Note to New Members ×

New Boardercross Boards

Victory

I was impressed with the size of oxess' sidecut on Buells post. I hadn't realized BX boards were above the magic 10 meter mark. I assume that's why Jack was saying they should be ridden by all "aspiring" carvers. Nothing feels lamer than a sub 8 meter sidecut jibstick once you get some speed going.

If the Victory guy is still lurking could you post a spec chart?

I think I could love a big metal 170 BX with 12 meter sidecut for under a grand...

I never heard any mention of decambered noses...( I assume the kesslers have it? )..do other BX boards embrace this advancement? I tried a short F2 BX years ago ( eliminator maybe?) and it was squirelly and stuffed the nose too easily...

When I finally go metal I think it has to have a decambered nose....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually riding one of the new Prior BX boards. Talking to Dean at Prior prior to purchase, he said these were built like the 2010 WCRM boards. But it has dual side cuts and decambered nose and tail so I guess this makes it very similar to the FLC.

Simon

Is this pretty much the standard? Metal BX with totally modern shapes?

I never heard any mention of decambered noses...( I assume the kesslers have it? )..do other BX boards embrace this advancement? I tried a short F2 BX years ago ( eliminator maybe?) and it was squirelly and stuffed the nose too easily...

When I finally go metal I think it has to have a decambered nose....

I am pretty sure decamber is a necessary part of the super long effective edge relative to the overall length design.

I never heard any mention of decambered noses...( I assume the kesslers have it? )..do other BX boards embrace this advancement?

There is no reason not to. The decambered nose (and/or tail) gives you more maneuverability for a given length.

Not all are metal however (Oxess, Donek).

I'm actually riding one of the new Prior BX boards. Talking to Dean at Prior prior to purchase, he said these were built like the 2010 WCRM boards. But it has dual side cuts and decambered nose and tail so I guess this makes it very similar to the FLC.

Simon

oooh, that sounds like a fun plank...

... do people say "who?"=unknown

hi DIVEBOMBER

i remember people were asking about JASON BROZ on bomberonline about 10 years ago and back then the responses were all positive. since you are in the BIKE BUSINESS you may feel more assurance getting information from bomberonline member DAVID KIRK. i remember DAVID KIRK specifically asking about JASON BROZ on that thread about 10 years ago.

I am riding the 158 lunchtray and it rides like its 175+ 11.5 meter sidecut

ITs basically an inch narrower one off of the oxxess BX.

I would heartily endorse it as perhaps THE allmountain board. I get lots of comments on it and I always answer with " This is the future " I said in another thread that, after watching the Olympic BXers going down on that chopped up banked left turn during qualifiers, its to bad they don't have Alpine roots in their technique and my setup. I ride mine with catek freeride 2's at about 60 degrees. Just getting their mass/ass over the board instead of the old drop a doogie duck heelside would have kept the majority of them from going down and most would have come out of the corner as fast or faster than going in.

(flamer disclaimer- the board the alpine technique and the bindings are olympic quality. I said nothing about my big butt or my personal skills)

I can however ride this board anywhere. I switch to a large swallowtail on heavy powder days for obvious reasons. Otherwise groomer to crud to moguls to several inches of fresh this board is what softbooters everywhere should be riding.

It also rides well with plates! Props to the voices in Shred's head for the design and to coiler for a great board:biggthump

Hey - I don't want to seem rude butting in on your thread, but since you guys know all about BX boards, I thought maybe you wouldn't mind making a recommendation for my son

He's 14 yrs, 120lbs and about 5ft high, racing BX in the USASA competitions. He is great getting out of the gate first, but the board he's riding can't compete on the course.

Thanks!

Oh if I only had the time!

Actually on my to do list to make up a BX ish board as I have data to support the build already in place. I agree that going too high on the sidecut (like 14ish )which I have heard is what the top riders use would be a bit much for a normal days riding. I would assume on the BX course you inspect it and you know there will be no surprises so its full speed ahead. Not typically what you get on your local hill.

I would think something in the 10.5 to 12m range max and VSR would be a good test. Anyone want to try one:biggthump

Lets sort out some solid dimensions and I may have time to get a test board made up

With no metal in stock, you may see a 158 Madd tribute in glass by next week. Complete with carbon Bfly!!

Currently working on a higher camber press base to get it to proper spec

BV

My metal supply is just leaving Austria so I should be back to building in about a weeks time.

Why would that be Jack? I don't see BX boards as specifically designed to carve with softies on groomers. There's usually only 4 or 5 carved turns on a BX course, and they are drawn out AND banked.

They basically seem, to me, to be designed with a long effective edge and large sidecut radius (by softboot standards) in as compact a size as possible to combine good edge hold in those long banks, stability at speed, and manoeuverability in the bumps, jumps, hips, and rollers.

For me, 12 - 14m sidecuts are not fun to carve on groomers in softboots. But I'm sure they are great with the levarage of hardboots and can't wait to give it a try next season. :biggthump

I have to agree with this... for instance The Kessler BX boards are great/amazing for highspeed skids or drawn out turns but don't have the "effortless carvability" of a freecarver- this is not to detract from them...they are amazing and I have made some descents down familiar ..somewhat choppy... slopes faster on these than any other deck.

I rode the Both Kessler BX's (163cm +168cm) and found that the in air stability was stunning... just amazing, and that the ability to skid at very high speeds in soft boots was also pretty amazing. They also have an extremely fast flex profile while gliding flat...

I wanted less of a pure BX racing deck and a little more blend of freecarve in it for more versatility for my type of riding so I spec'd a 166cm which I thought might be nice.

I think the F2 Eliminators of years go were more like freecarvers..stiff ones...

I would think something in the 10.5 to 12m range max and VSR would be a good test. Anyone want to try one

BV

I guess I'll have to prove that wrong again and go against all conventional wisdom and knowledge and thinking..

Going with a 16... with 1?.5m.. should carve great at high speeds.. and short enough to pop around on.. will see..

Is mine ready yet BV...:ices_ange

149cm 9/16/13 side cut...

RSS

Oh if I only had the time!

Actually on my to do list to make up a BX ish board as I have data to support the build already in place. I agree that going too high on the sidecut (like 14ish )which I have heard is what the top riders use would be a bit much for a normal days riding. I would assume on the BX course you inspect it and you know there will be no surprises so its full speed ahead. Not typically what you get on your local hill.

I would think something in the 10.5 to 12m range max and VSR would be a good test. Anyone want to try one:biggthump

Lets sort out some solid dimensions and I may have time to get a test board made up

With no metal in stock, you may see a 158 Madd tribute in glass by next week. Complete with carbon Bfly!!

Currently working on a higher camber press base to get it to proper spec

BV

My metal supply is just leaving Austria but I should be back to building in about a weeks time.

Bruce... one thing we never did....which we should have... is provide a "tuning sheet" which is the rest of the carbon butterfly cut out... that way when you grind the boards you don't get extra pressure over the rails....because the tuning wheels of the grinders- with the exception of the Montana 3 wheel machine... don't do well with 3D topsheets. The rest of the cutout would make the grinder see the board as "flat". We made some dense foam cutouts to try to eliminate this weird grinding.

Also if you make the butterfly top sheet... if you like...make it about 1-1.5 inches longer over the nose...as now the skill level in the riders who buy these things would like an even more aggressive snappier deck. I rode a few of the extended butterfly 158's and preferred them as did Anton Pogue. the tail is just fine...making it longer on the tail would make carves harder to release...

If you want I could send you an original Madd 158 to compare for flex/camber

Bruce... one thing we never did....which we should have... is provide a "tuning sheet" which is the rest of the carbon butterfly cut out... that way when you grind the boards you don't get extra pressure over the rails....because the tuning wheels of the grinders- with the exception of the Montana 3 wheel machine... don't do well with 3D topsheets. The rest of the cutout would make the grinder see the board as "flat". We made some dense foam cutouts to try to eliminate this weird grinding.

Also if you make the butterfly top sheet... if you like...make it about 1-1.5 inches longer over the nose...as now the skill level in the riders who buy these things would like an even more aggressive snappier deck. I rode a few of the extended butterfly 158's and preferred them as did Anton Pogue. the tail is just fine...making it longer on the tail would make carves harder to release...

If you want I could send you an original Madd 158 to compare for flex/camber

My sander does OK with different level tops so no real worries there. Lots of other stuff to make decisions on first. I have a 158 but it was a later version and not an original. No butterfly on it as I tossed that out a while back during a shop clean up. However, the butterfly will have to work in conjunction with the core thickness which is now what I am trying to decide on. Can't bring myself to copy it as close as possible as I rode an original and didn't like pressuring the nose that much. The core I have looks like its about 6mm all through the middle right up to 10" of the ends and then it tapers down. Looks like they just used a 1/4" core and tapered only those last 10" as it is perfectly same thickness in the mid right up to that point.

Some of the boards I have checked out had the butterfly 6 or 7" off the nose and 4" off tail. Sound about right?

Still a long way to go and surely first one will be a bit whacky but you have to start somewhere.

While testing boards a few days ago on real hard ice under an inch or two of softer stuff, I found the boards which worked best were either:

Real short effective with tight sidecuts ( my Angrry worked best on that day)

or Longer boards with sidecuts in the 14+ range. Seems the mid length tighter sidecut models would bounce on the ice as tip and tail being longer needed more pressuring to settle them down which you could not do on the harder sections of snow/ice

So methinks short is the way to go, hell, hockey skates grip like crazy on ice and they're pretty short;)

Any idea what the preferred butterfly construction is?

BV

I guess I'll have to prove that wrong again and go against all conventional wisdom and knowledge and thinking..

Going with a 16... with 1?.5m.. should carve great at high speeds.. and short enough to pop around on.. will see..

If you are on hardboots, the 10.5 to 12 is much less relevant since the hardboots can power the bigger sidecut. For softboots, except for rare individuals, I expect that is the max for freecarving.

Looking forward to the creation Shred.

Hey Bruce! any thoughts on a slightly bigger brother to the x3? I love the lunchtray but wish I had a longer board on really hard groom days or really steep days. I was thinking something in the 168 range with similiar sidecut or maybe the same exponential difference as the 158 -168 jump maybe 12.5-13. has shred built anything that would fit the bill?

Hey Bruce! any thoughts on a slightly bigger brother to the x3? I love the lunchtray but wish I had a longer board on really hard groom days or really steep days. I was thinking something in the 168 range with similiar sidecut or maybe the same exponential difference as the 158 -168 jump maybe 12.5-13. has shred built anything that would fit the bill?

sounds like the 170ish stubby many of us have.

Although it may sound like a schtubby.. there are lots of differences that are done.

The X3 that DR. D has is very close to an Oxess kinda.. .. but better.. its metal for one.. and its 23.5cm wide so it was hard boot capable. although I have rode and wrote a review on a MADD Bx 168 Carbon buttterfly with hard boots.

the flex will be different.. the nose initialtion will be different.. the radius will be different .. lot of variables to deal with.. I would say if you ride soft boots compared to hardboots then you need to think about what you want... for one I would not want to ride a board wider that 23cm waist with hard boots.. thats just me.. but beyond that.. well Im out of my carving stance and then sitting on the toilet for carving.. not really any power in that..

RSS