Note to New Members ×

Help with powder

SEJ

I don't ride powder, but it looks like that's all we're gonna have while we're up at Tahoe next week. Got a new (to me) 172 AMT and a 179 4WD. Any help, even if it's buy something else, would be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

You lucky soab...

Don't carve, keep your weight back, and swing the back foot freely.

Have fun!

buying a powder board on the cheap and using your hard-plates would work in a pinch, it is going to be too deep to ride anything narrow for the next 10 days it looks like...I have a Rossi 159 Strato Wide you could barrow if you wanted to meet up in Sac or something? Come ride here if you want the best steeps in the Sierras, we are about as far as Mammoth though, so I'd rent something locally and look for the steepest stuff you can find, the cement isn't forecast to lighten up until next Friday ;')

I don't ride powder, but it looks like that's all we're gonna have while we're up at Tahoe next week. Got a new (to me) 172 AMT and a 179 4WD. Any help, even if it's buy something else, would be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

yeah, I don't like alpine boards in pow at all. LOTS of good pow options

taper boards like the fish, snow mullet and malolo

biggish freeriders like tankers 172 through 200. steep waters, skunk ape, grocer, doughboy. rossi half gun, glissades

Hey Scott,

If you can swing it, call RJ and pick up a rockered 172 Tanker. At your size, is will be a great all around powder board and crud buster that will serve you well for a long time. It is a really well designed board for soft snow and it is so easy to ride!

As Wun mentioned, there is also this recent thread. And this thread from a couple of days ago.

Buell

I always bump my stance back in deep snow, keeps the tip up and the back leg from getting burned out.:biggthump

Second this. I keep my Burton Custom wide 167 setup with softies and the bindings way back. Since I started on carve boards I really only use this in the powder. The extra width on this board is perfect on big pow days!

All good tips here. 1-2ft resort pow? Run what you have, set the bindings back and go to it. You'll need a different tool for deep unconsolidated stuff, the rockered 172 Tanker is a good choice if trees are in the mix, 182 a better choice if more open stuff. Lots of Burton Fish boards on craigslist, one 161 NS Summit on there too. You have options...A big swallowtail if you are in the open, but good luck finding anything used! Just find something you can ride without the rear leg burn thing, which means larger, tapered, and/or rockered.

If you're riding a board which isn't already set-back, then setting back your stance is a good idea. I'd not overdo it though - just enough so you're balanced.

Balanced is good, weight on both legs, not just on the back one with a stiff front leg or anything like that, or you'll not ride much.

Speed is your friend: it's harder to ride slowly than it is to ride fast. Similarly steep is good. Flats and shallow slopes are harder to turn up and harder to get up on if you fall.

If you can, ride a piste with powder on it first. That's kind of "half way" to riding powder - you feel the slower response and some of the float, but you still have the support of the base.

WOW! Thanks for all the replies and info. I still have my old Burton Comps and Torque bindings. Is it time for a new softie set up? Haven't ridden softies for probably 14 years.

yes, it was about 12 years ago.

again, lots of great options, don't sweat it too much.

boot wise I like burton ions and drivers but for straight pow most of the modern high end boots are great it comes down to price and what you need for fit

bindings, for pow most everything works as long as it's decent, ride, burton, k2, volkl, nidecker, nitro and many others all make something that will pull freshie duty really well.

tons of GREAT powder board out there see above

bobdea, I should have clarified what I meant. I was thinking of using my old softboots and bindings on a new (to me) softboot board for powder instead of TD2s and Indies.

Not sure what the Indies are like stiffness-wise. Any BTS on them?

If you are driving and have the room, definitely throw in the softies.

I love my Frontier 185 for deep, deep snow. Haven't had much chance to ride the Tanker 192 in the super deep, but wow it was fun in the pow I rode it in and it carved decently on the groom. Light swing weight too for tighter trees and bumps.

I'm sure there are others that perform well too. If it is mixed conditions I think I would still ride HBs. For nothing but two feet plus everywhere maybe soft because it doesn't really matter at that point. I do think if you get mired down in the super deep it might be easier to get out in softies because of more lateral flex to hootchie, skoochie out of it.

I guess the main thing is boot fit. My HBs have molded liners, footbeds etc and fit like a glove so I have more comfort at the end of the day.

Hope you have a blast. Nothing like choking on continuous face shots to get you fired up.

Move your bindings back, set your boots in walk mode and go for it. The 179 4WD is a great powder board. If you want to stop by my condo at Alpine, I could loan you a powder board.

Setting boots in walk mode can be destructive for some boot models. Watch what you say.

hey SEJ. were you able to hit up heavenly? if so, could you give a report? which slopes did you ride for the pow and how did it turn out?

i'll be riding on saturday when the storms are taking a break on my GS board :flamethro probably will to try to ride mott canyon for the first time. i must take my own picture of this sign!

post-5013-141842299267_thumb.jpg

Wun, it's sort of been a frustrating week. As of this morning We've got three half days in at Sierra. Weather's been a bitch. Been running back to Sierra cause it's the most protected, and I know it like the back of my hand. Don't want to get lost in a white out.

Hopefully today will be better, but, it's back to Sierra again.