Note to New Members ×

My day at Keystone with Mountain Watch and Patrol

fin

Was Fin Speeding and Being a Saftey Hazzard in the Clip?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Was Fin Speeding and Being a Saftey Hazzard in the Clip?

• NO: it is obvious from this clip that is not the case. Speed is not an issue here.
    • YES: he is speeding and a hazard to all around him
    • Cannnot tell from this clip

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to carving but I got "3" to say - WTF?!!!!!!

Are they just going crazy out there now. I have hard time to put this together, ski patrol stop you???? Good one.

To me your riding was fine, nothing to fast, nothing to crazy.

As a new hardbooter and still slow I'll have no problem with riders like you around.

I don't see anything that would draw attention as too fast or out of control. The thing that I always watch when riding and from the lifts is how smooth people are. It often seems that it's the people who lack control ( usually they are WAY in the back seat) that are too fast. Yes there are people who are in control that are going faster than they should sometimes, but this is not the case in this video. I am deeply disappointed that there are people out there that feel the need to strong-arm individuals that aren't the cookie cutter norm, especially if there is no real reason for it.

It doesn't seem as though you are remotely going too fast in that situation.

Sounds as though part of the problem is that they are not consistent about what is too fast. I've been places where Slow means exactly that, painfully slow, but it is consistently enforced so you always know what the expectation is. Maybe not the case as Keystone.

Do us 1 favor PLEASE, when you have the meeting bring in your phone and put on the voice recorder, or borrow one that has it. Record the whole thing, Im sure everyone here would Love to hear it.

Hey Bobby, is Colorado a one party or two party consent state? I would be careful about making suggestions like that. :D

Candice My wonderful speed demon of a wife says

"well, moving vs. not moving is faster."

that was the slowest I've seen a carver go and make really nice trenches still

No way was that too fast - just b/c everyone else was just standing there."

The video shows that you are under control, more then 10 feet from anyone and no one is in your direct path.

Note: loveland doesn't have these people that wear yellow that stand in the middle of the runs, and make holes in the snow.

God for bid they do as early season is nothing but racers and carvers! there would be yellow coats hung from the trees!

Thanks for the gear you make, Allowing us to do what we do!

Thou I wonder what it would look like if you actually did carve them all like pillions? hmmm Moving race course?

or calvin says it best!

Fin, as I see it your only problem was waiting for grandpa to snow-plow up to you. how many cups of coffee did it take him to get to you?????????

Yep. When I've had patrol want to "talk" to me I don't acknowledge I heard them and go hard to the bottom and disapear into the crowd, lodge, or parking lot or hop an open lift (whatever suits the moment). Funny thing is I've never had to talk to them.

I've been following this post since Fin started it. First I did not really feel I should chip in being from the other side of the planet and not really understanding this snow patrol thing.... but now that I saw this video I feel that I have to tell you that these snow patrol guys are so pathetic that I think if we had those kind of guys in these countries the only thing that would stop us from burying them under the snow would most probably be the fact that we would be whinningly wallow on the ground.....

I watched Fin's video over and over last night and again this AM. I even viewed it as close to 'frame by frame' as I could in order to more fully evaluate Fin's relative closeness to others on the slopes and to get a feel for the run's congestion or lack of it. Based on what I see in the video there is no cause for MW to be concerned regarding Fin and Ace. I consider Fin's riding very prudent and appropriate for the situation. Based on the video I cannot say anything about Ace's riding, but Fin carries safe speed for the setting, shows rock solid control, he provides suitable space between himself and others, and does NOT ride in a manner that would be considered intimidating or interfering with the considerably less skilled skiers and riders.

Now the question becomes... How fast is 'too fast'? (The fact that the skier in white at the far right of the frame is every bit as fast but seems to suffer no consequences is irrelevant to this specific aspect but important to the broader scope of only Fin getting repremanded.) 'Too Fast' is so subjective and dependant on so many factors such as snow conditions, visability, the specific intended purpose of the run, contures of the run, what is ahead on the run, how crowded the run is, skill levels of everyone, time of day, etc. My perspective is that Fin was not too fast or troublesome to others in those specific conditions.

My take on this is that the 'Barney Fife' of a MW had gotten increasingly pissed off during the course of the day and Fin was an easy, polite target. It really seems to me like MW was spoiling for a fight and Fin didn't have a chance.

Oddly enough the meeting went great but at the same time horrible. I’ll explain that in Part 2.

Coming next: “Part 2: The Meeting with Ski Patrol and Mountain Watch Supervisors” or what I call “Guess Who Missed Anger Management Class at the Start of the Season”.

Man, I just cannot wait to watch the next episode!!! MW :nono: Patrol:freak3: Fin:ices_ange:eek::confused: Managers:AR15firin:ices_ange us:(:barf:

The video clearly shows that Fin is not going fast and is giving wide berth to everyone on the slope. He also slows way down to pass through the congested area at the signs. I have ridden with Fin and know him to be an extremely considerate person and rider (as I believe the video demonstrates).

The skier on the right is going about the same speed, if not faster at times, and seems to get through without consequence. I expect that is the typical "slow" speed for an expert skier / boarder on that run unless it gets more crowded.

"but they are there for “your safety” because in the good old USA we don’t educate people we police them."

too true

Fin, stick to your guns, show'em the vid & if they don't recant the warning unleash a smear campaign.

Last year at Schwietzer a yellow jacket on the beginner run saw me deftly carving around a couple clusters of novices and started waving frantically at me to slow down, so 20 yrds in front of him I carved into a buttered spin checking 90% of a reasonable speed, buttered another low speed spin the opposite direction and proceeded to carve painfully slow c turns punctuated with spins right on past him, but this made him smile as the gapers caught up to me and I opened it up again. I love it here:biggthump

Coming back to the subject now I really want to know how the story evolved. I mean the meeting with Keystone Resort people. This whole thing sounds so absurd and weird to me that it is hard for me to imagine how such a conversation could go. Maybe like this.

[Fin] Dear Sir I'd like to file an appeal with regards to my getting a written warning on the mountain for speeding.

[divine voice like Sean Connery] Son, you are lucky that you were not executed right on the spot. Death penalty for speeding is what you should have got. Appeal rejected. Case closed. Next one please.

[Fin] But I have proof evidence.... a video!

[divine voice like Sean Connery but mumbling] Oh my gush... an other hardbooter smartass...

Look son, a ski industry veteran saw you coming down with the speed of light endangering all mankind... this is outrageous and has to be retaliated immediately. Guards!

[Fin ]But I'm innocent, I'm innocent, I'm innn..... [guards come in and take him away in handcuffs]

[divine voice like Sean Connery] The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

:AR15firin :AR15firin :AR15firin