Note to New Members ×

Getting back to carving...

icecarver

Been away from the scene for a few years due to moving and family and what not. My last alpine deck was a Burton 6.0 Asym when I was 16. I just scored some Burton wind boots on ebay for $37. I know they're probably not the best thing in the world but the budget it tight and the price was right. I'm looking at a Rossignol Race VAS 173. It's old enough to have the flourecent yellow bottom but it looks to be in good shape. Seller is asking $100 w/bindings. Can anyone tell me anything about this board? I'm 6'1", 160lbs, and I wear an 8.5 shoe. I ride northern Maine so it's mostly groomed ice(though this season I got to go twice and the conditions were great). I asked the sellet what he waist width was and they responded with 9.25 inches so I'd say they're not a rider. Any info on this would be great.

Bob

<><

That Rossi you are looking at is probably older then the asym you rode last. I'd suggest passing on the Rossi, saving up over the summer and get something a bit more up to date. No need to buy a 15 year old board this time of year, unless it has some sort of personal meaning to you.

The wind boots are not that bad, as long as they fit properly.

That Rossi is definitelly better to avoid. It has drilled in bindings, not the 4x4 insert pattern. Aslo, it is a bit too wide for your boot size. (I have one hanging on my wall).

Nothing wrong with Burton Winds...

As for the EC, get yourself any modern metal used board that's built fo your weight or a bit lighter rider. If you found a wider model, it would be better, but not an absolute must. In my avatar I EC on a Prior WCRM 173, regular 19.5 waist... I loved the Coiler AMT 172 too.

Both are more versatile then Swoard.

If those are too much money, there are tons of good used glass boards, that are less then 10 uears old, for really good price.

Glad I asked. Thanks guys. Looking to go the EC route since the places I ride are pretty much groomed. What board, other than a Swoard($$$), would fit the bill for that?

Check Bruce for wider VSR or NSR, he has made those and both looks to be killer choice for EC type carves. If you look for EC type carves dont go under 21cm center wide if your boot is less than 26 mondo

Where are you going to ride? Why do you think because the place is groomed that you have to go the EC route? Is this something you read?

No "have to", I want to :biggthump. Watched some vids and it looks like a blast so I'd like a setup that is able to accomidate such a style. I realize the setup is usually only as good as the person riding it but I think the right equipment helps. But, like most, I'm on a budget.

The mountains I have available to me are Mt Jeffereson, Big Rock, Saddleback, or Sugarloaf(only on Maine-day). All are pretty well groomed.

Check Bruce for wider VSR or NSR

Forgive my ignorance. Who's Bruce?

Bob

<><

No "have to", I want to :biggthump. Watched some vids and it looks like a blast so I'd like a setup that is able to accomidate such a style.

EC is an expert level skill. You will fail if you try to learn to carve like this from day 1, especially on icy conditions.

Will someone please give me like $10,000 so I can finally make "the movie"? I shudder to think of how many newbies have been led down the path to bad habits by the EC videos.

No "have to", I want to :biggthump. Watched some vids and it looks like a blast so I'd like a setup that is able to accomidate such a style. I realize the setup is usually only as good as the person riding it but I think the right equipment helps. But, like most, I'm on a budget.

The mountains I have available to me are Mt Jeffereson, Big Rock, Saddleback, or Sugarloaf(only on Maine-day). All are pretty well groomed.

Forgive my ignorance. Who's Bruce?

Bob

<><

Ok to touch on this EC thing a bit. I have spent as much time body dragging as anyone in my earlier days. Two or three pairs of gloves, at least one pair of pants - virtually every winter.

I have to say the more time spent in contact with the snow=more pain.

That is all.

And of course you need to make the movie Jack. Sell the bimmer and make it dammit.

:eplus2:

What kind movie you have planned so cost would be that high? Or du you plan shoot it with Red?

Hehe, well, to really do it right I'd want to hire actual videographers, take a week of unpaid leave from work, and hire a few other riders to do the same.

Erik J

Paul K

GeoffV

~tb

Arcrider

Shred & Helmut

Beckman

T32.....

hmm, better make it $20k ;)

Or du you plan shoot it with Red?

Actually we could shoot it n 1080p with my 5DII. The season finale of House MD was shot on it. It airs May 17, check it out.

And no Kieran, this will not be "carvers gone wild". You'll have to come to an expression session to see that stuff. ;)

I was just wondering your cost plans, and expected reason being using Red :rolleyes:

Unfortunately i dont see valid business case for your case ;)

specially cause world most famous carving films were shoot with much less budget :D You can ask this from Swoard team :)

Been away from the scene for a few years due to moving and family and what not. My last alpine deck was a Burton 6.0 Asym when I was 16. I just scored some Burton wind boots on ebay for $37. I know they're probably not the best thing in the world but the budget it tight and the price was right. I'm looking at a Rossignol Race VAS 173. It's old enough to have the flourecent yellow bottom but it looks to be in good shape. Seller is asking $100 w/bindings. Can anyone tell me anything about this board? I'm 6'1", 160lbs, and I wear an 8.5 shoe. I ride northern Maine so it's mostly groomed ice(though this season I got to go twice and the conditions were great). I asked the sellet what he waist width was and they responded with 9.25 inches so I'd say they're not a rider. Any info on this would be great.

Bob

<><

While I can't help to much on the board thing, I can welcome you! Good to have another Maine rider who knows what ice really is! :D

more like "carvers gone to seed"..

One point about EC: love handles help protect the kidneys and the shortribs, and they seem to dampen out the vibrations and chatter. The board chatter, that is. The edge of the snowboard chatter, I mean....

I think I need to spend a weekend at Hood pretty soon.

Actually we could shoot it n 1080p with my 5DII. The season finale of House MD was shot on it. It airs May 17, check it out.

And no Kieran, this will not be "carvers gone wild". You'll have to come to an expression session to see that stuff. ;)

Go fot it!

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/hdslrs-for-video-beyond-the-hype

Fewer and fewer excuses not to make the "film" of your dreams.

Look forward to the House finale.

BB

EC is an expert level skill. You will fail if you try to learn to carve like this from day 1, especially on icy conditions.

Will someone please give me like $10,000 so I can finally make "the movie"? I shudder to think of how many newbies have been led down the path to bad habits by the EC videos.

OK... need to broaden my view then. I'll obviously have to ride however the conditions dictate. In Maine we don't get too many of those pesky "powder days". So I shouldn't get too hung up on specs or riding styles until I know how I like to ride? Donek Pilot?

NOTE: Got my Burton Wind boots in the mail today... fit like a glove(err.. boot) and are comfortable. Yes, I wore them around the house for a while :ices_ange.

Bob

<><