Note to New Members ×

How beaten up you've got in a single day of riding?

BlueB

I'm not talking very serious injuries, so skip the broken bones, etc...

Here's my day at Blackcomb, last Sunaday:

- Morning, comming up the stairs at the ticket office, there's one guy standing in the middle of the stairway, his back to the bottom, about 3' from the side. I thought it was perfectly safe to walk past him. He suddenly waved his hand sideways to show something to his buddy and wacked me into the chin! It was strong enough to move my chin a bit in (pain at the joint by the ears) but not enough to knock me out.

- On a cat track a standing skier waves his stick in front of me, I ducked to go under, but he brought it down to my helmet. Ok, that one didn't hurt...

- I got of the groomed trail in low vis and dropped off a 6' lip into almost flat landing. Amortised the landing as much as I could, but still got strong impact, bottom of my shin into my front knee. Felt like all of my feelings fell out. This was strong enough to leave a lump on my chin.

- Finally, the ugliest one, last run of the day: Comming to almost empty lift lines (ropes to the right, aluminum fence to the left, I glided gently through it and started bending to unclip my rear bail just before I stopped. Suddenly, someone coming in at much greater speed, clipped my tail pushing me into the aluminum fence. As I was already in out of balance position, I crashed right over the fence, taking it down with me. Fist impact was in my elbow, however what really hurt was the foot of the collapsing fence hitting my front knee. It got stuck iun the material of my pants and I found myself helpless, head down, board and front leg up on the fence. I even neede help to get out of that position. The jackass who knocked me over didn't even stop but rushed straight up the chairlift.

Tendon on my knee cap really hurts today :(

Picked up another AC separation(shoulder) on Saturday. First did it in 1990 and have re-injured over time. Xray'd yesterday and clearly a separation, at worst a 2nd degree. Waiting to see the damage and get prognosis. Probably looking at cortizone next and more PT. Checked some speed on the edge of a trail, tried to re-correct and ate it on my toe-side driving my shoulder into the blue ice and bouncing my head. Rode the rest of the day but couldn't fasten my rear TD 2 bail by the end of the day w/o help. Oh....and I've got a 3 day riding w-end this w-end:mad:

Damn, it annoys me when someone hits you and DOESN'T STOP. You've just knocked someone for six, you have to know you've done it, and you don't even stop to apologise? What the hell is wrong with people these days?

If I come off a day at the hill without a bruise or a bone rattling crash, then I count it as a success - or an indication that I'm riding like a girl. Your day just sounds unfortunate - you might want to do a karma check.:)

I had a day at Red Mountain last year like this. The conditions were nasty, and I lost so many edges on the ice that my hips ended up black and blue. I submarined the nose in some off piste cement and gave my knee a nasty twist, and we got lost and decided to come down through a tree run - rocks, ice, stumps. My board got beaten to pieces, and me along with it. There is a video of me crashing from that day ... it looks like someone picked me up from out of frame and threw me, on my back, across the run. I took the hint and hit the hot tub before 2pm. Some days, it just doesn't work for ya ...

OT, but the timing is too suitably ironic to not share my experience in presence of the incidents of getting hit and moving on without a word.

Late last season in the latter half of the ski day, I'm going down one of my favorite runs, and right before a section where the slope turns to a small cattrack, I see a nice, animated lady maybe in her forties that's fallen over with a detached ski next to her and away from her poles a body length or two uphill behind her.

Since, of course, I'm the nicest guy on earth, I pick up the ski poles and hand 'em to her when I get down to her, she jovially thanks me, and I wish her a nice rest of the day before continuing down the cattrack where there's some dude on skis staring at me while I ride down.

As I'm about to pass him, he yells to me: "I sure hope you helped her back up!" (In hindsight, I think he definitely saw that I didn't help her up, but I dunno.) I have to stop right smackdab at the start of the cattrack 'cause I can't hear him over my board running on the snow. "'Scuse me?" I ask. He repeats what he said with some more assertion, and I reply "oh. No. I didn't." His stare turns to a mean mug at some point, and he says "you'd expect that one would help a nice lady up after hitting her.." I say something to the effect of, "You're right, and she really is a pleasant person, but I didn't hit her; I did fetch her ski poles though." He doesn't say anything after that. Being left after the exchange a bit bummed, but not irritated, at the no-momentum at the beginning of the cattrack, I start skating, then take a rest at the end of it. I do notice at one point the couple talking for a few moments before continuing skiing.

When they catch up, the guy humbly apologizes and thanks me for helping her out. I just say "no problem," and they continue on. The lady shoots me a pretty smile; I smile back with my lips and give a quick nod. They ski on, and that's the end of that. Normally I feel bat$h1T introvert-offended when stuff like this happens, but I felt even more calm than I usually do; it must've been the nice lady rubbing off on me. I spend the next few runs contemplating how great the couple might be together and that he was perhaps, in full realization of her warm personality, trying to ensure that his S.O. got the respectful treatment she deserved.

I enjoyed the rest of my day, but in some strange sort of melancholic mindset though, if that makes any sense.

I turned 40 and decided to go for a quickie lesson/rental/lift ticket package deal. Now bear in mind I grew up in VA and had only ever skied like twice in my life. Between the two hour lesson and the three hours I stayed with it after the lesson I lost count of how many times I fell down, slammed my ass, my head, my knees, hit other people, and fell down getting off the lift.

The next morning I felt like some dude beat me up with a baseball bat out behind the woodshed.

How do you know they are a beginner snowboarder? Their first greeting on the mountain is "excuse me, sorry, excuse me". :D

ohhh I don't know. That pic is far more descriptive of the impact, I think.

Let's see.. My third (and incidently, my last) time out this year was/is turning out to be a real bummer. I was thinking that, having ridden my Coiler SLC well enough, it was time to pull out the Virus WCR. 4 runs into it, starting to entertain the idea of laying down a few hard carves around the shadows of the chairs, I dive into it hard, toeside. Dang if that board didnt take a much tighter line than the rest of my body was prepared for, and, *pop*.. some muscle lets go in my back causing total loss of strength on my rear leg. That was Dec. 23rd... and the bastard is STILL buggin' me like it happened last week. I'm hoping it's not a disc...

incidently, when I first picked up the board, the same thing happened, but I pulled a muscle in my neck. :freak3:

I Caught my toeside while slip-sliding down a face in bisquick snow and glare ice. I over compensated for slipping edge, and faceplanted for the first time in atleast 4 years to the best of my memory. I filled my pants with muddy slushy snow......

* and lost ten bux.

I swear I was mugged!

Mustabeen ICEPIRATES*!

arrrrRRRrrrrrrrrgghhhh!

* FTW = http://findmeapirate.com/Pages/Required%20pirates/Images/ice%20pirates.jpg

Mt. Hood around 1994 (on a Kildy 169). Riding down Cascade Express. Really, really bad flat light, white out conditions. We got into a washboard/camel hump area ("up and down, up and down"). I really could not see. On the "up" of one of the washboards, I caught air and landed on the down of the next (or second to next) washboards. I compressed my chest into my knees, whacking my torso so far forward I almost hit my board with my head. Very unpleasant. The weird thing was that I must have completely re-adjusted my insides because I immediately rode to the base and hit the men's room for a serious movement.

I also once - when riding into the lift line - scrubbed speed, reached over to release my back plate and caught my heel edge, slamming backwards to the ground - solid helmet impact. It hurt and, of course, everyone was there to see "that guy on the uniski" bail. Wonderful.

At some point at the end of the day, I take one run too many, I'm tired and have a good crash. Usually knock the wind out of myself and call it a day.

When I was younger, I never let myself heal and I had a lot of problems with my front ankle. I think the tendons got stretched. A couple of times it popped out of joint while I was on the chairlift from the weight of the boot and board. Excruciating pain, I would get to the top and just collapse off the chair because my leg wouldn't support me.

I don't have problems with that ankle now but my other ankle has bugged me since I injured it unicycling.

The jackass who knocked me over didn't even stop but rushed straight up the chairlift.

Tendon on my knee cap really hurts today :(

A few 2nd behind BlueB only saw him stuck upside down, by the time I unbail my self, an asian chap unbail up in the air BlueB binding , help him untangle from the fence and almost chase the wrong guy in yellow suit, good thing BlueB recognize wasn't the jackass. :AR15firin

or an indication that I'm riding like a girl.

And what is wrong with riding like a girl??????

I think mine would have to be the first season I was on a Snowboard at Ski Roundtop, PA the 1988-89 season. I think, even with pads on, my knees were permantly purple that winter. Now, I always laugh when people here in the west call it ice.... ice is the clear stuff you can see through! this is just hardpack.

Speaking of hardpack..... another good one (although luckily not to painful) was up at Big Mountain several years back. Lost an edge on some hard pack early in the morning, started slidding on my a$$ pretty far.... I thought I was going to burn a hole in my pants!

Hey Dave, maybe you got mugged by Bob. :)

LOL.. nah, It happened Saturday, I think Bob was surfing the net at the time, so his alibi is solid (J/K). My buddy Angelo said "mustabeen some black ice yo".... :eek: I chuckled @ the comment because it is mildy racist yet also witty as it was indeed "MLK weekend" in one of the whitest homogenic surroundings possible.

Crap,

I got walloped by a ski racer wannabe today, My shoulder hurts like I've got broken glass in it and my swollen knee won't bend anymore. The frustrating part of this is that, I'm constantly looking uphill, stopping and waiting for people to pass by. I feel.... I've been very careful to try and avoid collisions by not letting them hit me, Sort of like riding a motorcycle as if nobody can see you. Anyway thanks for letting me rant....

I just picked up my new Donek Metal FC and its going to be awhile before it gets used "FxCK"

Last April at Jay Peak.. In the woods and bumps having a great time. All of a sudden my head is on the right side of a tree and my board on the left, chest kissing same tree. Broken ribs or badly bruised ... hurt for months.. Don't remember falling... friend has video

Back in my softboot days I was comin in to the lodge hot. I was stopping on my heelside hard when my toe edge caught a mound of hard enough snow. Perfect superman flat onto my face.

also on my softies I was playing in a field being towed behind a snowmobile. He suggested I try hitting this jump. Ok, whatever, I've jumped enough. Well, I held onto the rope a little long. Perfect superman, flat onto my face.

First week on hardboots, still in ski boots as a matter of fact, cuttin a hard toeside in earlyseason conditions. Hit some granular manmade... HOOK! Perfect INVERTED superman... I remember thinking to myself that I was about 4 feet off the ground, though I don't know why I thought that because I didn't get a chance to see anything happen. Next thing I know I'm on my hands and knees. A friend came down and asked if I was ok. Yeah, I think so... She started laughing and said something to the effect of "good, because that was soo funny! YOU BOUNCED like a RAG DOLL!"

my 1st season in hard boots, (solomon SX91 equipes & K2 TX) steep and deep tree run at Silver Mt, hit a tree with my front leg and found myself on my back hanging from my sideways bent knee with the board trapped in the snow on the other side of the tree. Ended my season in Jan. though I did try to get back on a few times.

20 years later I've started using a brace on my MCL-less knee to support the board on the lift.