Note to New Members ×

softboot bindings for carving

teach

I'm looking for advice/opinions on Ride softboot bindings for carving. I have two pairs I bought at the end of last year and am considering using or selling: SPI and CAD. I use Burton C60s on my main board (arbor crossbow 166); all the other bindings I've used are much older Burton Customs or similar. I have size 13 boots (Northwave Decade) and am about 190 lbs. The CAD sounded good because of the tilt adjustments, but looking at it I'm not so sure. Advice?

I understand Nidecker 900s are the way to go. I *almost* found some last year.

Since this is the Bomber forum, I have to say I just got a hardboot setup (with TD3s) and am going to try it out tomorrow or the next day.

I'm looking for advice/opinions on Ride softboot bindings for carving. I have two pairs I bought at the end of last year and am considering using or selling: SPI and CAD. I use Burton C60s on my main board (arbor crossbow 166); all the other bindings I've used are much older Burton Customs or similar. I have size 13 boots (Northwave Decade) and am about 190 lbs. The CAD sounded good because of the tilt adjustments, but looking at it I'm not so sure. Advice?

I understand Nidecker 900s are the way to go. I *almost* found some last year.

Since this is the Bomber forum, I have to say I just got a hardboot setup (with TD3s) and am going to try it out tomorrow or the next day.

nidecker 900s are alright, not leaps and bounds ahead of the ride bindings though and the ride bindings are easier on my ankles

the burton stuff is good as well.

I have a rad air reto lamm if you'd take that as a trade for a set of your bindings.

I just upgraded from the RIDE CAD bindings to the CATEK FR2 Pros. I loved my Rides and had two great seasons on them. I am 215 lbs and 6'-2" and am really hard on my bindings. I bent the heelcup at the end of last season due to pressure from the highback. Ride covered it under warranty, but I wanted to check out the Cateks. I only have three days on the Cateks and it took me a full day just to dial them in, but I love them already. Very easy to adjust and much more damp and responsive than the Rides. The body also appears very durable although I had an issue with my ankle strap already (they are used). I have ridden many other bindings and aside from the FR2's I have found no other binding comparable for freeriding. If you just bought the rides I would try them out unless you can step up to the Cateks. The Cateks are definitely worth the extra coin. I do miss the convertible toe strap though and am going to stick a set on the Cateks for the ultimate soft carving binding.

Ya, Flow are the way to go. I don't like sitting on my ass to do up my bindings and I don't like taking too much time strapping my boot in either. Tons of support and adjustment. No pain on your feet. The Flows are mint.

Just curious about the flows because I did some searches on them and I saw a lot of complaints about broken parts. Is that an old issue that has been resolved?

Just curious about the flows because I did some searches on them and I saw a lot of complaints about broken parts. Is that an old issue that has been resolved?

it seems to be, but there are are better binding with the same type of entry that supposedly work better.

I have a set that I've been on all of once and let me tell you they're no better than any other binding I've used of the same vintage. amp 5s are the ones I have. I had ridden them WAY back and hated them but these are better than the ones I hated. one thing that can't be denied is they are not as painful as strap bindings.

people who tout them for carvability I'd really like to know what they are referencing against.

I like most Ride bindings, burton, catek, nidecker 800 and 900s and a few others better.

I'd like to try out their top end bindings but by design I think they won't be that much better. could be wrong though.

I dislike Flow bindings because they can be difficult to adjust to your boot and do not always give the same tension and hold depending on how you tie/lace your boots and also the shape of boots vary between companies.

I have a set of RIDE Betas and I like them. I found however, that the Rossignol HC3000 is one of my all time faves and is super responsive with just the right amount of flex. TRANSWORLD also rated them one of the top 10 bindings of the year if memory serves from the buyers guide I have lying around somewhere.

http://www.evogear.com/snowboard-bindings/rossignol-hc3000-binding-2009.aspx

I have 4 pair of a few makes of both entry level and high end rozzi bindings and they are all tough as nails and super comfortable. I don't care for "toe-caps" as they tend to come off the boots when we carve hard, so the "over the toe" straps work good.

The K2 Formula bindings are nice also for under 200.00

If you have money to burn and want to be worried about people jacking your gear, go for the Catek FR2s. I love mine, but don't let them out of my sight for a second even when locked up.

I use 2yr old Flow pro fr and like them a lot. The only issue that I have had in two pairs was a chair that came down on top of both highbacks and cracked them. They were still ridable till I got replacements. I haven't used any other modern SB binding so no comparisons from me.

The newer models have ratchets for the top straps instead of the push and play ones that the older models had. This makes adjusting much easier and even more comfortable since you can get them just right.

I know that the NXT versions had an early issue with shoulder bolts (holding the strap to the baseplate) but have heard that the problem has been corrected.

As a side note, my brother was just in town and hadn't ridden in 3yrs. He rode my NS Premier 172, Flows and Malamutes for a day. He was able to carve better than the majority of people on softies at Lovey. He loved the bindings and was stoked on the control that the newer equipment made.

Concussed and KarverKai are on Flows and love them also.

Ink

yeah the little plastic nuts break where the straps attach to the base up by the toes on the inside, reverse the screw ad a washer and a locknut call it good. replace as they break, otherwise solid as the day is long or REI them REI has lifetime warranty on everything they sell.

Dam fine setup thou,

yeah, go with a 3rd strap if you want none of the benefits of softboots and most of the drawbacks of hardboots and some drawbacks that neither of the others have.

makes no sense unless you have a retro fetish or want to feel cool on franken bindings. there's some really good bindings out there that adding a strap to only inhibits performance.

At the moment, I have a set of Technine Pro's. Before them I was on some older Flows. Technine makes a decent binding, but it isn't uber-stiff (although my older boots aren't helping either). I can definately still rail with them though.

I got them at an end of year sale, ugly as sin, but the sub 200$ couldn't be beat.

-Gord

SBSailor, I still love my 3 strap Burton Custom Freeride bindings also. I ride with a softer old-style boot without a double shell design and I enjoy how I get ankle flex and power transfer and can micro-manage my board and still have that secure feeling that the boot is exactly where I want it when I want to shove the gas-pedal to the ground and drive the board hard and not have all the pressure on my quad and calf muscles to maintain edgehold.

I say : RIDE WHAT YOU LIKE.

If you are at SES We definately should hook up for a SBS (Softboot sesson) with video so we can thumb our noses at the eletist bastards among us....

:biggthump

EDIT: +1 for SALOMON

Dingbat, I have a set of Salomon bindings (with the lateral lean "wings" on the highback) I gave to a friend of mine and they indeed are reliable and take a massive beating as well.

post-2724-141842295728_thumb.jpg

ESPI likes them he's a super rad dude. he was also claiming his budweiser promotional board is better than anything else on the market awhile back.

anyway, if you have garbage boots instead on ruining a decent pair of bindings get new boots.

if you have decent boots and still feel the need for 3 straps you ARE ON THE WRONG INTERFACE! there's a reason why no one makes them anymore. it's because they suck. period.

when you use a three strap binding locked out you're basically making your boot into this ski-boot-technology-new-apex-ski-boots-1.jpg

most snowboard specific hard boots have a bigger range of movement than a locked 3 strapper. the whole advantage of softboots is the range of movement.

there's no argument about it except for a few yahoos here and there. the same types that if they were skiers would still be saying sidecut and plastic boots are a just fads.

I say : RIDE WHAT YOU LIKE.

If you are at SES We definately should hook up for a SBS (Softboot sesson) with video so we can thumb our noses at the eletist bastards among us....

:biggthump

EDIT: +1 for SALOMON

Dingbat, I have a set of Salomon bindings (with the lateral lean "wings" on the highback) I gave to a friend of mine and they indeed are reliable and take a massive beating as well.

OMFG what heap did those come out of?

those were garbage when they were new.

I'm not a elitist, you're a jack ass for offering poor advice in regards to soft gear. WTF, the guy was asking for something that is good and is willing to drop coin on it and now you're suggesting raiding the retired rentals bin for sub par decade old bindings that in their day were a pain in the ass because they were too wide in the heel cup so most boots had slop in them unless you have the same vintage salomon boots. Having the boots for those bindings was a nightmare as well as they did not fit in burton and a few other vendor's binding. ****ing stroke of genius to sell a boot that does not work with the most common bindings on the market. but that is salomon.

there's some really incredible softboot stuff out there that's been made in the last 5 years, if you can't make it work get hard boots.

it seems to be, but there are are better binding with the same type of entry that supposedly work better.

I have a set that I've been on all of once and let me tell you they're no better than any other binding I've used of the same vintage. amp 5s are the ones I have. I had ridden them WAY back and hated them but these are better than the ones I hated. one thing that can't be denied is they are not as painful as strap bindings.

people who tout them for carvability I'd really like to know what they are referencing against.

I like most Ride bindings, burton, catek, nidecker 800 and 900s and a few others better.

I'd like to try out their top end bindings but by design I think they won't be that much better. could be wrong though.

bobdea

I have riden flow's from the prototype days. 96' all aluminum: base plate would bend and pull away from mounting disc/then 97' carbon fiber: highback would brake at hinge point like the early burton 3 hole bindings. Both with backpack style pull straps instead of the locking type out today. 2001-2004 were all crap and broke while they were figuring out the cable and locking mechanism.

I have had burton's 2 and 3 strap from 90'-96'/89' kemper 3 strap/92' burton plates/early sims 2 strap/burton race and carrier plates/etc...etc... and currently ride flow amp 9's. They work best with flow boots! In the early days you would have to grind off high spots on your heel to clear the highback. The aluminum highback would also dig into the topsheet and sidewall on your back foot/heelside edge. The in, up and go cannot be beat. I hate to wait and constantly wait for other soggy bottoms or bench warmers to strap in. Set them up properly and they work great every time with no breakage. The only drawback I have is that I love forward lean and the highback on my front foot does dig a little into my calf. I do rotate the highbacks to parallel with the heelside edge with an all mountain/freestyle stance of 15 & -3. If the highback had the hook built in (like the orange mission bindings pictured previously) so that on heelside there was no calf dig I would love it! Maybe there is a franken binding in my near future. I did try a set up burton customs a few years back when flow was having the breakage issues. CRAP. Never again:barf:

My 2 cents has been spent. Take it or leave it on the counter for the next guy. :argue: I love the flow bindings and will continue to ride them on my softie setup:1luvu: