Note to New Members ×

New Boardercross Boards

Victory

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boris, I don't entirely agree. To get a production BX board with the float I'd expect from an all mountain softie ride, I'd end up with a 12m radius. In my opinion this is way too big for the "playful" behavior that I found desirable.

Playfulness can come from a lot of things, flex, taper, rebound, ability to freely switch between carving and skidding...

Float comes from overall surface, width to length ratio, surface distribution (taper, offset or swally), nose shape (rocker), etc. Modern BXers have plenty of the later 2.

However, the correct answer is that you have to try one to believe it. ;)

Steve, technically any softbooter who isn't spending a lot of time in powder or more than half of their day in the halfpipe should be on a BX board.
Why would that be Jack? I don't see BX boards as specifically designed to carve with softies on groomers. There's usually only 4 or 5 carved turns on a BX course, and they are drawn out AND banked.

They basically seem, to me, to be designed with a long effective edge and large sidecut radius (by softboot standards) in as compact a size as possible to combine good edge hold in those long banks, stability at speed, and manoeuverability in the bumps, jumps, hips, and rollers.

For me, 12 - 14m sidecuts are not fun to carve on groomers in softboots. But I'm sure they are great with the levarage of hardboots and can't wait to give it a try next season. :biggthump

Why would that be Jack? I don't see BX boards as specifically designed to carve with softies on groomers. There's usually only 4 or 5 carved turns on a BX course, and they are drawn out AND banked.

They basically seem, to me, to be designed with a long effective edge and large sidecut radius (by softboot standards) in as compact a size as possible to combine good edge hold in those long banks, stability at speed, and manoeuverability in the bumps, jumps, hips, and rollers.

For me, 12 - 14m sidecuts are not fun to carve on groomers in softboots. But I'm sure they are great with the levarage of hardboots and can't wait to give it a try next season. :biggthump

Not to answer in Jack's place, but the overall construction and design of the BX boards are to hold an edge under more intense forces. They are stiffer, have longer edge contacts, they have more rebound (that's for sure on my Madd BX, that thing is poppy!) and bigger SCR's than the typical freeride board, and are dampend to cut out chatter. Donek made the Razor, but I'd be more interested in trying out their new Sabre after some of the stuff I've heard on here. My Madd only has a 9.2 radius so I may not be speaking for other BX manufactures.

Just a side note. My daughters name is Maddie and she said I should put an "ie" at the end of the "Madd" on the tail of my board.:lol:

Not to answer in Jack's place, but the overall construction and design of the BX boards are to hold an edge under more intense forces. They are stiffer, have longer edge contacts, they have more rebound (that's for sure on my Madd BX, that thing is poppy!) and bigger SCR's than the typical freeride board, and are dampend to cut out chatter. Donek made the Razor, but I'd be more interested in trying out their new Sabre after some of the stuff I've heard on here. My Madd only has a 9.2 radius so I may not be speaking for other BX manufactures.
Yes, that's pretty much what I meant to say, but better :lol: (I suck at trying to translate my french thoughts to english writings at 1AM).

But it seems I was wrong in assuming that most BX boards have larger 12 - 14m sidecuts. Sidecuts in the 9 to 9.5m range with a fairly long effective edge is what I prefer on groomers. I've been riding a shape I designed myself as my main board for the past 10 years. It has a 9.05m sidecut with 144cm effectice edge and 6mm taper. I have it in a couple different flex patterns. I absolutely love it.

hmmm, I dont mean to burst anyone bubble, but you gotta admit that price is a little steep for an unknown.

Bruces metals are by far the best bang for the buck, well not even that, aside from a kessler id go with bruce first for half the price!!

but Priors are about 1200 for custom and Donek 1000, all of those metal.

hmmm, I dont mean to burst anyone bubble, but you gotta admit that price is a little steep for an unknown.

Bruces metals are by far the best bang for the buck, well not even that, aside from a kessler id go with bruce first for half the price!!

but Priors are about 1200 for custom and Donek 1000, all of those metal.

Jason Broz is not an "unknown".

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see that these were made by Broz until now. There's no mention of that earlier in the thread, so there was some reason to be somewhat skeptical.

Good to know though, should be a quality product coming from him!

so youve ridden one of his boards? have you ordered on yet?

when you list you list His name with the likes of kessler, Coiler, prior, Virus, Donek etc etc.... do people say "who?"=unknown

christ, you're such a treat.

This is my impression.

The BX courses and the turns riders make down them on the current BX boards is nothing like the path a carver takes down the slope. The current BX boards have a huge sidecut for freecarving on groomers in softies. You just cannot bend a board in the same way with softboots as hardboots. If you get one with a smaller, roughly 9ish meter (10m if you are a larger rider) sidecut, I bet they are incredible in softies.

I will add that I have not tried one of the new big sidecut BX boards and could be wrong. I have ridden a long effective edge for its length (154cm with a 132 effective edge), 8.5 m sidecut softy carver built with full nose and tail decamber, metal and rubber and the thing rips!

The Madd BX is nothing like the current crop of BX boards.

I was impressed with the size of oxess' sidecut on Buells post. I hadn't realized BX boards were above the magic 10 meter mark. I assume that's why Jack was saying they should be ridden by all "aspiring" carvers. Nothing feels lamer than a sub 8 meter sidecut jibstick once you get some speed going.

If the Victory guy is still lurking could you post a spec chart?

I think I could love a big metal 170 BX with 12 meter sidecut for under a grand...

I was impressed with the size of oxess' sidecut on Buells post. I hadn't realized BX boards were above the magic 10 meter mark. I assume that's why Jack was saying they should be ridden by all "aspiring" carvers. Nothing feels lamer than a sub 8 meter sidecut jibstick once you get some speed going.

If the Victory guy is still lurking could you post a spec chart?

I think I could love a big metal 170 BX with 12 meter sidecut for under a grand...

Coiler or Donek..And Prior if they still make the Black/Fatjack

I'm actually riding one of the new Prior BX boards. Talking to Dean at Prior prior to purchase, he said these were built like the 2010 WCRM boards. But it has dual side cuts and decambered nose and tail so I guess this makes it very similar to the FLC.

Simon