Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

It's official plates are here for recreational users. Was detained by lifties for a period of time saturday april 2nd while ski patrol was called to decide if it was safe for me to use a plate and hardware set up mfg. by myself. Fed them a little BS and said there will be more to come so get on the bandwagon now. Person in charge seemed cool with the idea after i demoed the working of it for her.I guess not everyone has their head up their A$$ when it comes to hard booting.Now lets work on fair lift ticket pricing and truith in advertising and we have a good start. Happy slush riding plate is retired till the fall.:lol::lol:

It's official plates are here for recreational users. Was detained by lifties for a period of time saturday april 2nd while ski patrol was called to decide if it was safe for me to use a plate and hardware set up mfg. by myself.

Interesting, been on a plate of one design or another for many years, I have never been stopped or questioned of it's integrity or safety? Hundreds upon hundreds of days? Photos might help explain?

The real visual difference is that unlike Vist, Hangl or Kildie-flex the plate sits slightly off the board and as such draws your attention. The hardware is attached to the board with 8 screws same as bindings. the plate attaches to hardware again with 8 screws.;)

@wenne - plate looks nice, but a little more details would be interesting :ices_ange. Could you at least post the weight of your construction, as lowrider already asked you to?

Apex Flex Plate Wing - the new version is fixed in the middle and the rest floats ... I have only spent one day on it, but the board/plate combination really rocked!!! :eplus2:

post-7799-141842313139_thumb.jpg

Could something like a double burton channel system be used to offer the advantages of a plate, but without the bulk. Two channels (one each side of the board) with the bindings floating along the channels, having a strap connecting them, that can be anchored at any point in the channels. Some what like a rail ski binding, but with the rails built into the board (and being designed into the flex patern). The bindings would not be so isolated from the deck, but would move as the board is flexed.

Could something like a double burton channel system be used to offer the advantages of a plate, but without the bulk. Two channels (one each side of the board) with the bindings floating along the channels, having a strap connecting them, that can be anchored at any point in the channels. Some what like a rail ski binding, but with the rails built into the board (and being designed into the flex patern). The bindings would not be so isolated from the deck, but would move as the board is flexed.

Like a REV snowboard with the front mounts left loose. Bridged with a plate.

There are clearly two entirely different approaches being taken here, I think it's important to distinguish between the two. These two plate concepts are very different, though they both are obviously beneficial for use in uneven snow.

1. Spread out the point loading of the bindings by using some stiffer material between the bindings and the board. When the board bends, the plate must also bend. Also allow one point along the length to be fixed to the board and the rest to slide fore-aft as the board bends. Example: Vist

2. Suspend the bindings/plate above the board on two pivot points so that the plate does not necessarily bend when the board does. All seen so far have point loads on the board where they attach the pivot points. One of the pivot points is fixed, one must have some allowance to slide fore-aft or the board wouldn't bend. Example: Apex Composites in Canada.

The purpose of Type 1 seems to be to allow the board to bend smoothly without kinks near the feet, forcing the feet/lower legs of the rider to follow the bend of the board. The purpose of Type 2 seems to be to allow the board to bend without tilting the feet/lower legs of the rider, apparently not being concerned with the point loading on the board and the possible 'kink' in it's curvature.

It gets even more confusing that Apex Composites' plate is type 2 while Apex Austria's plate appears to be type 1.

There are clearly two entirely different approaches being taken here, I think it's important to distinguish between the two......

Within Type 2 there are two further different approaches.

A: The rigid B Karl plate with no front extension, the rider of which has just won two World Cup crystal globes.

B: Flex with front extension - e.g. the Apex Composites plate.

Reading Jack Michaud's review of the NSR boards he seems to suggest that the latest Kessler & Coiler metal boards are pretty soft in the nose. Is a front extension of the plate useful to moderate this flexibility once the turn is initiated?

Conversely, B Karl is riding the SG board and doesn't seem to need the front extension to win/place more consistently than any other racer.

Is anyone able to make an informed comparison of the front end softness/stiffness of the SG in relation to Kessler/Coiler?

SunSurfer

This thread count will continue anyway :rolleyes:

But certainly i also like to see weight figures, specially cause in pictures that plate looks very thick so i assume that it is either with wood core or with foam core ;)

And not least cause that construction really looks really professional made one :D

Is your plate solid carbon or carbon wood laminate? stiff or flexable? The hardware i made is 22mm high with the plate another 15mm on top of that.Tough to reduce height without integrating plate and hardware. Not sure if general public would be willing to pay the premium necessary to produce a more compact version. Have you found that riding with a plate on your board it acts like a board with a smaller side cut radius?

Is your plate solid carbon or carbon wood laminate? stiff or flexable? The hardware i made is 22mm high with the plate another 15mm on top of that.Tough to reduce height without integrating plate and hardware. Not sure if general public would be willing to pay the premium necessary to produce a more compact version. Have you found that riding with a plate on your board it acts like a board with a smaller side cut radius?

solid carbon,a little flexable,25mm high with the plate,