bit more on Air Canada - but I might go for the Aeroplan miles.

I still need a lift from Albany and somewhere to stay, but I'm sure that will all work out!

Hi ladies,

Many of you are going to need to find lodging at Stratton or surrounding area. If I have your permission, I would be happy to list your names and contact info in the email I'll send next week, so you can all contact each other and figure out accomodations. Will that work?

I need a ride from the airport ...

Alpinegirl, I know you're driving through Albany, is anyone else going that way?

Is there a bus or anything that anyone knows of, that can take me to Stratton or in that directions?

I'm going to book a flight tomorrow but don't want to be stuck in NY!! :confused:

andrea and allee, you will not be stranded in NY. at this point in time i figure that i am probably borrowing a van for this trip (i'm a bit of a gear hog and tend to drag everything short of the kitchen sink with me wherever i go. and yeah, i'll have a cd player that way). so right now, since there have only been 2 folks who have mentionned flying in thus far on the thread, you both are guaranteed a lift from the airport, regardless of if i pick you up or not.

only word of warning is that i'm a music geek and tend to be very controlling of the radio, and i'll have my entire collection of indigo girls with me, perhaps with the exception of the power of two single that has a cover of rockin in the free world on the b-side with k's choice. bring music!!!!

oh yeah, i'm also very sarcastic, but i will do my best to avoid compromising this situation by being a dope. e-mail me for concrete stuff. goonie9742@aol.com

wooo-hoo!!

finally got out on snow this weekend. decent conditions. limited trails and seemingly non-existant grooming. wait, that was due to high traffic. but yeah, right now i am so pumped for stratton in january. my body aches and quite frankly, it hurts to sit down, my shins are bruised (the difference between beat to death reactors and brand new boots with thermoflex liners).....

in all honesty though, who has the stamina to ride hard 3 days in a row. i know that i don't. well, at least not right now. but i am kinda curious as to how some of you folks approach these packed weekends, cause i'm beat.

and who is getting pumped just looking at the forecast?

I get into Albany airport at 4.50pm on Jan 5th and fly out again at 5.25pm on the 9th - does that fit OK with you, Alpinegirl?

Steph, here is my list of requirements for the weekend :

Blue skies and sunshine

No wind

-3C or warmer

Great snow

Awesome company

Lots of apres bad girl behaviour ...

and that I don't fall on my head more than once!

Can't wait to meet all you guys and ride some board together!

Girls, if I had that much control over the weather, I'd have my own mountain that would be strictly devoted to carving!!! But hey, at least we can finally boast that there is snow on the mountain. That's right ladies, winter has arrived! It took a bit longer than usually, but the snow is falling now.

3 weeks and counting.....:D

so..... the person i was kidnapping to take with me to this event had to decline the invite. which in turn leaves me in need of finding someone to room with. i recall vaguely that steph was going to send out an e-mail to all the ladies so we could figure things out among us. but as time passes i am kinda getting a bit antsy and would really like to find someone to room with.

and hey, allee. i sent another e-mail that should arrive by next december or something. but i was wondering if you were planning to ride sunday morning. i'm up for it. and i would like to know so i can e-mail steph with the right number of days.

just getting a bit paranoid about planning.....