Note to New Members ×

All the Ladies in the House

Steph

Guest Marilyn Cambers

Yep, I would like to head east if I can get away for a long weekend. But, I leave for Big Mountain, Montana on Jan 21st and will be heading back on the 29th. :D

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

Marilyn ;)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i'm all for stratton for the first or second week of jan. or blue mountain is good b/c its local, but it is usually so packed on weekends that we avoid it! steph make the plan based on what you know and the women will show!!! i know you all will, now that i have put my faith in you and have committed you!!!!

Definately for Stratton, or anywhere if it's cheap. I know that we can get those same deals that Steph is talking about at Stratton, so the more the merrier. Once we find out the dates we should shoot for that Thursday through Sunday. I'll take care of dinner for a couple of nights and we could probably do a bonfire in our yard.

If it's the week after New Years it's dead there so we'll have the mountain as our playground!!!!

hey guys, this continues to sound great. and yeah, stratton right now is at the head of suggestions based on getting a good deal on tickets and food with cheri (thanks for offering).

my only real issue is with the timing during the week. is there a huge difference between going thursday - sunday as opposed to friday - monday??? i selfishly ask because i know that it will be nearly impossible to get out of work on saturday, and i'd much rather spend 2 days playing than just 1 very tired day on the hill.

oh well, whatever enables the largest number of women to get together and ride works for me. hope you folks with health issues are back on board(s) by then.

hey, this post has dropped to the 3rd page. what gives?? are you all just accepting riding at stratton and having a bonfire at cheri's?? which i don't mind at all.

let's talk dates a bit more. chuck out all concerns and see what happens or something.

sorry, still no snow and i am avoiding some work that i really should be attempting to care about...

Hi Ladies,

Just got back from yet another weekend of meek snow conditions. I think we all need to do a snow dance!

Ok, so here's the deal. We are going to do this at Stratton. Dates are January 6th, 7th & 8th (thursday - saturday). Sunday the 9th is optional. This way we get 2 days of the hill to ourselves. I am able to secure discounted tickets during these days, which will be $20 per ticket, per day. This is a great deal! I need for everyone that is interested, to send me an email w/your full name and contact info. Please get your info to me as soon as you can.

A few other things worth mentioning:

- I've got someone who's willing to take lots of video of us riding. If you've always wanted to watch yourself, here's your chance. This is a great way to improve your technique. We'll be able to watch this after each day

- We may also have 1 or 2 riding clinics being offered during these days. I'm currently in discussion w/a few amazing riders (yes, they are MEN!), that may be able to give us a few hours of their time, along w/some valuable feedback. More details to come...

- Dinner(s) and bonfire at Cheri's house.

If anyone has questions, please feel free to email me direct at stephanie@casualracing.com. I'm really looking forward to this, and hope to hear from many of you.

I will have at least one Madd for the ladies to demo. I wonder if we can find some other toys for this gig. Any suggestions?

The sooner you can let Steph know your coming the better so I can get a count for dinners.

"is the role of women important in the progression of this sport??"

"is it at all possible that a rise in the number of visible female hardbooters would further bring hardbooting back to a "more accepted" place in the snowboarding world??"

absolutely I would wet my pants if it was the girls bringing alpine riding back into the spotlight!!

that would be so revolutionary radically awesome ...

anyway don't forget to send pics and clips to stoked.at :)

"is the role of women important in the progression of this sport??"

"is it at all possible that a rise in the number of visible female hardbooters would further bring hardbooting back to a "more accepted" place in the snowboarding world??"

Yes, of course the role of women is important to the progression of the sport. Just as much as the men, I think! However, when people see a women on the hill riping turns and looking good, they may say to themselves, "well hell, if SHE can do it, so can I". Honestly, at this point, the more people in general that are seen on the mountains riding alpine, will help lead to a constant progression in the sport. Let's face it, alpine is a small niche market. Not sure where everyone else rides, but I've seen many new faces riding alpine over the past few years at Stratton alone, women included. I am asked on a regular basis about my equipment when I'm riding the lifts. I've even had people stop me on the hill to ask what the heck is on my feet! I love it and I get excited telling people about it. I even go as far as telling them where they can rent the equipment to try it! The more people I can touch with this topic the better.:)...just my two cents.

So the location and dates have been set, and I really want this post to stay on the first page of the community. There are about 10 of you that have said you're definately coming. I'd really like to have a head count by December 30th at the latest. Please remember that I'm trying to secure tickets for everyone that wants to come (ladies).

For the girls that are coming, can't wait to ride with you all. I'm really looking forward to this :cool:

I did some calling and it looks like about $40per person per night is the norm. This would be based on two in a room. A third person is an additional charge of between $5 and $15. Some places I called:

Within 5 miles of my house:

Olympia Motor Lodge 802/362-4764

Palmer House 802/362-3600

On the way to Stratton (from my house):

The Carriage House Motel 802/362-1706

(this one had a 10% discount for AAA members or a 20% discount if you stayed 3nights)

On Stratton Mountain

Lift line lodge 1800 Stratton

**Some of you might want to make the drive to Stratton from Manchester in the morning (about 20-25min) so that your closer to your room when you leave my house the night before, so I offered these as possible options.

If you stay at Stratton, then you will have to make the drive to Stratton at night but you'll be there first in the morning.

I personally would prefer to drive to Stratton in the am. Either way, it's an easy drive.

Let me know if I can help out, if anyone needs phone #'s, etc.

Cheri

Hi ladies, just wondering who is coming so far? also, anyone coming from canada (ontario) and want some company in the car? i am most likely not going to be able to make it unless i can get a ride with someone or i can get a super cheap flight to albany... but it's not looking good so far... i may be a last minute joiner though if dave is available to drive down with me, but i won't know that until the last minute... steph i'll email you to discuss a few other possibilities... i'm assuming you guys were away this weekend when i called... how was the snow?

andrea

hey andrea, what is your actual travel related situation?? lack of a vehicle, sick sled dogs, blah blah blah....

if you just happened to miraculously secure a cheap flight to albany i could probably pick you up since i absolutely must drive through albany on the way to stratton anyway. besides, i want to see how much gear can fit in the back of my car (and people) so that i can eventually justify buying a "coffin."

and hey, what's the scope of skill levels that we'll have riding?

for instance, i know i will be embarassed and have my butt kicked since i am not accustomed to ever being able to really open up and fly down the mountain (but golly geez, i am the grand master of teaching skidded turns on this thing while relying on torsional flex to initiate them. that's also why i keep a super short slalom board around). i anticipate having a reality check this weekend, and should know where i'm at on monday (and then there's the reality of stratton being a lot larger than anything i've ever ridden so i anticipate dying). but amidst great anticipation is this anxiety. something like a fear that i will somehow be exposed as a fraud of an alpine boarder and need to hang up my boots.

also, thanks for the suggestions for places to stay. as soon as i talk to my boss about this i'll have a better idea of what days i'll be joining you all.

ok, here's my deal... i'm an american living in canada with my hubby and since i am not an official resident of canada yet i can't take his car across the border without him! he has planned to be away that week, but his plans can always change, so he may be able to come at the last minute... in the meantime i am checking out all my travel options and if i can find a cheap flight to albany i will definitely take you up on the ride offer b/c that will save me about $175... i'll let you know what i can find if you keep me posted about your plans... email me at davesgirl@mailblocks.com to figure stuff out.... do you also have place to stay yet? i haven't even looked yet b/c i'm not sure if can make it... i would be willing to share a room though if you need a roomie...

as for skill level and embarssing yourself... i am guessing that it will be all different levels and that we are all there to make friends and learn from each other... it's not a competition so whatever your skill is you can only improve!!!! don't be shy, we're all friends here, and we have all been beginners at one time or another (some of us may be perpetually!!!)... so let's talk and thanks again for the offer, i may be able to do this...