Note to New Members ×

do you use your stomp pad?

Call me jack

Do you use your stomp, when getting of a chair lift?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your stomp, when getting of a chair lift?

• yep, always
    • No, never
    • some times. It really depends.

So i noticed this today when i got off the chair lift; that kick a** looking little stomp pad i have, never really gets used. i ride mostly one footed when i get off the chair, as it's easier for me to turn. how ever, if i'm traveling long distances, with one binding in, i'll put my other for down, as long as i'm going straight.

so what do you do? and if you'd like, explain a little bit behind it...

BTW i would consider this to be one of the finer points of alpine snowboarding... :smashfrea

heck ya, I use it!!! and now that it's gone, I really miss it! the sticky goo left from it just doesn't cut it.... everytime I am getting off the chair lift, I think about it, but every afternoon when it's time to head home, I never feel like bringing the board home to attempt to restick it back on.

Oh well, guess I have to live with my laziness then.

And I usually don't teach on that board, but it is apreciated, as well, when trying to help beginners get up the rope tow! Hmmm, guess I also use it while chasing them around the beginner hill too.

I'll often have the rear foot real close to the front, almost hanging there, not really on the board. Sometimes I'm on the stomp pad. The board I ride almost every day didn't have a stomp pad and it was fine, but now and then I'd stick my foot down where a stomp pad might sit and slip off. That deck now has a stomp pad, which comes in handy from time to time.

I also like a stomp pad for clearing snow off the bottom of my boot.

I don't have a stomp pad, but do occasionally put my foot where one would be. I normally just hold my foot up next to my front foot and/or drag it in the snow.

I did find a Dakine spikey stomp pad on the ground at the top of a chairlift over Christmas, though. I might put it on one of my boards, but the bottom has no glue/adhesive on it. Anyone know what I can use to mount it on a board?

I don't have a stomp pad, but do occasionally put my foot where one would be. I normally just hold my foot up next to my front foot and/or drag it in the snow.

I did find a Dakine spikey stomp pad on the ground at the top of a chairlift over Christmas, though. I might put it on one of my boards, but the bottom has no glue/adhesive on it. Anyone know what I can use to mount it on a board?

hot glue gun? basic epoxy?

Never, not at all. Not a single one of my boards has a stomp pad.

To kick the snow off of my heel, I use my bindings. I get serious ice and need to kick hard to get it off. I don't think any stomp pads would put up to the kick I need to give it.

When I was teaching my daughter to snowboard I wouldn't even strap my back foot in. I was always having to hike back up the hill and would ride the whole run one footed. One time when I didn't have my daughter I challenged myself to see how difficult of a run I could do top to bottom with my back foot out. I've done every run at my local hill that way and the greens and a couple blues I did pretty fast. Even rode fakie one footed.

I don't have a stomp pad, but I've been meaning to change that. For years.

If I need my rear foot to stay in one place, such as for a rope tow, I put it on the binding, duck stance.

Getting off the lift, I usually put my rear foot next to my front foot. When I do get around to it, I'll probably put on two stomp pads.

Dakine "Spike" stomp pad. Best stomp pad I have found. Buy them by the dozen. They make perfect sense to me. I like a good looking board as well as the next guy. However, a quick kick and I can step in on the go. So, quickly clearing the snow off SI heals and safe exiting from the chair make it a no brainer. One avoided fall is worth years of stomp pad ownership.

New riders, get one, use it, then decide. Vanity nor peer pressure should not be the basis of your decision making.

Every year this topic comes up. :argue: Perhaps it is time to make it a "Spikey" post? oops , I mean a "Sticky" post :biggthump

When I was teaching my daughter to snowboard I wouldn't even strap my back foot in. I was always having to hike back up the hill and would ride the whole run one footed. One time when I didn't have my daughter I challenged myself to see how difficult of a run I could do top to bottom with my back foot out. I've done every run at my local hill that way and the greens and a couple blues I did pretty fast. Even rode fakie one footed.

see thats what made me notice i don't use it; i had to go a crossed a flat area, and just never put my boot back in once i got to the hill again... just kept my rear leg floating it lala land