Note to New Members ×

homemade plate with a twist

vapor

I've been making DIY splitboards for myself for a few years now and have had this concept in the back of my mind for while. With the introduction of the apex plate and abit of time off due to an ankle injury the concept became a reality.

It took about a month to build after hours at work and finished up the week before the hill closed so just had to tape up the ankle and do some test riding.

First impressions: splitboards are not suppose to carve like this?!!Having the bindings attached to the plate you dont feel the flex in the interface as you do with the voile and the plate absorbed alot of the chatter that was going on while not feeling detached from the feedback that some people say you get riding plate systems.

In my opinion once insert patterns and designs get standardized in the next few years plates will branch out into the freecarve crowd as the advantages you get is truly noticable the first time down.

This pic was snapped a week ago and as you can see the transitions are short as the skiers are just getting the skins off.

post-1414-141842314119_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the world of plates! The transition is happening one rider at a time soon we will be many.Watch for news next from the world down under.:)I've been saying but some don't believe this is going to be that next big step in snowboarding hard or soft boot!!

Vapor,

What is the contraption you have where the chinese hooks are supposed to be? Can I see a closer pic of it? I wondered when/if someone would try a plate system for splitboarding...seems to me you could get the best of both worlds by using a plate like yours.

cheers,

sandy

SVR

Something i came up with to stiffen up the interface when i was using overlaping pucks to locate and stiffen the board halves.

Hey Jon

Hope this pic doesn't make it worse. working around the dynafit toepieces was a pain in the a$$ but worked out in the end. Its still a work in progress and have done prettier work butt ill snap off a few pics and send them to you as well as what i would do different second time around and alterations.

post-1414-141842314149_thumb.jpg

post-1414-141842314152_thumb.jpg

Best piece of vaporware I've ever seen!

Can you explain for us what is happening at each of the points where the plate attaches / rides on the split board below?

I'm guessing at a centre pivot/hinge & at each end the mechanism allows the plate to slide over the surface of the splitboard. It looks quite different from what we've seen on the B. Karl & Apex Composites plates so far.

SunSurfer

Just thinkin' out loud here. You could use two pins as rollers at the Dynafit toe pieces, lock the back of the plate solid, and float the front of the plate on rollers/wear strips. Might be hard to hold open the toe pieces 'till you get the plate in position, but it would be solid when locked down.

I kept the front fixed and the rear slides that is similar to how visit is constructed. Here is a pic of the front attachment, the rear is similar but is sloted.the toepiece isint attached to the plate in any way but it does help to locate the board sections which was an added bonus.

post-1414-141842314156_thumb.jpg

What's the add on weigh you put on the deck?

I felt the weigh difference between 185 board with and without the Hangl Plate. The weigh difference felt it alot worse just walking 10 min to the parking lot after 4-5 hours ridin and you walk up carrying those weigh:eek:?

How complicated to assembly? Again nice work Vapor :biggthump and look forward for the pixs...

Cheers

RT

My soft boot voile setup comes in around 17 pounds climbing weight all on the legs. my 161 arbor with dynafit comes in around 9 and half pounds on the legs and 4 in the pack.

As it stands right now 166 arbor high 9 and 4 and half in the pack.have to give the skiers a bit more of an advantage so they can catch me.

Looking at running titanium axles to strengthen an lighten it up abit.

It's pretty much a jigsaw puzzle to put together but no harder than what i do 8 hours a day

... It looks quite different from what we've seen on the B. Karl & Apex Composites plates so far.

I disagree that this is different. I'd have to say that the fundamental system of the plate attach to the board, both front and rear seem near identical to the Apex Composites system, just implemented in a cost effective brute force fashion rather than a "spend whatever it takes to reduce weight and win races" approach.

just my $0.02

Lighten up BJ.

At the time I wrote that I wasn't sure how the plate system worked, hence my question to Vapor which you did not quote.

Vapor's subsequent posts & photos show that the plate attachments at each end have the standard hinge & hinge/slide functions.

I'm still not clear what it is that is protruding through the middle section of the plate, and what, if any, function it serves.

SunSurfer

Sorry, I cannot lighten up. My lot in life is to be an ornery SOB. I will try to be nice, though. :eek: I didn't mean for my comment to be oppressive to you or anyone. Peace?

That thing protruding from the middle of the plate had me stumped for a moment too. The clue is in the reference to Dynafit toe pieces that Jon Dahl makes in post #5. These are the fronts of AT bindings which stay on the board and are used during ascent.

Thanks Bjvircks

I'll now call it the brute force mad scientist 150 dollar ebay experiment.:biggthump

Another pic to clear things up.The rear sliding connection works but i have another idea that is going to work better in keeping snow out of the mechanism.I'm still going to use the aluminum section but machine delrin bushing for the axle as well as machining two long slots instead of four small one and holding it down with a machined delrin section.

post-1414-141842314166_thumb.jpg

I like your solution of making clearance holes in your plate system for the front pivot plate of the Dynafit bindings.... it looks workable and KISS proof from where I sit.

It always frustrates the hell out of me when my Voile slider tracks get jammed up with snow in touring mode, and you have to mess around clearing the insides of the channels to get them to slide back into place. Having the Dynafit binding fixed in place and separate from the riding assembly seems like a viable alternative!

Does snow ever pack out in that location when the board is assembled- enough to cause dramas when you break it down for touring?

Geo

PS. The lucky dice "knobs" on the end of your axle skewers are a nice touch too!